JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
snapshot said:
pinkfox said:
aww cute.

ill put money that shy boy will warm up mighty quick once hes feeling beter and in a home situation...
youd be pretty shy too if you felt like poop your humans had just dumped you strangers had come and taken you and stuck you in puppy prison and then there was a stranger staring at you.
least...i know ID be pretty freeked out by that point.
We've had Molly at home for about a month now and she still flinches when we pet her if she doesn't see our hand reaching to her. Just going to take time I guess! The ones you are rescuing will be so happy to have a loving home!!!!
I am sure hoping so. I know it will take time for them to feel comfortable here, but I am hoping that they will eventually blend into our family. :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, It has been a while since I have posted here...so here are a few quick updates.
The pups have mange....so they will stay with the foster until they get a clean bill of health. I already have 3 pups of my own, and can not afford to take that risk. Will be about a month before they can come "home" I have decided on names....the red boy...Gunner...the GSD looking one...Magnum. I hope they both work out to be great farm dogs.
The weather has been from one end of the scale to the other. From warm sunny days, to severe thunderstorms with tornado's, to snow, and ice. Today, rain with icy precip later this evening. I can't seem to get anything done outside, with this weather. Right now, we are near flooding.....even the ducks are not happy!
Keeping firewood in the garage now, so we have plenty dry stuff. I don't like it in the garage...but, with all the rain, nothing I can do...evenings are cold enough to need a fire. This summer my plan is to build a BIG DRY woodshed!
I have had ample time to catch up on some reading. I have finished 6 books by Beverly Lewis, 3 more to go.
I have been getting spring fever....I know, it is only January...but soon it will be time to set up the grow lights, and get those seeds going. I am saving my TP rolls and seeing them all laying there, I really want to get it going...but I know it is a bit early.
My Aunt Jan passed away a few weeks ago....God rest her soul. She had cancer, but we thought she would kick it...God had different plans. At least she is not suffering any longer. I miss her so much, it hurts still.
Our rescue has been busy through the winter....this makes me fear what spring and early summer will be like. Pot belly pigs are being bred and sold with reckless abandon. There are not enough rescues or sanctuaries to house all of the abandoned PB pigs. I am hoping to be able to make a trip to Indianapolis in March and do a talk on this matter. There is a large meeting of rescues, ACS, and other like minded folks. I just want to get the word out there to the public how many PB pigs are euthanized DAILY because of over breeding.
With this all said....It is time for me to go get a loaf of bread started. We are down to a few slices...and will need some for the weekend. ( we do soup and sandwiches on busy weekends, and this weekend is looking like it will be a busy one)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sounds like everyone is getting crazy weather this winter.

Which Beverly Lewis books did you read, and which ones do you still need to read?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Sounds like everyone is getting crazy weather this winter.

Which Beverly Lewis books did you read, and which ones do you still need to read?
I was reading the series....Abrams Daughters, I am missing...The Revelation, The Sacrifice and The Covenant. I also read the series, Annies People, but missing the first one, The Preachers Daughter.
Summer Hill Secrets series, I only have the first 2....Whispers Down the Lane and Secret in the Willows. This series really interest me, I WILL find the other 8 in that series...as soon as I can afford them.
Another Author I really like is Wanda E Brunstetter. The first series is Brides of Lancaster County I have 3 of the 4, missing A Merry Heart. The next series, Daughters of Lancaster County, I only have The Quilters Daughter.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm not sure which Beverly Lewis books I have, I'll have to check. But, Whispers Down the Lane sounds familiar. I have the 3 that tell the story of Katie, can't recall what the series is called. I couldn't put those books down!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I'm not sure which Beverly Lewis books I have, I'll have to check. But, Whispers Down the Lane sounds familiar. I have the 3 that tell the story of Katie, can't recall what the series is called. I couldn't put those books down!
Oh, I can't either. I just got several of these from my mothers house. Since she passed a few years ago, my step dad has been hoarding or selling everything of hers. Hubby and I went over to replace his broken bed frame, and these were under the bed....I took them. LOL I read 1 every 2 days..for a week. I am down to my last 3...so I slowed down a bit, to save them. LOL

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I just got back from our local auction...they have one every 2 weeks, estate stuff. Sometimes you can get great finds...I always look for tools..garden stuff...canning stuff.
Today, I was able to pick up 12 garden/yard tools, for $10 ! ! ! One of them, I have NO IDEA what it is...maybe a post hole digger thingy?? The end of it has a scoop sorta.

I also got a plastic...55 gal rain barrel for $10. Not too bad! Anyone know what this tool is???

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
NO idea....maybe Joel has a clue? He's the resident tool guy. Great score on those cheap old tools, J!!!! Good to see you, BTW! Miss you very much on here.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
NO idea....maybe Joel has a clue? He's the resident tool guy. Great score on those cheap old tools, J!!!! Good to see you, BTW! Miss you very much on here.
Awww, thanks for the kind words Bee. Seems I have been so busy, I see myself coming and going...like a mirror image. And, its not even spring! Ohhh, I am doomed I say...doomed!! Because winter seems to have forgotten us...tomorrow is going to be sunny and 63....and I was lazy about putting the garden to bed....yesterday I picked a good pot full of Brussels sprouts for supper. So sweet and melt in your mouth! Brussels sprouts, in January! Weird I tell ya!