JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Me and spring have a love/hate relationship. I love to see the earth wake up from her long winter nap....everything in bloom...new life being brought forth...then, planting season starts. My brother was here over the weekend, and wanted to "help" so hubby put him behind the tiller, here he is in the spring garden, getting the onion bed ready.
99_dsc02815.jpg

After he left to go home, hubby and I got busy in the big summer garden. We were able to get 2 - 30 ft rows of green beans planted...and 2 rows of tomato planted, 24 total so far.
99_dsc02818.jpg

This past weekend was HOPPING busy....it started on Thursday.
A woman came and adopted 6 ducks....3 peking, 2 blue/black swedish. However, she brought me 2 rabbits. A black buck, and an albino doe. Just under a year old. Looks like I will have rabbits for the freezer this fall! :)
Then Friday we had a small rescue come in....a micro pig. 7 months old, and 15 pounds. SO CUTE! However, he was raised in a penthouse...and was used to being inside. Ummm, NOT gonna happen...for long. LOL I had him in the barn for the day, brought him in for the night, in a crate...then back outside Saturday morning. Late Saturday morning I had someone come to get some critter cages that were donated to us, to get donations for the rescue. I was able to bring in $100 for feed! AND, she adopted the micro pig!! Whoot!!!!! Saturday afternoon my X sister in law came over to drop off 2 ducks.....Ruen's A pair of them. They are resting in the coop....getting to know everyone. Early evening, we had someone come to get the 2 fish tanks, and stand....they brought 2 bags of cracked corn, and 2 bales of pine shavings in trade. He also bought 6 turkey poults. :cool: Total for the weekend....$130, 2 bags cracked corn, 2 bales of pine bedding.....6 ducks out, micro pig, in and out, pair of breeding rabbits in, and a pair of Ruen ducks in. The gardens are almost finished...and I am worn out!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Don't know why I didn't see this before...but CONGRATS on the new grand baby!!!! Aren't they precious! She is adorable!
Thanks Morel....yep, she is the apple of my eye.....
PinkFox, we have been super busy here....one reason I haven't been able to get on here lately.
Today, not a whole lot happened....finally. I have to take my step dad to get surgery on his foot tomorrow....so most of my day will be shot. UGH! I am going to take advantage of being in the bigger town where the hospital is, and hit up Lowe's for a few plants. :) Oh the trouble I can get in....

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beautiful garden you have there. Can I borrow your brother for a weekend as well?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ahhh, flat land envy!!!

:D
I guess flat land...hilly land.... is like the old argument with curly hair vs straight hair. LOL Flat land is a PAIN to keep from drowning!!! Can you see the raised rows?? That is to keep the plants and seeds from drowning...it is a pain in the behind! However, I guess planting on a hill side would be a pain too. LOL

Avalon1984 Thanks....If I could send him your way, I would, he worked as a Horticulturist for the college in Oxford for 15 years! He knows his stuff....for the most part, LOL He doesn't understand how things grow here in Indiana tho, wet clay... It took us 3 or 4 years to get that bigger garden to look like that, tilling in barn cleanings every year. After everything is planted, I will clean the barn, and lay it in the rows...this way I don't have to walk in water...and, it feeds the roots! :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today was a busy day, just not in the SS way I wanted it to be. Got up this morning to feed animals....and when I got to the barn, I noticed Suzie, my Alpine doe didn't come in the barn.....so I went out to the cabin to get her. She led in easily...then didn't really want her feed. I felt her ligaments, GONE......checked her udder....FULL...I was excited for a brief moment....until I realized today I had to be away from the farm most of the day! NO NO NO! She can NOT have those kids while I am gone! ( but we all know that's how goats work) LOL I rushed through my chores....and had to go pick up my step dad and take him to have foot surgery today. The hospital is over 45 minutes away....and I would be there most of the day. I talked to my neighbors mom, she is home all day, and she agreed to check on Suzie for me throughout the day, and text me if anything happened. *small sigh of relief* Got to the hospital, checked him in..and they took him back. I knew I had about an hour to busy myself, so I decided to run to Lowe's. I don't get to go there very often, because it is so far from home. Got to Lowe's, and picked up a dozen pepper plants, 3 strawberry plants, 240 onion sets, and a 10 lb bag of seed potato's.. Just as I pulled into the spot at the hospital, my cell phone rang, he was finished and headed to recovery...and his DR wanted to talk to me. I rushed inside...and waited only a few minutes for the Dr. He wanted to let me know everything went well...but that step dad NEEDS to take his meds every day. When he got there this morning his BP was 240 over 170!! He didn't take his BP meds...and hasn't in a few days. UGH! So, soon afterwards, he was released to go home, I was so excited to get home....hoping Suzie hadn't kidded yet...SD wanted to stop for something to eat. Jeesh! Rushed through lunch/dinner...got him settled in at home and rushed home to the barn. When I got there the neighbors mom was standing at the fence...I threw it in park, jumped out and ran to the fence....only to find....NO KIDS! :/ In a way I was happy...then again...I want her to kid!!! So, at least another day, or so....unless she is just fooling with me...who knows? Storms moved in, so I finished the chores and headed inside....checked on her again after the storm, still, no kids. More storms tomorrow, and 90 degrees......YUK, I bet she goes tomorrow! I will post pics, when she does finally go...I just hope I am here when she kids!
After the rain, as I walked by the garden I was so happy to see our hard work is paying off...the plants are safe from the water...
99_dsc02826.jpg

I hope the rain holds off for a few days, so I can get the peppers and potato's in this garden.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't you just love days like that?

Your garden looks good. We don't get puddles like that, the rain just drains right thru, so I don't have to mound up all my dirt like that. Makes for much easier gardening!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Deb, we have clay soil here...or, just clay. :/ Not much soil to it. That is why we have to do raised rows....I dont mind really.....the "ditches" in between gives me a place to put the barn cleanings...and makes for better soil every year.
Went out to feed this morning and Suzie is still holding on to those babies. UGH! She nibbled at her feed....not too interested. Her bag is HUGH! Teets are pointing out because she is so full. :lol: She HAS to go soon....right???
Today I will try to get the onions set in....I have 240 to plant...or something like that. LOL Once planted, the spring garden will be full....until I pull out the peas that just gave up on me...then I will have room for something else....Hmmmm, what to plant? LOL