JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday I had to get my brooder brought inside, and warmed up. Of course DH wasnt feeling well...so I took my truck over to the shop..and loaded the 150 pound brooder in the back...grabbed a bale of pine shaveings..and brought it over to the house. Shoved it out of my truck....drug it into the garage...and noticed...BUGS EVERYWHERE! They are crawling off the bottom of the brooder....milipedes...rolly polies..some sort of black little caerpillar looking thingie..YUK! Grab the broom, and start sweeping them out the door. Guess I should have checked that before I drug it into the garage! LOL Got the brooder all swept out...got the heat light on it..and pine shaveings in. After it warmed up, I grabbed the 9 new babies, and put them in there. Jeesh, they look lost in that big old brooder. I know it wont be long, they will be crowded. Its only 4x4. About the time they are getting crowded, I will have new babies hatching...and ready to go in...its a rotation thing.
Weatherman said rain/ice tonight. Just great! I didnt get the firewood in...I didnt get the hose pulled inside...yeah, tomorrow morning will be a mad dash to beat the ice.
Today wasnt too bad weather wise..a few shots of sunshine..not too cold..so I grabbed a cup of coffee....grabbed up the barn cat...and headed for a sunny spot. We just sat there...I talked, he purred. I think thats his way of telling me... " yeah Im listening..and its ok " We sat there for over an hour, untill he saw something more interesting in the brush, and darted off. I guess thats why I dindt get much done today. Oh well....it will all be there for me tomorrow. I did put a few screws in the doors of " Fort Cox" Our newest coop. I noticed a few places where the wood got wet from my mistake of leaving them open in the rain. They warped a little, so I got them back in order.....I hope. Tomorrow, if it doesnt rain too much, I will start cleaning the corners of the hog pen, and lugging that to the new garden spot. Nothing like stirring poo to get a smell hu? Wet poo at that! :/
Well, tomorrw is another day..of excitement im sure.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Yuck on all the bugs!! DH brought the brooder box in the house last week in anticipation of the quail...that never hatched! Thankfully our box was ok. It has been sitting outside in the weather! I am putting 3 dozen BJG eggs in the 'bator tomorrow! I wanted to put them in this evening but with being in the hospital I did not get time to let the 'bator heat up properly so they are going in first thing in the morning. It is so fun to have peeps in the house!! Our garage is to cold!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Fort Cox :gig

Glad you got your brooder all ready. Good thing you didn't hurt yourself hefting that thing around.

Did your cat have anything new to say? :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a dreary rainy day today. The barn kitties are sitting by the front door....just waiting for me to come out. Every time I pass the door, they meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooow, and claw at the door. Oh, I know they want in...that is, untill they was to get in and be nose to nose with my Doberman..who by the way thinks kitties make good dinner. :rolleyes: I am headed out there in a few, I will take the spoiled rotten kitties some warm goats milk. Hmmm, I wonder if THATS whats makeing them so....pudgy? I like to think its all the mice..and not all the feed and milk. I do still get a "present" almost daily on my door step. He brings the mouse or mole...and he gets milk. Good trade.
This is Chubs...he is a little standoffish..but will let ME pet and cuddle him..
99_chubs.jpg

This one is Kiki...he is my "shoulder rider" Very vocal...verl loveing...
99_kiki.jpg

edited to say: Notice on the ground in front of Kiki...another "present" But, this one is still alive....for a few more minutes.:/

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I don't mind the presents, as long as they leave them outside!

Somedays, its better to just 'sit and visit the animals' than to actual waste the day working... seriously I believe it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow lugging that brooder sounded like a big job. awkward isn't it loading big heavy stuff in the back of a truck :)

I hate those bugs whatever they are. I turn over a water bucket setting too long in one spot, or move wood in the grass or something and those suckers are there...ick...but? lol

my barn cat little kitty is standoffish to everyone but me...well...me too...she is just not a cuddle cat. but yea, she comes on the back porch and is nice when she wants food....lol

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, Anyone want a cat!!!!??? I had forgotten to close the coops, its dark...and raining...OF COURSE! :rolleyes: So, get on the mud boots...grab the flashlight...put on my stocking cap..and head out into the dark. By now..the cats are usually snuggled in deep because of the rain. So, off I go the few hundred yards to the first coop. Its a smaller one, only about 5'6" on the low side. Thats ok, im only 5 ft tall! So, I get inside..get the 4 doors closed...check everyones water and feed..and head out to the other coop. I step out the door...turn around to lock the door...and WHAM!!!!!!! CAT ON MY SHOULDER!! O M G !:barnie I will be surprised if the Sherriff doesnt show up here in a bit. I know the neighbors about a half mile away heard me! When he hit my shoulder, I slammed into the coop...head first...flashlight in the water...cat CLAWING my shoulder to hang on. SERIOUSLY! I thought this cat LOVED me! I think he is trying to give me a heart attack! After a few seconds, I realised it was kiki...and well.....we are ok with one another..again. He rode on my shoulder to the other coop...cant throw him in the water and mud..altho I SERIOUSLY thought about it! I know he was just wet, and cold..and wanted "momma" to cuddle him, but JEESH! NOW I smell like wet cat..UGH! Im off to the shower. And yes..the cats still alive...for now. :p

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
:lol: OMG!! That is freakin hilarious!!!!:gig

I would have PIMP if I had seen that happen to you IRL!!!:pop

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
:lol: You do have some misadventures with that cat don't you.

You know you can't get rid of that cat because then you would not have this funny stuff to write and make every one roll.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to say...haveing a cat around is a first for me. All my life I have been severly allergic to cats. So even around the farm, growing up...I dont remember a cat. Hmmm. Maybe they just stayed well hidden? So when these two skinny, matted cats showed up, I was in a quandry of what to do. Of course...feed them came to my mind first. Then Chubs..the biggest one was FULL of dog burrs. He was very timid...and it took me what seemed like forever to get close enough to touch him, but finally he made friends. HIS MISTAKE! LOL I got the scissors, and a brush, and dove in. This poor cat HAD to be sore, from all the matting, and burrs. He even has little sores from them. Poor baby. I didnt even think about my allergies...I just took care of his issues then came in and showered. Later, I realised...no sneezing...no watery eyes! Hmmmm. So, even tho I didnt grow up with cats....we are learning together. Me how to handle them, and them how to handle human contact. Im sure they need wormed...shots..and I know kiki needs to be fixed. Chubs is already altered. Someone at some time MUST have cared for him, and loved him. Thats what makes it even sadder. How can someone say they love an animal, then dispose of them like yesterdays newspaper? He has gotten in the house twice...so I know he used to be a house cat. The last time he ran to the living room, crawled under the Christmas tree..and just layed down. I hated throwing him back outside...but..the dogs would never have let him stay inside. Lucky for him, the dogs were outside at the time. At least they are both males..and I wont have to worry about kittens! LOL Oh well....every day seems to be a learning day with my new furry friends.