JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay that is hysterical! I would have been on the ground if I had seen a pink and purple pig! PUNK ROCK DUDE!!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well....looks like the 4th of July is a bust. No cookout....no fireworks...just rain.
I was able to weed the corn patch...it was getting hard to tell the weeds from the corn. :/ But, its all done, and I laid weed barrier cloth in the walkways. It looks MUCH better. Hubby and his brother started splitting wood. They were able to get about a half rick split, by hand, before the rain came in. I had to put Mary in the stall in the barn....she would not go in the barn even with the rain! UGH! She is still terrified of the larger sheep...so its something we will have to work on. She is so sweet! Straightened the house a bit...then hubby and I treated ourselves to Chinese for dinner. Just a lay around boreing day....I feel like I need to sleep...but...if I do I wont sleep tonight.
I was able to get my carders for the wool...so next week I will be getting my carding lessons , and spinning. I am excited! I will try to get pics...as I go. Another SS lesson to learn. ;)
I also got a bag of raw wool, uncleaned....to try to get the lanolin from. This will be interesting. I put my hand down inside the bag...and just rubbed the wool...my hand came out literally brown with lanolin. :D Maybe I will work on that tonight...maybe. :/ I just cant seem to find any energy....I guess the last few days with the grandkids is catching up with me. God knew it would, so he gave me a rainy day to relax, and catch up on rest. ;)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
We are just about to get the rain from the front that came by you yesterday. Sorry your 4th was a bummer.

I wished it had started raining here after 10:30 last night. The neighbors shot fireworks till about 1 am. :rolleyes: But, I will have to say they were pretty. Must of put out lotsa bucks for them.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
8 July 09

Been busier than a one legged man in a butt kickin contest!
Seems everyone, and everything is getting sick around this place. UGH! The sheep have a load of worms...so I wormed them, and we gave the 2 youngens thier shots. It took Sonny boy 3 or 4 days to get over that. He wouldn't come near me even for feed! He was really miffed about the whole shot thing. LOL
Now, it seems the 2 pigs have pneumonia. I am headed out there this morning to give them shots. This should be interesting. Hubby and I will have to wrestle these 80 pound pigs, so I can give the shot in the neck, under the skin. :/
My grapes have "birds eye rot" Its a fungus, from all the humidity and heat we have had.....no grape jelly THIS year......and..to top it ALL off...my back is giving me fits. NO NO NO!! I dont have TIME to get down and sick. Going to try to take it easier for a few days, and hope the old back rights itself soon.
This weekend we are headed to KY for my sisters housewarming. All I can think of is the work I will not get done, while lazeing around her bonfire. :p Guess I will have to try to get alot done before we go. Its only a day...but have you ever thought about all the stuff one does in a day..and how fast it can add up?
One the good side...yes, there is a good side.. LOL yesterday I was taught how to card my wool, and use a drop spindle to make yarn. Its ALOT easier than I expected it to be. My "teacher" said once I get it down pretty good, she will bring over a spinning wheel...and teach me to use it. Oh, and she is giving me the spinning wheel!! I cant waite to start spinning my own yarns. Of course, for now, my "yarn" is lumpy bumpy...but its strong...and I like it well enough. One day I will be a "master" at it! LOL OK, maybe not a master, but I hope to get good at it at least! LOL
Oh jeesh, already going on 8 am, and I havent been outside yet! Time to run! Have a great day all!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
What kind of grapes do you raise?

I have one variety (Reliance seedless) that seems to get that fungus every YEAR! Yet my Niagra grape and my Concord do not have the problem AT ALL.

Anyone out there know how to organically solve this problem ... without cutting down the Reliance and planting more Niagras? :lol: :p

This too damp weather seems to be great for causing us problems.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My grapes are Concords. I have no idea how to organically resolve this issue...so I went today and bought a fungicide. :hide I hate to use it, but I really dont want to lose my grapes either. Darn this weather!
ETA: this is a pic of the grapes..sad isnt it!??
99_grapes.jpg

Check out this site...
http://fruit.cfans.umn.edu/grape/IPM/anthracnose.htm
There is a limited variety of organic sprays allowed under regulation. Organic growers can use Lime Sulfur or copper sprays, as well as cultural practices, to control anthracnose. Make sure to verify that each registered fungicide is permitted within the organic certification program.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That is exactly how my Reliance grapes look.

I think they do not get enough air circulation where they are planted. The garage is on the south side of these and it blocks some of the air.

I bought fungicide for them last year and it really helped. I am not certified organic or anything like that - I just hate to spray. If there were an easier and more earth (and stomach) friendly way I would sure prefer it.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
justusnak said:
8 July 09

Been busier than a one legged man in a butt kickin contest!
Seems everyone, and everything is getting sick around this place. UGH!

......and..to top it ALL off...my back is giving me fits. NO NO NO!! I dont have TIME to get down and sick.

All I can think of is the work I will not get done, while lazeing around her bonfire. :p
Take the lazy time and enjoy it. Your back will thank you for it, too! Have fun at the housewarming!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
10 July 09

Well, my second oldest turned 27 today. :th I feel soooo old!
Grandson stayed the night with us last night. He is 8 going on 40! :lol: Smart kiddo....just NOT farm animal savvy. LOL
We went out to feed the sheep this morning, and he stopped at the gate and asked me.. : grandma, are they going to attack me?" Once he got inside the fence, and saw just how docile they are, he was thrilled. He and I hauled 4 hoses out to the barn, and scrubbed the 2 water tanks for the sheep out, and refilled them. Its great haveing a helper! I normally haul them alone, but he took 2 and I took 2, it was much easier. This morning the neighbor girls wanted to " make 3 bucks for the pool" so I set them in the garden, pulling weeds. What great little workers they are. I made them all an instant cappacino....gave them $5.00 each, and sent them home. :p Im sure thier moms will be over later, "thanking" me. LOL Boy, give a 12 and 15 yr old girl a capaccino...and listen to the talk. :lol: fast and non stop! Im sure thier moms were glad they went to the pool. I gave one to my grandson...early...so he could work it off before his dad came to get him. Hmmm, didnt work. :/ When my son got here, I told him.." Guess what Skylar had" and Sky jumped in...( now, just think about a 45 record, set to 76 speed) "grandma gave me a capacinno, I really liked it, I wanna use my money to get som more at Wal Mart, Did I tell ya I liked it dad? We watered the sheep, I got wet, the sheep are nice, and soft, and let me pet them. " On and on and on! :lol: Im sure by the time he got home, it was nap time. ( caffiene crash) My son just looked at me and quietly mouthed....thanks alot! :gig THATS what grandmas are for!! ;)
So...this afternoon I went to the cemetary. They finally set my mothers headstone. So beautifull. I am just glad to see it in place.

The gardens are weeded....the animals fresh water....Oh, and the pigs...yeah...They seemed to have come down sick. I called the vet, and it looks like pneumonia. So, the vet gave me a shot for each, and said.." just give it to them under the skin, in the neck area" Yeah, like THATS SO EASY! :rolleyes: These "little piggies" are weighing in about 80 pounds or better....and NOT wanting a shot, to say the least!!! So Hubby and I go out there...now hubby is NOT into the "farming thing" at all....I grab the male by the hind legs, and hand him off to hubby....after a few minutes of squealing, and fighting, he settles down...( the pig) LOL and I straddled his shoulders to give the shot. Yeah, ummm, DONT DO THIS! He was freaked out all over again! :/ I ALMOST ended up on my behind. I was finally able to stick a pig. :rolleyes: ( i know, sick humor) The little female was freaking out, so I waited untill later to do her. By this time hubby had to go to work..so I enlisted the help of the neighbor...who is taking vet classes! She came over to "chat" when I said...you are going to be a vet, right? She nodded,giving me " the look" and I said, wanna practice? She took a step back and asked me "how?" I told her I needed to give the female pig a shot...and explained the process. Thank goodness she agreed. Now, the female saw what happened to the male earlier..and was NOT going to take it laying down. I grabbed her hind legs...and tried to hand her off...but she is a fighter. It took both of us, holding one leg each...for about 3 or 4 minutes, untill she settled. The male came running up on us...I just knew we were in trouble. I finally got him back enough so I could straddle the female, and give the shot. That was 2 days ago. Today, I went out there..and put feed in the trough...and they both came running...and fighting for feed! :celebrate I guess the shots worked pretty fast. They hadn't eaten in 2 days prior to the shots....I was getting worried! Dont like seeing skinny pigs! :/ But, it looks like they are coming back around...and feeling better. Whew! disaster diverted!
Tomorrow I will be in KY for the day....I just know I will be glad to get home. Its just over an hour drive one way, and I get so sore from sitting.
Hope everyone has a great Saturday!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
What a piggy rodeo! I am so glad they are feeling better.

If they were much bigger you would not have been able to wrestle them!

For future reference if you fasten a sturdy gate in the corner of a good sturdy fence you can use the swing of the gate to squeeze the critter against one side of the fence and get the job done. It is the poor man's squeeze chute.

Just another of the weird things I have learned through the ages - working with a lot of horses and watching people work other large stock.