JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
For future reference if you fasten a sturdy gate in the corner of a good sturdy fence you can use the swing of the gate to squeeze the critter against one side of the fence and get the job done. It is the poor man's squeeze chute.
Thanks FarmFresh. What a great idea! I guess I was just flustered about them being sick..didn't stop to think of an easier way! LOL

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Believe me I would have never thought to do that either. :hu

I was watching a old cowboy work on calves like that one time. His son would herd them into the corner with a horse and then a helper on the ground would help him "shut the gate" while the horse kept the calf from backing out.

They had put EXTRA fence posts in at strategic locations. The gate was fastened to a pole about a foot or so from the corner and there was another post in the fence line that was by the end of the gate. That way you could actually tie the gate shut behind the calf.

The old man called the shots and gave the shots. Sure made it look easy. Might be worth adding a couple of fence posts and a gate to a corral! The gate was tied back against the fence when it was not in use.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
12 July 09

Yesterday Hubby and I went to my sisters place in KY for a house warming. What a looooooooooong day!
We left here about noon, stopped and got a burger on the way, ( my sister is one that thinks dinner is served about 7pm) :rolleyes:
My SIL wanted me to bring my wool, and cards, and show her how to spin. Of course I took the drop spindle...and plenty wool! ;)
There were so many people there....friends, family, co workers..I think about 40 adults, and maybe 20 children. It was a MAD HOUSE! :lol: Women in the kitchen cooking, kids running in and out, kittens being chaseed, held, and chased more. The beer was flowing...and finally the cornhole games were drug out, and it was on. I myself dont play...but Hubby is really good at it. OH, and my nephew was there...he is the son of my brother who was KIA in 2000. Havent seen him in a while...so it was a great surprise to see him. He is in the Marines, and just happened to be driving through this weekend on his way to Texas. After dinner..and everyone settled in to just visit, I took my spinning out to the garage...and started. Some of my SIL family were so excited...they were taking pictures! :rolleyes: They had never seen that before.
I am the "hick" of the family..so I guess this just fit in, with my persona! LOL I told me sister...we saw a roadkill bunny on the way, and that I was going to stop and grab it...then when we got there say...Hey Sis!! I brought dinner, and it was FREE! Fire up the grill!!! :lol: My sister said I should have, my SIL said she would have " died of embarassment" Now I wish I would have! ;) My SIL is VERY " uptown, and snooty" Everytime she introduced me to HER family, she would say..." this is Beckys sister...she is the one that has a farm, and cans her own food, that she grows" She was trying to make me look like a hick, but it backfired...and MOST of her family was very interested in hearing about the farm, and our SS ways. SO HA HA TO HER! :p
We stayed WAY too late...and didnt get home untill midnight. I had animal chores to get finished, so didn't get to bed untill almost 2 am. What a day! Today hubby and I are going to go load firewood..and try to get a few truckloads in at least. Another long day.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Don't you just love it when Snooty backfires on people.

I know I do. I have relatives that won't have much to do with me because they think I am strange. Well, heck fire, I am strange but that is beside the point. LOL

One day they will be beggin for your knowledge or wishing they had paid more attention.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I find as the times are getting tougher people are seeing me as less weird and much more interesting. All those "strange" things we do like canning, gardening and making soap seem so much more important now to people who are worried about their jobs and trying to make ends meet on less.

Power to you girl!:thumbsup

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have the same thing in my family. My fil motto used to be"they still sell that". It's backfiring on him big time. With things getting so hard for everyone people are really starting to understand our efforts in Ss.

Glad to hear you had a nice family reunion. It's nice to visit and then get to leave!!! :D

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
justusnak said:
I am the "hick" of the family..so I guess this just fit in, with my persona! LOL I told me sister...we saw a roadkill bunny on the way, and that I was going to stop and grab it...then when we got there say...Hey Sis!! I brought dinner, and it was FREE! Fire up the grill!!! My sister said I should have, my SIL said she would have " died of embarassment" Now I wish I would have! My SIL is VERY " uptown, and snooty" Everytime she introduced me to HER family, she would say..." this is Beckys sister...she is the one that has a farm, and cans her own food, that she grows" She was trying to make me look like a hick, but it backfired...and MOST of her family was very interested in hearing about the farm, and our SS ways. SO HA HA TO HER!
I hear ya! My BIL and I are the only ones who still do any canning anymore. But I agree with everyone - her attitude will backfire her everytime. People will want to know and are eager to know basic stuff as the economy continues to tank.

It was wonderful to hear that you were able to show off your new wool skills! YOU GO GIRL! :clap

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We have a friend whose wife's favorite saying is: "why don't you just buy it at Albertson's?" Albertsons being the grocery chain she goes to.
SO's family think we are "way out there". They don't trust us at all. They keep trying to check on us, as if we were teenagers doing something wrong. In their eyes, if you don't make lots of money and spend lots of money on stuff, you must be doing something illegal or are lazy. They keep trying to get us to work for them for next to no money. I tell 'em we don't need work, we got plenty of that, but we can use the money, so if you're going to pay us a fair wage, we'll do the work.
FIL is beginning to realize, that we do work hard and is also beginning to appreciate it. (Maybe the home canned goods we keep giving him, had some influence) I think it's because his wife grew up poor in the Ozarks. I'm finding out she had to do all that self sufficient stuff we are trying to learn. I've started pumping her for information and advice.
It is fun though, when these same snooty people end up coming to you asking for a jar of those great homemade pickles you brought to the last shindig!! :plbb :lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Yes - and for SOME family members I would be happy to provide those pickles for them .... for about $5.00 a jar! :lol: