JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You know whats even FUNNIER!?? After she tried to make me look like the " hick" She later asked me if I had pickled any beets yet...and if she was getting some. I politely told her...I wasn't sure if the beets were going to produce this year. ( ok, so I told a little white lie, sorta, they are not ready yet! :p ) What I SHOULD have said was....YOU buy some beets, and everything to pickle them, and I will only charge you a 10% take home "fee" for showing you how to can them. :D
Oh, and she was telling her family.." SHE is raiseing a pig for US to put in the freezer" To which I replied...." Yeah, I get the hard part, they get the rewards" :/
Then this evening she called to tell me... " I turned into a real home maker...I cut all the corn off the cobs, that was left from the cookout, and put it in baggies, in the freezer" I sorta giggled and said..." yeah, but will you actually USE it?" I know, that was mean...but seroiusly, I bet it gets thrown in the trash. ALL that corn...our piggies or chickens could eat! :rolleyes:
Oh well...darned " city folks" :p

12 July 09
Today, hubby and I hauled 5 truckloads of firewood in...and we started splitting it ... with an ax and splitting awl...and stacking. We were able to get about 2 ricks stacked. :/ My old body is BEGGING me to just lay down. Of course, I dont listen to the voices in my head! ;) ONE more cuppa coffee....then MAYBE I will be ready. GOTTA get my caffiene in me, so I know the old ticker will tick all night!;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
15 July 09

So yesterday, I spent several hours in the garden...on my knees, pulling weeds. Some days I love to get " close and personal" with the garden. gives me a chance to really check things out. Unfortunately, I was able to see that those darned Japanese beetles LOVE green beans. DE does nothing to those darned beetles. :/ I have been taking a coffee can with water out there, and knocking them into the water, then serving them up to the chickens. YUM YUM! Well...SOME of the chickens. I threw about 20 or so in with the Buff orps...they looked at the beetles, and walked away! UGH! All that work for nothing! Now they all go to the mutt chickens....they LOVE them! Should be about a week or 2 when my canning starts. I know, its late, but this last wet and cold spring has really slowed things down a bit for me. Now when it all starts coming in, I will make a mad dash to the finish line, before winter.
Oh...also....my sisters...the wonderfull city folks that they are...has planned a "girls day out" and has informed me that I HAVE to go. This "day out" will be in Cincinatti....starting with dinner at a 5 star resteraunt, and ending with a broadway type production of Momma Mia. :/ Includeing box seats.:rolleyes: Now....normally a "day out" for me is going to the local Wally world, and maybe hitting the goodwill. SOMETIMES grabbing a burger. Yup, THATS my kinda day out. :p I was informed there is a dress code for the resteraunt. No jeans...no tennies...I have to wear dress pants, blouse, and possibly a blazer..and dress shoes. OH, and I was informed, there will be a guy standing at the table the whole time we eat...and when our water glasses get low, he snaps a finger, and someone comes running with fresh water. :lol: I told my sisters....I do NOT want to be stared at, while I make a fool of myself, not knowing which fork to use when! And there is someone in the bathroom, waiting to hand a towel to ya when you wash your hands. I can tell this person will get a workout, I am sure...because I will drink LOTS of water...just to watch them run about keeping MY glass full! ;) I already dread this...its just not me. I think they are doing this to me....so they can laugh later. :/ " Dress up the monkey, and watch it dance" sorta thing. Maybe I will get lucky, and come down sick by Saturday!!!:p I was told I cant backout....the reservations are made, the tickets are bought. UGH! Seriously...ME in an UPTOWN situation!?? :th

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
That kind of day out would be a nightmare for me, too.

You should plan one for them - a trip to WalMart, then to Goodwill, lunch would be BBQ by a local church trying to raise money, a stop by the farmer's market, etc.

Oh, and it needs to be on a Friday so you can stop at all the yard sales on the way. ;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
punkin said:
That kind of day out would be a nightmare for me, too.

You should plan one for them - a trip to WalMart, then to Goodwill, lunch would be BBQ by a local church trying to raise money, a stop by the farmer's market, etc.

Oh, and it needs to be on a Friday so you can stop at all the yard sales on the way. ;)
:yuckyuck

I was thinking goodwill....and wild food forageing! HAHAH!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Justus!

It is so funny you reacting that way! Several years ago they had a contest for a free makeover ... it included dinner "on the town" and a night in a fancy hotel.

It was an essay contest at school and several kids nominated ME! (I don't possibly understand why. :lol:) Well I won. :barnie It was awful. Pedicure, manicure, EYEBROW WAXING, hair CUT and color, high heels(!), they even gave me NEW UNDER WARE! Then there were pictures! I was never so glad to get the the hotel with hubby and clean the mess off!

They just don't understand folks like us.

By the way ...

Last year we bought a Swisher 10 ton MANUAL log splitter. It is horizontal and works with two levers and a hydraulic. Less than $200 on Amazon and works like a charm on most logs. I could split enough for 2 days burning in about 30 minutes and no body aches!
:thumbsup

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FF, I am DEFINATELY going to have to look into that log splitter. Hubby and I are getting up in our years...and I dont think either of us have too many "ax swinging years" left. :p
PICTURES!?? :th I have already informed my sisters...NO CAMERAS! I told them if they do, I will give them the "Number one" sign in every photo! :lol: Oh, thenmy oldest sister told me I " really need to get my nails done" HAS, THATS where I draw the line. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! Its bad enough I have to put on the "monkey suite" I absolutely will NOT paint my face like a clown, and put on fake claws!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Ha ha you crack me up! :lol: You sound SO much like me! :gig

Here is a picture of what we bought. http://www.amazon.com/Swisher-12428...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1247663409&sr=8-1

There are still some BIG logs that just won't fit but after you split them once (or so) you can finish them here. It was cheap and works slow enough to be less scary. I am sure you could still get hurt, but just not as fast!

We used ours all of last season and split close to 2 cords of wood on it. It was small enough I rolled it into our front "company coat closet" between uses. :p

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FF, I looked at the "manual" splitters...and was wondering..just how "manual" are they? I mean...hubby and I are pushing 50, and altho we have strength..it wont last forever! LOL I was really wanting a gas powered one, but WOWSA~ $$$$$. :ep

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
If you folks lived closer to me I would be happy to rent you mine for a discount price of $20 a day. :rolleyes: :D
Now see....we all need to move closer..and start our own community! ;) Wouldnt our president LOVE that!?? :lol:

Latest posts