JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
so sorry to hear about this rough couple of days. when i was reading your posts it reminded me of a sheep farm site i'd seen... wow... 3 years ago? but it said something that i've always remembered.

here is the site:
http://www.fishwhistle.com/

i think she has a great Q&A and "10 reasons"...and a cute story as well.

but what she underscores is that sheep can be hard to raise and as she said 'sheep were born to die' - so i hope you can take comfort that even 'experts' have these things happens.

dont blame yourself - at least they had a loving home at the end.
Thanks for that site. I have read that sheep " look for a way to die" Of course, I read that AFTER I started in with sheep. Just like my turkeys...they too will "look for a way to die" Something I didnt realise, untill it was too late, and I had fallen in love with a handfull of stupid birds! :/
Oh, I still raise turkeys..and I am sure I will continue to raise sheep...it just hurts so much to lose them.
Thanks everyone for the well wishes....onward and upward...right?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Congrats about the new baby granddaughter!!!!!! Bet she's gonna be adorable. :love

Sorry about the sheep. :( Sounds like the old owners had trouble with them and culled them from their flock. You gave them a great home and showed them love. That's all we really can do sometimes. :hugs

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Well....I went out this morning..and Autumn was taking her last few breaths. I went inside to try and retrieve the babies...I could not get in the cervix. It felt like it was almost sewn shut. The babies were not moveing...she passed with her head in my lap. :( I tried all I could....I couldn't save this one either. I just dont know what I am doing wrong. Maybe I am not cut out to raise sheep!? I am second guessing myself now, on my shetlands. Maybe I should just sell them all...and go a different rout...I dont know. My head is spinning...im worn out..and I cant think straight.
J, please don't feel that way...you gave those girls the best care they could have received. As you had mentioned before about Pearl, these sheep were someone else's culls, evidenced by the different farm tags in their ears. They've obviously had difficulty before and were culled before they could have worse problems.

Entirely NOT your fault! Everyone told me the same thing when I purchased sheep....."Sheep come out of the womb looking for a place to die." It's really a roll of the dice with all livestock and sometimes you lose and lose big. Not necessarily by any mismanagement of any kind.

You are a good shepherd, a good sheep mama..... :hugs :hugs

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I am going to try to just pick myself up, and go on. Its so hard...
I am headed to Indianapolis this afternoon, come hell or high water, to see my grandbaby girl!! I know I wont be able to hold her....but I just have to see her. I need a little change of scenery...for a few hours at least.
She is the litte bit of sunshine that has poked through all this darkness that is trying to engulf me. I NEED SUNSHINE! :love

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
justusnak said:
:love Kaylen Ilene. Our first granddaughter!!!
Congratulations on the grand daughter, J!! Glad to hear mama and daughter are doing well.

Sorry about your sheep. At least they had a good life with you. :hugs

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
10 Jan 10

So I spent the whole day in Indianapolis...visiting with my son, DIL, and Kaylen Ilene. She is so precious....so tiny. Her little hand is about the size of a dime. :/ I was able to reach through and hold her hand...and rub her little face and legs. What a great gift from God. I cried at her bedside..and prayed for her...and sang to her... you are my sunshine. Through this last week of darkness...of loseing those 2 Ewes, we got our little ray of sunshine...Kaylen Ilene.
99_kaylen.jpg

Momy and Daddy are holding up pretty well..and both are soo proud!
She is doing amazeingly well. Her oxygen is at 22%. Room air is 21%...so the doctors are really feeling good about her.
When I went in to say goodnight to my little angle....I softly told her I was leaving...and that I loved her, and I would see her soon. She raised her little hand, as if to wave goodbye. I know...just a coincindence...but then I blew her a kiss through the glass, and again...her hand came up, and went to her face. Like she was kissing me back. :love The Lord knows...this is just what I needed...to restore my strength.
I want to thanks each and every one of you for being here with me dureing this trying time..you may never understand how much it means to me.