JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Kel...its definately a work in progress. ;)
Bee, your not getting your pig!?? Awww. What happened? I hope all of your sisters pigs made it! I know you were worried about pneumonia, with the muddy conditions they were in.

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Shetland sheep are cute, cute, cute! I haven't been able to convince hubby to let me get some...the last time I looked, I ended up with 3 mini horses instead! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Thanks Kel...its definately a work in progress. ;)
Bee, your not getting your pig!?? Awww. What happened? I hope all of your sisters pigs made it! I know you were worried about pneumonia, with the muddy conditions they were in.
Just, since I'm getting this big ol' milk cow and she will be having a calf, add on a sheep....I decided that was enough livestock for this place.

I was only getting the pig because I needed an extra grazing animal to help my sheep keep down the grass. Now I will have two large animals, hence making it necessary to only get one sheep for now. If I think the pasture will support everyone, I will add to that sheep later.

Pigs are okay and I had one when I was young that was quite a pet....but they are not my favorite livestock to deal with. They can do some damage with their rooting, you can't really put a rope around their neck and expect they can't pull out of it, so they are hard to transfer or load on a truck.

Maybe one day, huh? I don't want to turn my place into my sis's farm...devoid of a blade of green grass! :p

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't want to turn my place into my sis's farm...devoid of a blade of green grass!
I totally understand that!!! We have plenty grass here....well..it seems for now. :rolleyes: I just came in from mowing.....2 hrs, and only have half done! I Might have to mow in the pasture...I dont think these 2 sheep will be able to get it down....its pretty tall...maybe 8 inches. I will give them another week...and see how they do. We have about 2 acres of woods...I need to fence off. Maybe I will put my pigs in there....one day! Adding sheep this year is enough I think....plus we will definately have the feeder pigs.
Planted the radishes today...and after I cool down, I think I will go out and plant my beets. Hopefully I can get them in the ground....supposed to rain tomorrow. YUK!
So I took a pic of my taters....here they are, coming right along!!
99_taters5may09.jpg
Im excited!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
The sheep are beautiful! My one sheep owning friend has two Shetlands (and something else I can never remember). Her Luna looks like your April. This is my son with her Adam, a few years ago.
BlessingoftheAnimals2007.jpg

If only I had the space, I'd have a pair of Shetlands. :cool:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my!! He is BEAUTIFULL!!! :love My little boy SHOULD look just like that, one day...LOL

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Good deal on the lawn mower! We just got a freebie one from my papa too. He and granny just bought 15 acres and will have to mow with a tractor so he gave us his riding mower, it's a Statesman, on oldie but goodie! So much easier on my shoulders! Love the pic of the sheep but don't they look funny right after they are sheared? :lol: They look so skinny!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes Lori...they look scraggly...I cant waite untill Nelly starts growing her wool back! LOL They really ARE healthy tho! :p

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Oh my!! He is BEAUTIFULL!!! :love My little boy SHOULD look just like that, one day...LOL
He has the personality to match too, just the sweetest boy.