JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I plan to have LOTS of hands on time with my boy...to keep him gentle! I hope so anyways...

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh, man...I STILL WANT SOME!!!

Here's a funny story about me...for a while my hubby had to spend time out of town every week for business...and it seemed like every time he went out of town, I added another bird or animal...

Friends quipped that when husbands leave, most wives buy jewelry or clothes, but I am the only person that buys livestock!

And my hubby is flying out of town AGAIN on Saturday- missing Mother's Day and our TWENTY FIFTH wedding anniversary...! I can just see what he's going to be giving me while he's gone! Shetland sheep...and I MUST
have a boy with curly horns! :lol:

Leanne :cool:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cybercat said:
Oh, man...I STILL WANT SOME!!!

Here's a funny story about me...for a while my hubby had to spend time out of town every week for business...and it seemed like every time he went out of town, I added another bird or animal...

Friends quipped that when husbands leave, most wives buy jewelry or clothes, but I am the only person that buys livestock!

And my hubby is flying out of town AGAIN on Saturday- missing Mother's Day and our TWENTY FIFTH wedding anniversary...! I can just see what he's going to be giving me while he's gone! Shetland sheep...and I MUST
have a boy with curly horns! :lol:

Leanne :cool:
Oh Cyber...I couldn't agree MORE!! GO...RUN...GET THE SHEEP!
I am NOT an enabler! :p
I wish you were close to me...the gal I got mine from is selling ALL hers....She wants to concentrate on Baby Doll Sheep. She has some BEAUTIFULL Shetlands!!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
7 May 09

Rain rain...and did I say...rain!??? Maybe I should get rid of all the chickens, and just raise DUCKS! They are the only ones here that dont mind all this darned rain!
I have laundry pileing up...I might have to break down and use the dryer. UGH! They are calling for severe storms this afternoon. I am SO OVER THIS RAIN!!
I was able to get my beets planted..well..2 small rows. I bought something new this year in the beets. They are called Chioggia Guardsmark Beet, I got them from Gurneys. They are red and white striped! Should be interesting. I like to try new things in the garden from time to time. Im wondering how well they hold thier color when canned. Hmmmmm.
Anyways....I was able to get the lambing pen done in the barn. Nothing special...but a safe place for the Ewes to have thier lambs, and get aquainted for a few days, untill I turn them out. I know....putting the cart before the horse sorta deal, I dont even have the ram yet! LOL But, in my defense...It was raining, and was something I could do in a dry barn, and still be productive! LOL
One of the buff orps went broody on me...so I drug out the broody pen, and plopped her but in there with 14 eggs! Might as well use the power of mother nature. Now my Turkey hen is laying ANOTHER clutch of eggs! This is her second clutch this year. Im hopeing they are fertile. I know one thing...I wont let HER set them !LOL She is too mean!
So, im off to town, hopefully before the rain...then back to clean this dump we call home. LOL I really need some nice days, so I can clean the carpets! COME ON SUNSHINE!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
8 May 09

Well.....today I went and picked up my little Ram. He is only 8 weeks old, and still needs to be bottle fed some....but he does eat lamb pellets, and drinks some water. He is sooooooooooo cute...I would like you all to meet.....

Sonny Boy ( originally Sunshine)
99_sonnyboy.jpg

He Bawled in the back of the truck all the way home, for his momma...and I bawled in the front of the truck, all the way home...feeling bad for taking him from his momma. His Momma was sold..and I had 2 options....go get him now...and bottle feed for a few more weeks..or let him go with his momma to her new home, and go get him from them later. I just didnt want him to go to another farm...and take a chance of "something happening" to him.
So, I spent the last few hours in the barn....holding him...trying to get him to take a bottle. The "girls" ( April and Nelly) are NOT impressed. They try to butt him through the fence. Guess he will have to stay in the lambing pen for a few weeks....untill he can hold his own.
So.....thats part of my "squirel challenge" Wool...and maybe one day...meat.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks...he is a handfull...and the Ewes do NOT approve of him. Poor little guy. So I will have to give him all the love he needs, for a week or so. darn! :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Awww, I would've bawled, too.....would've tried to talk dh into letting me bring him in front on my lap! I hope he takes to the bottle better than my little Ginger Peach....but he is 8 weeks, so if sheep are like goats, he should be ok....grumpy, but ok....without milk.

I like Sonny Boy better than Sunshine for a ram. Imagine him as a big studly ram named Sunshine! Sonny Boy is more manly. And you can sing him songs to the tune of Danny Boy and change the words...... :lol:

Oops, now I have "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy, when skies are gray....." running through my head!

Now you do, too.... :D