JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Back rubs...chin scratches..and plenty good food.
That is all any animal could ever want. You were obviously chosen to provide her with that for her last few months. It was a wonderful gift to her.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Justus, I'm so sorry. You did everything to your best ability. At least she knows someone loved her.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
6 Jan 10

Since the loss of Pearl..and the babies..I have really thought about our situation here. I keep telling my self..this is what happens sometimes with rescues. You cant save them all..even tho we try. It still hurts..but I must concentrate now on the others. Autumn will be lambing soon, and I will need to focus on her more. I have baby chicks in a brooder, and they need more socializeing....and one of the silly turkey hens is laying eggs...so I guess I will be fireing up the incubator. I have grieved over this loss...but I must pick myself up by the belt loops...and get going with the others. Winter is no way near over, and they all need lots of attention...makeing sure there is fresh water, and warmth. I still sometimes look out there and wish I could see Pearl, standing at the gate, waiting for me to come rub her back...but this will pass. I must focus on the rest of the crew here.
I will soon have Autumns babies to coo over, and care for. :)
Thanks to everyone for the great support...it really means so much to me. :hugs to all of you!!

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wanted to add my sorrow to the group hug. Picking yourself up by the boot straps or belt loops is a good idea, but difficult. The pics made me get teary eyed, but do keep us posted on Autumn.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yep - onward and upward..thats all you can do. the hard thing is that not everyone makes it .. but each loss is very real. and we all know it

:)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Extra love goes out to you tonight, J! For being a strong woman, a good shepherd and a positive influence on the rest of us. :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well..I checked on Autumn this morning, at 5:30 am...and this was hanging out...and is STILL hanging out!!! Does this look like a prolaps? I have seen her push once...and nothing! UGH! NOT AGAIN!!!!
99_545am.jpg

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The vet came out and did a vag exam. She is not, or was not dialated at all. The vet could not feel a lamb at all. It is definately a prolaps. She said Autumn has a 10% chance. Her temp was not registering, she was so cold. She reccomended putting her down.

I couldnt. So, she got a shot of pennicillan...and Vit B...and orally calcium, dextrose, and..soething else. We carried her to the heat lamp. At this time, she was shivvering so hard, I just knew she was dieing. I had the blanket under and over her....and was under the blanket with her with the heat lamp, trying to raise her body temp. Her eyes were closed, head down....breathing hard.

I just caame in to tell you after 2 hrs under heat......she stopped shivering....raised her head...and stood up!!!!!
Her prolaps went back in!!!!!!
She was pawing the ground when I came in to try to warm my feet. I am headed back out there in a few seconds.
Say a prayer....please....that she pulls through this!
Oh, and dureing all this, my son calls me....they rushed my DIL to the hospital. She is pregnant, and due in MARCH. Her water broke!! I am waiting news on her still. PLEASE SAY A PRAYER!!!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I can't offer any help at all on the sheep, but I do know a bit about early human births. My daughter was just five weeks early, but both of my granddaughters were more than two months early. They were small, just at 4 pounds, and the 10 year old had some feeding problems and and lung problems, and was in NICU for two weeks, the younger one just for 48 hours. Any problem they had was extremely well dealt with by the pediatricians. And they didn't alarm us or cause us any worry, because the problems were routine for that eary a birth. Neither of them had any long-term problems after discharge from the hospital. They are now strong, healthy, happy and amazing children !

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Ldychef.
They are giving my DIL steroid shots to help with the growth of the baby's lungs. The DIL is NOT dialated...so thats a plus, but they said she will probably deliver tomorrow. :/ This baby HAS to make it.....she is our FIRST grand daughter...we have 5 grand sons! I am headed back to the barn...I think I can feel my toes now. :rolleyes: