Kala's Journal~Newest Project :)

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I totally agree with you! I don't go on craig's list (I think that is what CL is right?), but a local store sells chicks and ducklings every spring. So many people will buy, thinking, "Oh, cute baby ducks!" and then get tired of them when they grow up. They set them free at the river in town to fend for themselves.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ack, yes! I saw an ad the other day from someone looking for a single yellow duckling, just like Ming-Ming from the Wonderpets show. :barnie

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I say put it up. The most that will happen is you get flagged.

I once put up a commentary ad to an auction that was known for selling unhealthy animals. I'm not against auction animals at all, mind you, but this one was advertising for Easter telling people they can get the cutest animals at a fraction of the price, but not mentioning the after care they were going to go through. A friend of mine had some people come and look at her goat kids, decided they were too much money, went to this auction and bought two kids. One died that night and the other wasn't good at all - they called her in the middle of the night looking for help.... :/

My ad got flagged, btw...

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yea CL=craiglist unless you're talking about goats then it means something completely different I think, lol

I was at TSC the other day and heard a guy asking why he couldn't buy just one or two chicks. The sales guy explained it to him and then said well ya know you could just bring in several families that just want one or two to get around it.

*double take (on my part)* Say what???

I'm tempted to put it up. I think I might this afternoon when we're done with chores. Watch out Columbus CL here I come!!!!!

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Kala said:
Yea CL=craiglist unless you're talking about goats then it means something completely different I think, lol

I was at TSC the other day and heard a guy asking why he couldn't buy just one or two chicks. The sales guy explained it to him and then said well ya know you could just bring in several families that just want one or two to get around it.

*double take (on my part)* Say what???

I'm tempted to put it up. I think I might this afternoon when we're done with chores. Watch out Columbus CL here I come!!!!!
wait a minute? there's a minimum chick requirement at the feed store? I don't think they have those here? at least not that I've seen? and i think i'm overusing the ? ? :D but seriously, they have minimum requirements? I'm not against this, I'm just asking :)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a minimum of 6 chicks per order. I don't know if it's state law, but it's what I've seen everywhere that has chicks.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Javamama said:
We have a minimum of 6 chicks per order. I don't know if it's state law, but it's what I've seen everywhere that has chicks.
is that if your ordering through them or if you just walk in and buy?

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
At our TSC it's a min of 6 birds that are actually in the store. If you order through the store it's a min of 25.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, ditto what Glen said - I phrased my last reply badly. At TSC it's a minimum of 6 if you walk in and buy, but if you want something special it's a minimum of 25. Now, depending on the other feed store's policies, it can be as little as six or a minimum of 25. But I think Meyer Hatchery will sell mail orders as small as 3 chicks but I don't know about their walk-in policy. Confusing enough? :D