Kala's Journal~Newest Project :)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
There is also a reduced SIDS rate for babies who sleep with their parents. Being close to mom helps the baby regulate his/her breathing pattern and also regulate his/her sleep pattern (keeps baby from falling into a very deep sleep). At least that is what I read. It just seemed so non-intuitive to put my baby to sleep somewhere else. I got some flack from my parents for it, but . . . whatever! :rolleyes:

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the comments guys! :) Although I still haven't managed to finish the book yet. Its one of many on my winter reading list. I'm quickly discovering I don't have enough time for anything but outside chores this time of year.

Overall it wasen't a bad year for our garden. Especially since it was the first year out here at our new house. This is only our third year gardening total and this is the biggest garden we've ever had by far. Needless to say it took more work than we were able to give it sometimes so next year we should be better prepared. I feel like I have a better feel on when to start seeds indoors and know to start more immediately if nothing is sprouting within its germination time.

We've also dried tons of mint, lemon balm and lots of others. So the herb cupboard is looking pretty good right now.

I need to go out and check to see if the beans and corn has dried. We managed to can A BUNCH of pickels and froze dozens and dozens of ears of corn. We also canned some soup for the first time this year. We ended up buying tomatoes to can because most of ours died, didn't even sprout or still haven't turned red yet. The sunflower seeds are also drying right now. I haven't noticed too many birds out there so :fl

Although I think I maybe planted the melons, pumpkins and watermelons too closely together this year?? All of the fruits just look like weird hybrids. I haven't gone out yet to crack one open because I wanted to see what they did. Has anyone else had this problem before?

We'll be putting in more raised beds/lasagna beds next year. All of the plants that weren't in beds this year looked like mini versions. :rolleyes: And I want to mulch more in between beds to keep weeds down. It makes it so much easier.

That's the report around here anyway!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Kala said:
Although I think I maybe planted the melons, pumpkins and watermelons too closely together this year?? All of the fruits just look like weird hybrids. I haven't gone out yet to crack one open because I wanted to see what they did. Has anyone else had this problem before?
I had a pumpkin cross-pollinate my cukes. They ended up round, baseball sized, orange with a very bland cucumber taste. The whole stinking row of them!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
AL said:
Kala said:
I had a pumpkin cross-pollinate my cukes. They ended up round, baseball sized, orange with a very bland cucumber taste. The whole stinking row of them!
Holey Moley, that is too weird!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2241_cuke.jpg

I thought I posted a pic of after I cut it open, but I can't find it

Edited because I found it :D
2241_cukeinside.jpg

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That is really weird. I did not know that could happen.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is really interesting Al! Glad to know I'm not the only one.

I'll have to try and post pics of mine when I finally cut them open.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
:frow Hey Kala! How's the world treating ya' down in your neck of the woods?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey! Things are going pretty good! Splitting lots of wood...and trying to get a long list of chores done before winter hits, half of which probably won't get done. But what's new? :lol:

Although we did find out that we'll be working on our most recent growing project this winter..it should be ripe about May 7th... :love <------ ETA: Ok so that's soppused to mean we are expecting our first child this May. It sounded good written that way last night but now it just sounds a little weird, :lol: That'll show me to post late at night!

So I guess I have a good reason for not getting some things done right now, well beyond napping.

That's our news in this neck of the woods anyway. :D

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
AL said:
Kala said:
Oh and I almost forget. We opened up all those melons and pumpkins and they all looked and smelled just fine. They just looked a little weird to me on the outside. The goats and chickens sure didn't complain! :lol: