Kaycei's Journal - Don't eat dehydrated garlic!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the beginnings for a really good garden. With 1/4 of an acre, you should keep yourself busy all summer. Good luck with all your seeds.

kaycei

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I did a quick count of our seeds, and realized between DH and I, we're sitting at about 750 seedlings. Umm.. yeah, overload. I'm not sure where we're going to put them all once they out grow the Jiffy Peat trays. My husband has started transplanting some of his seedlings, and now our grow-table in the basement is over half full, and I still haven't transplanted anything I have.
On another note, we started painting the kitchen today. It was a southwest theme, and we are not SW-theme people. The second coat of paint just went up on the ceiling, and we'll do the walls tomorrow. It will be a nice, almost royal, blue. The ceiling is pretty close to a periwinkle. We have mission-style cupboards, so I think the blue will set them off nicely.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
What? You don't like basic white and off-white? Too many years in military housing? Now you want it dark? :hide

kaycei

Power Conserver
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Too many years in military housing?
That pretty much hits it on the head. Painting my rooms non-white was the second reason I wanted to buy a house. The yard was the first reason.

kaycei

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I got home from work yesterday to discover a leaky ceiling in our unfinished "mudroom" addition. This is a 15x20 foot add on to the house, that sat unsided for two years--from when it went up, to 2 days after we closed on the house. I think the addition was built on a deck foundation, instead of a real foundation, but won't be able to tell for sure until the snow all goes away and it gets warmer. (We closed late October, and had one good weekend between moving in and the cold weather coming.)
So, the question is, why was there so much water. We just had a warm spell and a lot of snow (that was on the roof) melted. I've also noticed frozen condensation under the insulation plastic in the wall. So, there is the condensation theory, the damming theory, and the leaky roof theory.
The water wasn't isolated. It came from all the ceiling drywall seams.
And now I need to add serious do-it-yourself home repairs to the traits I'll need to be self-sufficient.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
The joys of home ownership. Good thing you have an in-law that lives fairly close and can help with stuff like that.

Makes me glad I live a long ways away. :lol:

clstratton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
The joys of home ownership. Good thing you have an in-law that lives fairly close and can help with stuff like that.

Makes me glad I live a long ways away. :lol:
Aren't you glad we bought a new house? And all you have to help with is finishing a basement?

I didn't intentionally give my children Beatles names. It just happened that way. Kaycei is doing it intentionally! Poor Kari, she'll be the outcast. :D

Have you noticed that my house is still mostly off-white. Except for my room and Bryant's (used to be Abigail's), oh, and my bathroom. Maybe someday...or not, because we found a lot we really really really really want. Four acres. But their CCRs don't allow chickens (yet). But we could have four cows. LOL. Go figure.

kaycei

Power Conserver
Reaction score
clstratton said:
Aren't you glad we bought a new house? And all you have to help with is finishing a basement?
All Papa Bear's had to do is... come visit and run around the countryside looking for cheese. (By the way, I was at the Mall of America today and stopped by the Wisconsin cheese store. GREAT selection. I'm so sad I have to go to Minnesota to get my good WI cheese, and I live in WI.) Mom, on the other hand, got to help me paint and move in. It's my in-laws that get the "Help!" phone calls.

clstratton said:
I didn't intentionally give my children Beatles names. It just happened that way. Kaycei is doing it intentionally! Poor Kari, she'll be the outcast.
Actually, it's my husband that picked the name. I've just embraced it.

clstratton said:
Have you noticed that my house is still mostly off-white. Except for my room and Bryant's (used to be Abigail's), oh, and my bathroom.
That's because your husband picked out a new house before you were dating. You didn't have any rooms that needed a paint job, so you probably left well enough alone. Sounds like the rooms that have needed a paint job are colored. :p

clstratton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Get Jersey Giants and say they are cows. :lol:
:lol:

I love it. Yeah, they might figure that one out though. Maybe if I got some mutants I could claim that they aren't chickens, being that they are mutants and all.

Kaycei wrote: "That's because your husband picked out a new house before you were dating. You didn't have any rooms that needed a paint job, so you probably left well enough alone. Sounds like the rooms that have needed a paint job are colored. :p"

Yes, but the downstairs rooms will probably end up "Swiss Coffee" for a long while. What I really want to do is murals in both kids' rooms. I think that would be awesome.