Kaycei's Journal - Don't eat dehydrated garlic!

kaycei

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our food dehydrator arrived today. Its a Excalibur 3900R. It reminds me of my parents dehydrator -- big and square with the square trays that come apart. I'll be planning on having a bunch of dried peppers, tomatoes, and herbs at the end of the summer.

kaycei

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So hubby spent the weekend playing with the food dehydrator. Since it isn't exactly growing season yet here in Wisconsin, we started it with a trip to the grocery store. I found humorous irony in dehydrating canned pineapples, but when the fresh ones are $6 each and probably not flavorful, and you really want dried pineapples... well, you use canned pineapples I guess.

He also dried apples and bananas, and then moved into the range of vegetables: habaneros, garlic, and jalapenos. And of course, he made beef jerky. The jerky turned out pretty thick. Hubby says its because it didn't dry enough, but I'm pretty sure you are supposed to cut it more than 1/4 inch thick. The seasoning was great though.

Monday morning I decided to take a bunch of dried fruit to work with me. Vegetables were done Saturday, and Sunday was spent on fruit. I opened the dehydrator and saw little pieces of mango on the top tray, scooped them into a container. Picked out dried apple, dried pineapple, and banana chips and headed to work.

I started munching on the dried fruity goodness, and went to try out a little pieces of dried mango. It wasn't mango. It was dried garlic. YUCK! Do not try dehydrated garlic. Strong and concentrated.

When I got home, my husband showed me more fruits of his labors -- a container a home-made dried seasonings, habanero oil, and garlic oil.

I can't wait to start growing things and dehydrating food from the garden, instead of the grocery store.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
:lol:

You also shouldn't dry things like garlic and onion with fruit. Your fruit can pick up the taste.

We don't like to dry onion and the like in the house. It smells up the house too much.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
:lol: That is funny about the garlice! Way to go on the dehydrating!!

kaycei

Power Conserver
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
You also shouldn't dry things like garlic and onion with fruit. Your fruit can pick up the taste.
Yeah, that's what I said too. Which is why I thought those stupid funny looking orange pieces were mangoes. We bought mangoes at the grocery store too Saturday. But you know how he is....

clstratton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:gig :lol: :yuckyuck
So dehydrated garlic looks like mango. Interesting. I can't imagine it being a good idea to dehydrate garlic or onion with fruit, but that's just me.

I'll bet your breath was wicked after that.

Latest posts