KEFIR grains-Mind if we give them their own thread?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yesterday I set up my dear friend who suffers terribly from RA, with a jar of kefir. I also printed out a bunch of info on kefir for her. I came across this little tidbit which I thought was a good explanation of the differences between yogurt and kefir.

Both kefir and yogurt are cultured milk products...
...but they contain different types of beneficial bacteria. Yogurt contains transient beneficial bacteria that keep the digestive system clean and provide food for the friendly bacteria that reside there. But kefir can actually colonize the intestinal tract, a feat that yogurt cannot match.
Kefir contains several major strains of friendly bacteria not commonly found in yogurt, Lactobacillus Caucasus, Leuconostoc, Acetobacter species, and Streptococcus species.

It also contains beneficial yeasts, such as Saccharomyces kefir and Torula kefir, which dominate, control and eliminate destructive pathogenic yeasts in the body. They do so by penetrating the mucosal lining where unhealthy yeast and bacteria reside, forming a virtual SWAT team that housecleans and strengthens the intestines. Hence, the body becomes more efficient in resisting such pathogens as E. coli and intestinal parasites.

Kefir's active yeast and bacteria provide more nutritive value than yogurt by helping digest the foods that you eat and by keeping the colon environment clean and healthy.

Because the curd size of kefir is smaller than yogurt, it is also easier to digest, which makes it a particularly excellent, nutritious food for babies, the elderly and people experiencing chronic fatigue and digestive disorders.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:weee I got my Grains :weee :clap :bun

:bow Thank you Free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok so.....A quart of milk, grains, counter cover, rest for a day, taste, drink.

Ia that it?

gina

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Excellent info, Dace. :thumbsup

Edited to add: Yes, TH, that is it! (unless I am missing something)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I have not read all the post above, but from what I gather you should use the best milk possible. But if at this point we only have store bought regular it will still work???

:clap

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey Gina! Yay!!!

Are they dehydrated or fresh? If they are dehydrated it is going to take a week or so before it kefir-izes. ( my new word ;) ) So don't waste good milk, I mean still get unpasteurized but I probably wouldn't use organic.

And sadly I think my girl friend killed or threw her out.....she hasn't mentioned it in a while :/ I need to slap, I mean ASK her.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok how do I know if they are dehydrated or fresh? Free sent them to me. Oh, I am not getting the whole milk thing. I buy reg 2 percent from the grocery for the kids. That's ok right? At least until I stop at the store for organic?? I don't think I can justify raw, though skim raw is not to bad for 2 quarts.

My kids are very excited. They love the flavored kefir I buy at the store. I hope I can produce something kinda the same.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
If Free send them then I think they are dehydrated...they came in an envelope right, not packed in a jar of water?

Use the 2% for now, until it kefirizes.

I am with you on the raw...I keep wanting to by it but geeze it is expensive!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks dace, Yes I think they are dehydrated. I opened the little jar she sent. ?The little gems felt crunchy. This will add to the time I need to soak the first batch correct???

I was explaining how to make kefir to dh at dinner.. He looked at me and said "you leaving milk out on the counter, you better no feed any to me". :lol: If he only knew the things I've fed him. Don't even ask what I put in his vitamin box!!

:thumbsup

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:frow Everyone who I promised kefir to, it is on the way. I had to fill out a customs form for the one that is going to Canada, so all bets are off as to what year it arrives!

It is dehydrated, and yes, give the early batches to the dogs or chickens. You will know it when it is right. I gave it a couple more days, as I am quite timid with new foods, having a very cranky digestive system.....a system that LOOOVES kefir even though my tastebuds say :sick even now. I hide it in shakes and love it drained and made into salad dressings and dips. I use the whey in my ferments.

I am allowing myself to start kefir again when I am done with the midnight bottle for Plum, which will be next week. Can't wait to sleep again! I really want it now, but something has to give....I am just getting back into the swing of milking, straining, marking, storing, cleaning up, etc that goes with the home dairy. Whew. LOVE IT! My mouth waters and my stomach growls when I milk!