KEFIR grains-Mind if we give them their own thread?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:ep That's a lot of kefir!! I would keep the good ones and give the weird one to your chickens. But that is just me.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Sally packaged one larger grain and these tiny little ones in they were forming in. At least I think that's what they were. I don't want to loose them! Maybe they were bits of dried milk that flaked off..

Do you remember Sally?

Justus.. it almost looks as if there wasn't enough room in the jar or something? :idunno

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
No that was powdered milk. For some reason the directions said to pack the semi dehydrated kefir grain with a bit of powdered milk. Sorry, I thought I mentioned that. You got one kefir grain, it was the biggest blob in the ziplock. Don't worry about the other stuff...if you still have it, just get rid of it.

Your grain should be easy to "hand strain", it was about 1 inch wide when it was hydrated.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Its definately a wierd one....I think I will offer it to the chickens...see if they will eat it. Or maybe the sheep?? Either way...that flat blob of wierdness is OUTTA HERE! LOL

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks Sally, I wasn't sure. Yes you did mention that, but I'm not familiar with what powdered milk looks like - aside from goat replacer which looks nothing like that. :hide

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got a question--

So my kefir is starting to "gel"( for a better word,)
when I take the grains out of the jar, to put into another jar, do I need to refrig the gelled stuff, or leave it out until I use it? And how long is it go for?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Put it in the fridge. It can stay out to get more separated and sour if you want to do something specific with it, like drain it for a sour cream substitute, but it will go bad in a few days. I experiemented once. Nasty on day four here. Keeps a loooooong time in the fridge, though.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Free, I knew you would have the answer for me.

So I will be trying kefir smoothie in the morning wheeeeeeeeeeee