KEFIR grains-Mind if we give them their own thread?

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Is there a way to make kefir that is non alcoholic? I read somewhere that if it ferments in the presence of oxygen, the sugar is converted to carbon dioxide and something else, but if it is without oxygen, then it converts it to alcohol.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? Anyone know where I could look to find this info?

Thanks,
Carrie

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Any ferment that contains sugar will have some alcohol....kombucha does, too. It is extremely minimal. I bet you can find something on Dom's site. The link is somewhere on this extremely long thread.... :p

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Thanks dace, Yes I think they are dehydrated. I opened the little jar she sent. ?The little gems felt crunchy. This will add to the time I need to soak the first batch correct???

I was explaining how to make kefir to dh at dinner.. He looked at me and said "you leaving milk out on the counter, you better no feed any to me". :lol: If he only knew the things I've fed him. Don't even ask what I put in his vitamin box!!

:thumbsup
My Dh was a little weirded out at first but it didn't take long for him to come around!

By the way, this is the first cold and flu season that I have not been sick once! Not one little cold!! Everyone else in the family has been sick a couple of times....I even had the flu run thru here!

The real test for me, will be in the fall when I am hands on with 12 little 3rd grade cheerleaders....they always give me cooties and I always crash hard for a couple of days.....this will be the true test of the power of kefir!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace,
One other thing you may want to consider with those girls is how tired an worn down you get. Not only are you exposed to their germs but we all know how hard you work while the season is on. Take time to slow down a bit and get lots of rest.

That should help!!

gina

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Dace,
One other thing you may want to consider with those girls is how tired an worn down you get. Not only are you exposed to their germs but we all know how hard you work while the season is on. Take time to slow down a bit and get lots of rest.

That should help!!

gina
Hahahaha....yeah they wear me down in more ways than one!

Fall is tough I am on the go and you are right, very little down time. I am anxious to see how I make it thru....my prediction is that I may catch a little something but it won't be nearly as bad as in the past. I nearly always get sick enough to have to miss a couple practices!

I am telling you, kefir is king!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I just read this whole lengthy thread.
I received my grains from Free and put them in a jar with milk. Ready, set, go! I am so looking forward to drinking homemade kefir and using the whey.
Thanks Free. I am off to pick the bay that I promised you ;)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so Metal or no metal?? I have been watching all kinds of YouTube videos. Very cool stuff. I was planning on straining through one of my sprouting lids. It's a fine mesh wire. If that's not a good idea I will need to find something else.

Let me know.

Thanks gina

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
No metal.
I just use a plastic fork to fish out the grain, super easy. A little trickier until your grain rehydrates but not hard.

By the way, I am in the bathroom at Target waiting on my little Faith... I such an SS junkie!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your awful. So how long does it take the grains to rehydrate? Should I change the milk a couple times before we drink it? And if so how frequently?

I found some great videos on YouTube of a homesteading family. They follow Nourishing Traditions and use tons of kefir in lots of different things. Very coo!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Can you post the link?

It will take about a week, I think, till it kefirs. It will get thicker and your grain will plump up like boiled
cauliflower. Just give it to the chickens or dog till it changes.

Ps now I am at Lake Miramar watching Hubby stretch after his 20 mile run. How crazy is that???

Edited to add.... Change the milk daily