KEFIR grains-Mind if we give them their own thread?

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I poked mine down today...its been 24hrs. I'm going to wait for "the smell" before I try it. I poked/gently stirred with the handle of a wooden spoon, and it seemed to cling to the wood. Oh I hope I'm doing this right!! :/

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so I need some help here. How fast do the grains grow? Is it possible to kill them? How much grains do you need to produce a good kefir?

I have been straining and using my kefir for 3 days I think. It thickens nicely and after 24 hrs has a nice flavor. I have a quart and a half in the fridge. I have made kefir cheese and I saved the whey. I even drank some with a bit of vanilla and Sun Crystals today. The kids loved it.

But :he

When I strain I only find tiniest little gold spec of grains. Actually less than what I started with. I scooped the speck with about a tablespoon of kefir into the new jar and started again.

So what did I do wrong??? Is my kefir happy still? Should I just keep going? :barnie

gina

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmm, did you start with a powdered grain or something? Mine is like cauliflour, but squishy...and grows FAST!! About break mine in half....and I split it between the 3 dogs.( A piece about the size of a banty egg) THey love it! I wish I was closer, I would try to send some to ya. Just not sure how it would make the trip in this heat.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got mine from Free, and I feel sooooooo bad. :he They were dehydrated. I wonder if I lost them while straining. :hit

I will keep trying. I now have a really fine plastic mesh strainer. Perhaps that little gem will do the trick. It keeps setting up and kefir- ing. :idunno

Dace is close, I could probably get some live grains from her.

thanks, gina

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
GINA! What in the world??? I got mine from Free too, and they are growing just fine. I strain mine through cheesecloth, and the ones I started with are probably twice as big. I found a new one today. I waited almost 36 hours for the first batch, and now get some every day. I swirl it around in the cheesecloth with my finger and can feel the small grain, but only found like 2. However, the big one has gotten bigger.

I hope yours gets bigger soon!!! ;)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The first few days I changed the milk daily. I think the 3rd day I left it for more than a day. I was out of milk. The problem started when I thought I was ready to go. I switched to some really nice organic milk and then I don't know what happened. Like I said it seems like it's working and it taste good. :idunno But the grain-s seem-s tiny.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

:th

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The dehydrated grains take a while to plump up and start growing....like weeks sometimes. You probably lost one, but if the tiny ones are kefir-ing the milk, keep going. They will grow! Just strain them very carefully.

I lost my grains more than once. That is why I now have some dried ones in the freezer! And I am building a network of people who will give me grains if I need them one day due to my own dingbatness. :rolleyes:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey G!

Are you using ulta pasteurized milk by any chance? If not you may have accidentally consumed one of your grains. Keep at it, your little grain will grow.

I found that when I made the switch to raw milk, 2 weeks ago my grain has taken off! It had doubled in size! It is more expensive, but we have trimmed back on the frequency of our smoothies, so I figure I can afford it....oh the stories we tell ourselves to get what we want :lol:

I do have plenty....maybe we can meet up and I'll give it to you. Just let me know. :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank's to both of you. I think I will just keep going. Like I said it seems to be doing it's thing.

Doing some reading on making kefir leban blue cheese. Going to try and find myself a bamboo steamer. :drool

Keep you fingers crossed for me. :fl

gina

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My kefir took off with the raw milk, too. I noticed absolutely no growth in the pasturized milk I was using. It was making kefir, just like the pictures I've seen, but the grain never got any bigger.

Once I started with the raw, it grew enough that I've been able to share with the friend who gave me a scoby.

I thought I had killed it once in the beginning, when I left it for something like 72 hours, but it was fine.