Kentucky

chiknmama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
annmarie said:
Meriah,
Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to share all that information with me! You've basically told me everything I wanted to hear. It sounds like we better start planning a Kentucky road trip! Speaking of road trip, I'm on my way out of town right now, for the weekend (a rare event!).
Have a great weekend and thanks again! I can tell my husband everything you said in the car. :lol:
Ann-Marie
We looked on the eastern side of the state before looking in Central kentucky.

I loved the mountains, but didn't want to deal with icy mountain roads (and two teens who want to drive, LOL).
Plus, the economy is much worse over there.

One big reason, also, was we wanted land that we could actually use, LOL. Where we are it is ridges, some higher than others, but you get a lot of rolling land - sometimes even a flat piece of gound, LOL. It is a short drive to the mountains, too. The land in the eastern part was mostly veritcal and heavily treed - we needed some pasture land and hay field, too.

oh, also pluses - the 127 Yard sale - Longest Yard Sale in the world, and the 400 mile Yard sale, goes across rather than down through. one is in spring, the other is in the fall.

Have a great trip - and beware - I heard gas prices have just jumped tremendously because of the hurricanes.

Peace -
Meriah

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A few years ago we stayed in Central City KY while my husband was working at the Paradise. It is in Western Ky between Owensboro and Bowling Green. It was very beautiful there. The people were so nice and friendly. We were there for only a few months and there are people we still correspond with. I home school and everyone always asked why my kids weren't in school if we were running errands. It seems there was one other family in the area that homeschooled but we never met them. We have often thought about moving back there but there really are no good jobs.(My husbands was a temporary one for a power plant shut down) I really loved the small town atmosphere. Maybe one day....

chiknmama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
A few years ago we stayed in Central City KY while my husband was working at the Paradise. It is in Western Ky between Owensboro and Bowling Green. It was very beautiful there. The people were so nice and friendly. We were there for only a few months and there are people we still correspond with. I home school and everyone always asked why my kids weren't in school if we were running errands. It seems there was one other family in the area that homeschooled but we never met them. We have often thought about moving back there but there really are no good jobs.(My husbands was a temporary one for a power plant shut down) I really loved the small town atmosphere. Maybe one day....
I don't think I've been anywhere that hasn't had friendly people down here. Jobs are scarce here, not as bad as in Michigan, but bad enough. Amazon.com just hired a bunch of folks this week, though, full time, 10.50 - 12.00 an hour. Great wages for down here.

Over by us, no one would ask ya why your kids weren't in school, LOL. There are a lot of homeschoolers around us, plus there is the Amish, who have their own schools.

Hope your "one day" happens for you - I love it here. (could you tell?) LOL.

ETA - hubby's family came from Bowling Green and Penrod. We go to the auction over by Smiths Grove, sometimes, so I know the area you are talking about, too <g>.

Peace -
Meriah

Griffox

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in Harrodsburg, KY. May I ask where in Central KY you are, chicknmama? Seems like we're right around the same area.

I'm from KY, but I grew up in Lexington. I love it out here in the country. Everything Chicknmama said is true. People are super nice (once you get outside Lexington - where there's a lot of ritzy snobs).

Land near Lexington is insanely overpriced, but once you get away from there it's extremely reasonable. I bought a small two bedroom home w/ barn, 3 paddocks (4 board fence and all) and 7 acres in Harrodsburg for less than I would have paid for a similar house (with a tiny yard and no privacy) in Lexington . Granted, the nearest grocery store is 15 minutes away, but I don't think that's bad. It keeps me from making midnight ice cream runs. :lol: That is, until I get a cow and start making my own...yum.

My neighbors have been great. Out here, you find the kind of people who would give you the shirt off their back, even if they don't know you. Very generous and kind.

chiknmama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Griffox said:
I'm in Harrodsburg, KY. May I ask where in Central KY you are, chicknmama? Seems like we're right around the same area.

I'm from KY, but I grew up in Lexington. I love it out here in the country. Everything Chicknmama said is true. People are super nice (once you get outside Lexington - where there's a lot of ritzy snobs).

Land near Lexington is insanely overpriced, but once you get away from there it's extremely reasonable. I bought a small two bedroom home w/ barn, 3 paddocks (4 board fence and all) and 7 acres in Harrodsburg for less than I would have paid for a similar house (with a tiny yard and no privacy) in Lexington . Granted, the nearest grocery store is 15 minutes away, but I don't think that's bad. It keeps me from making midnight ice cream runs. :lol: That is, until I get a cow and start making my own...yum.

My neighbors have been great. Out here, you find the kind of people who would give you the shirt off their back, even if they don't know you. Very generous and kind.
Heya -

I'm in Columbia - well, technicaly I'm in Breeding, but the post office calls me Columbia ;)

We'e been so busy lately, I haven't posted much to this forum. I'll have to do some catching up today - err... this week :lol: Not sure I'll have time today.

Peace -
Meri

Peapickinchicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I was born in KY and remain in KY. I love living here, lots of good folks, beautiful land, good gardens, lovely trees, abundant wildlife, and lots of farms. Yes... it gets hot and muggy in mid-summer but.. we also have glistening snows, vibrant springs and oh the colors in Fall. We have strong roots in KY and I can't imagine living anywhere else.
Oh and BTW.....
Yes, I have all my teeth :D
I only wear overalls when I'm workin' outside. :cool:
Yes..I have a high school education & a masters degree. ;)
Yes..I'm a Baptist ( regular old country Baptist).
:old, No..I don't push my religion on folks.
Yes..I will invite you to church if I don't know you have a religious preference. :frow
Yes..I love to talk to good folk. :ya
No..I'm not rich or snotty (I have heard some folks are like that in Lexington :idunno, so I have no desire to even go there)
No..there are not many jobs in the eastern area, but the mountains are a place to visit for sure.
Lots of good o country Heritage in KY and most people here like for it to remain that way, so y'all come on down we will love ya up and talk your ear off.

jacca5

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am from Kentucky as well. I love it here and wouldn't think of leaving. I live about 6 miles outside of a small town called Hodgenville on about a 30 acre farm.