Kentucky

Omran

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Here We Go again, I started here too, so I would like to say Hello for all of you guys and I really would like to say thank you Nifty, for this fourm too, I know that I am going to give it my best shot and tell you guys some tricks on surviving :lol:

Omran from Bagdad KY

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Welcome to SS Omran! There's lots of great folks and info here and we look forward to what you have to share as well!

jcoogle

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Well hello all. I am new to the forum. I am from South Central Ky and one of these years my plans will be complete and I will be off of the grid....lol

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
jcoogle said:
Well hello all. I am new to the forum. I am from South Central Ky and one of these years my plans will be complete and I will be off of the grid....lol
Hello and welcome to the forum! I would love to hear about your plans!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome jcoogle! How far along are you?

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey Ther All:frow!! I have been on BYC and EG for several years now and on SS since there was on a couple hundred members! I have not been on here for about a year, just getting back recently.

Our daughter and son-in-law are at Fort Campbell (although he is deployed right now), we are in CA :hit We are in the mountains between Bakersfield and L.A. My husband has been in construction for over 20yrs. He has basically been out of work since last Aug. He had his second back surgery the end of July. A few days before he got released for light duty work, his boss of 17yrs, called to say they were closing the company!!:th We were expecting it at some time with the way construction has been the last few years. Several companies he knows (of differing parts of construction) are shutting down. For the last 7 or so yrs. he's been in the office estimating.

We have gone through all our savings a while ago and cannot hang onto our ranch any longer. Our kids have offered to move off base , buy a BIG home for us all to live in.

What I was wondering was the job situation in the Christian County and in the counties in TN (Clarksville, Dickson, Montgomery Counties)that are around Fort Campbell. We are looking at homes in both places. My husband can do about aby type of construction/building type jobs, welding, landscaping, among other things. He has no problem driving over an hour one way. I will mainly be taking care of kids, home, garden, animals, etc.

Our kids say that there is a lot of building going on around the base and area. Just want another opinion.

A couple of other questions- Are the junior highs good around there? We raise our granddaughter and she just stared 7th. Is there a limit on dogs? Do chickens travel well?

Chiknmama- Thank you for the gardening lowdown!! I had to wait two yrs after we moved to the mountains from the beach to figure out all the changes in my gardening I need to do. I will miss our snow very much though.

Thanks for any input.

Monica