"Kitchen herbalism" for colds and flu

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you can get a cow, get something with a high butterfat content....howzabout a nice little old-fashioned Jersey? They are pretty small. Then make butter from all the spring and fall cream, when the grass is growing fast, and freeze that for your own use. Or use intensive grazing methods so the girl is always on rapidly growing grass....Oh, I am SOOOOO jealous (in advance of you getting your cow....) :p

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can use the calves from the Devon though for freezer camp though, hehe. Of course, they are out of my price range, and I'm a bit lazy, so it's all just wishful thinking. Unless one just decided to wander into my front yard. And I am not hijacking this thread, honest! ;)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Jamsoundsgood said:
I can use the calves from the Devon though for freezer camp though, hehe. Of course, they are out of my price range, and I'm a bit lazy, so it's all just wishful thinking. Unless one just decided to wander into my front yard. And I am not hijacking this thread, honest! ;)
Well hold on cuz crazy things have been known to happen around here!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
can you boil the ginger and get results? I have a sinus thingie going on and I think I remember granny boiling ginger adding honey...

If I don't have a grinder (veggie) how can I process the ginger raw? TIA

cough.gif

I might have to call in for a sick day tomorrow...... :(

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
can you boil the ginger and get results? I have a sinus thingie going on and I think I remember granny boiling ginger adding honey...

If I don't have a grinder (veggie) how can I process the ginger raw? TIA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/themetalpeddler/gifs/cough.gif

I might have to call in for a sick day tomorrow...... :(
Hmmmm? Perhaps a sharp knife?

Yes, you can simmer the ginger; keep a lid on the pan to keep all the good stuff where you want it.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I am very new at exploring herbal stuff, but if it were me, I'd try using a very fine grater, like a spice grater. But you'd have to be pretty determined to get juice from ginger root and have it raw.

Raw vs. boiled....there are different ways of extracting constituants from herbs/foods and each way extracts different things and will have different healing properties.

The original recipe in this thread calls for raw ginger, raw honey, raw lime juice, and dehydrated cayenne pepper. The recipe given to me by the Chinese acupuncturist called for simmering the minced ginger with the white parts and roots of scallions for thirty minutes to use as an expectorant...it works great.

So make use of what you have available. When you are better, go buy some real kitchen equipment! :lol:

I have had some great success with sinus stuff by breathing in steam from a bowl to which I've added white vinegar and a few drops of essential oils....lavendar and rosemary are my favorites for this, but you can use almost any of the "Italian herb" eo's or eucalyptus. Lavendar balances any eo and makes it much more pleasant-smelling, there is also a synergystic effect when you combine 2-4 eo's in a blend. Meaning one plus one equals more than two, impact-wise.

I keep a kettle nearby and add a bit more boiling water as it cools down. Take that first sniff carefully, as you can burn yourself, steam is HOT! Then breathe deeply until you can taste the vinegar, and continue until you can't taste it anymore. Then add some more boiling water for one more cycle. Then go blow your nose, or use the nettie pot if you use one. Repeat as needed.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
woohoo this stuff is spicy!!!! so it has to be good.... :/ :fl

I was gonna whack some with my meat mallet a few times if I had to.

I still take my extra D as well as a standard supplement along with 3-6-9 fish oils.

Thanks for the help you two, if this doesn't work I will just whack my head on the kitchen counter a few times til I feel either stupid or silly which ever comes first. :caf

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For anyone using, or wanting to use, more ginger in the kitchen it might be worthwhile to search out a ginger grater. An Asian market would be sure to have them. Here's a description, and a picture. And, I would add that garlic can also be pulped on this if you don't have a garlic press (but your fingers will really smell of garlic :lol:)

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/gadgets/kitchen-tool-ceramic-ginger-grater-020539

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
My head is worse and expect that its going to take another day or two for the stuff to work. I also am using mashed garlic with pickle vinegar which my uncle swears by. Its best not to be getting to close to me right now for several reasons.

If I don't see any signs of getting better by Monday, I am going to call Doc and see what he can do for me. I don't think I have been this ill in a coupe years. I was ill twice last year, pretty close together so think I never got over the cold the first time. I also continue to drink my green teas.

Thats what I should tell you, my special green tea I drink.

I take four different green teas, brew them all together 4 cups of water, add a couple tablespoons of honey, some lemon.

I pinch my nose and drink a cup four times a day when I am sick. Does it work? I dunno, but its gross enough that it should. :sick and I mean double :sick