Kitty Litter Containers

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to risk the endocrine disruptor by using this long term, but for emergency use- absolutely. Even if there was some leaching, I think it would be small potatoes compared to the dangers of contaminated or NO water.
You could also hedge your bets on this by periodically emptying and refilling the containers. Also, it would be a good idea to used a bit of bleach in the water to keep it safe in storage from any possible contamination. I believe the numbers are "21 for safety".... 2 drops of unscented household bleach per 1 liter of water.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to risk the endocrine disruptor by using this long term, but for emergency use- absolutely. Even if there was some leaching, I think it would be small potatoes compared to the dangers of contaminated or NO water.
You could also hedge your bets on this by periodically emptying and refilling the containers. Also, it would be a good idea to used a bit of bleach in the water to keep it safe in storage from any possible contamination. I believe the numbers are "21 for safety".... 2 drops of unscented household bleach per 1 liter of water.

Yes, I'm already thinking like you do in changing out the water each gardening season, using it on plants and trees. Some extra peace of mind.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And just a refresher on some of the many creative ways to reuse these containers:

creative-and-practical-ways-to-repurpose-kitty-litter-containers.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They are very useful! I like ice cream tubs for the same reason. There is so much you can do with them afterwards.

Talking of which, our local Chinese take-out sends most of their meals in lunchbox size plastic tubs with lids. I kept all the ones I go so far and reuse them to freeze fruit in for smoothies and general use around the kitchen. They are so handy! I can't believe how many I see tossed in the trash in the street bins (no, I haven't rescued any yet!)

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They are very useful! I like ice cream tubs for the same reason. There is so much you can do with them afterwards.

Talking of which, our local Chinese take-out sends most of their meals in lunchbox size plastic tubs with lids. I kept all the ones I go so far and reuse them to freeze fruit in for smoothies and general use around the kitchen. They are so handy! I can't believe how many I see tossed in the trash in the street bins (no, I haven't rescued any yet!)
Our Chinese uses either the same or similar! I save them for hubby's lunchbox! That way I'm not out much if they don't make it home.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have lots of the square yellow tidy cat containers with the red lids. Have used them for lots of things. I store rabbit, chicken, and dog/ cat food in them. If the lid breaks where the bend is in the lid, I leave the rest of the lid on and turn it on its side so the rest of the lid provides a lip. Then I use those for rabbit or chicken nest boxes. I have a couple in the house that I store fabric and yarn in. One I keep extra medical supply's in. One in the barn with medical stuff for the animals.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody here had a great idea on what to do with empty kitty litter containers. I mean the ones that have lids on them and the whole bit. Seems like such a waste to throw them away but I can't think of a good way to use them. Anybody here have an idea? :hu

Thank you!
As a container. that seems to be great. just remove the lid and its great for plants. good luck.. it such a waste if you throw them away.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As long as it was unscented litter, Store food in them. Artificial scents will make the food taste nasty. :sick You could store beans, grains, petfood, whatever.
Unscented litter? Those are cat litter were talking about right? I don't know if the brand matter. But it doesn't smell good for me. but we can always do some good cleaning to it, so I guess its just fine.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wouldn't store food in them unless it was sealed in a mylar bag. They really don't seal very tight.
They stack nicely so I like to use them for storage of craft supplies.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wouldn't store food in them unless it was sealed in a mylar bag. They really don't seal very tight.
They stack nicely so I like to use them for storage of craft supplies.
I know those don't smell nice, But it's not that bad to store like that, but I guess it'll be better that way I guess. :thumbsup:thumbsup .. Ill definitely do that too.