Kombucha!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Get the stuff in the fridge, not on the shelf if you get it. I think it's a bit expensive to buy. Pretty cheap to make, just takes a lot of time.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But you need to source a SCOBY(Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast) which can be easy or difficult depending on time and place. I can get a SCOBY very easily at the local farmer's market in the summer, but in winter I would need to score one from a friend or try to buy one online. Quick question-- can you freeze a SCOBY? I like Kombucha, but I don't drink it often enough to make brewing a gallon of it every week something I want to deal with.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to just have an extra jar setting off in a dark corner when I was doing a big container. I'd check to make sure there was still liquid every now and then and pare it down occasionally.

I always have 8 going now so if something goes wrong I have extras. I drink at between 8 and 16 days depending. I was drinking less last fall but still drinking at same timeframe of brewing. I had 4 half gallons going. Just had to watch time for each jar. I prefer is not as strong on the vinegar as it can get.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But you need to source a SCOBY(Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast) which can be easy or difficult depending on time and place. I can get a SCOBY very easily at the local farmer's market in the summer, but in winter I would need to score one from a friend or try to buy one online. Quick question-- can you freeze a SCOBY? I like Kombucha, but I don't drink it often enough to make brewing a gallon of it every week something I want to deal with.

If this SCOBY is anything like beer or wine yeast. It can be frozen in a powdery state but not in a liquid state. Freezing in a liquid state ruptures the yeast cell walls.