1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. WW2 Rationing Recipes - Canadian and British - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Lab/Great Dane Puppy!

Discussion in 'Dogs, Cats and Other Pets' started by baymule, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Jan 11, 2019
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Carson has a new trick. He catches birds and eats them. :( He stalks, freezes absolutely still, then leaps. DH feeds the birds and is upset that Carson is catching them. At least he doesn't go after the chickens. If left unsupervised with loose "squeaky toys" running around, he probably would. But I keep that controlled so that he knows they are off limits.

Right now he is at the burn pile, tugging on dead giant ragweed skeletons with the rootball attached. They make great tug toys.

Crazy dog!

Rammy and frustratedearthmother like this.
  2. Jan 11, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

My dog has caught several birds. I frown on such activity. Her behavior with chickens is variable. She pays no attention to them unless I am talking to them, verbally correcting them, or herding them. Then, she feels that she must get in on the action. Last time I processed chickens, I was bringing them in to process them in the laundry room. Of course she wanted to hold one. So, I took the bird and smacked her with it... several times, while telling her to leave it. She's paid no attention to them since then.

3. Jan 11, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Gracie is terrible. Anything little critter moves fast is fair game in her book. Bigger chickens she ignores - UNLESS they come into her yard. She won't look at them twice in the barnyard or in the pasture. But, if they're in HER yard she doles out the ultimate punishment.... sigh. Good thing I like that dog.