Ladies! Cut your own hair?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
ROFL!!! dipence :D

Yeh. Mine is usually in a long braid. Easy peasy.

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
abifae said:
ROFL!!! dipence :D

Yeh. Mine is usually in a long braid. Easy peasy.
And I was only kidding about the HORRIFIED part lol I truly am a lic. cosmo teacher and have a salon in my home and use to teach at a cosmetology school LMAO....

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yup - I use a handheld mirror with my back to the bathroom mirror to do the back. My hairline is the hardest part because I have two cowlicks on my hairline and it's so hard to see and trim straight.

The rest I use the 3-way bathroom mirror.

@dipence - dog groomer here, lol. That's really how I learned about cutting hair and what way to trim to get natural falling hair.

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When I was younger, I used to trim and cut it all the time. Once, I cut it so short (of course the night before school photos), that I had to basically cut it about 1.5 inches long and let it grow out. And I was a tom boy, so I got called a boy all the time. :(

Since then, I tried to cut my hair a few times, and I fail every time, big time. One of my friends is a cosmo (and she can teach) who has her own booth. She is a single mom, so I don't have a problem going to her. She needs the money, too!

Although, I might skip the shampoo next time (even though it was free). One of her friends came over while I was getting my hair shampooed and he thought I was someone else...I almost got a lap dance! YIKES! I was so embarrassed!

I also don't color my hair. Even though I have more gray hair than most people, my husband likes it, and I could care less! She gets on me about it, and I tell her she needs to find me a hippie color brand with no bad stuff in it! LOL!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'm not brave enough!! I refuse to pay a lot though. I used to go to this fancy smancy salon called, I kid you not, "Beautiful People". Kinda says it all. When I was young and first working I could afford it. Now I wouldn't pay it even if I could afford it! I go to a local woman who rents a chair in her mom's salon. It's in her garage! DS and I usually go together and I get outta there for under $30 including tip for both of us. That's with shampoo and blow dry included.
I have an appt. today. Right now my hair is just past my shoulders, permed :ep (let her talk me into that one and don't necessarily regret it) layered with bangs. If I grow it too long it gets really straggly, even with trims, to make a nice long braid, which is how I would love to wear it. But it's too fine. I like it when I pull it back into a bun thingy. Wearing it up in the summer is a must! I've had it short numerous times in my life and it's three times the work for me. The perm was done in mid August. It's time to decide whether to do another one or not. I'm completely undecided. I do want to grow it a little longer so I can pull it back easier. Right now there are layers that fall out and drive me nuts.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did it! Got snowed in and bored and I just went for it. I used the pull it straight up and trim off an inch or two method. I have gotten so many compliments on it. I can't believe it; I really was afraid I butchered it because I have very straight hair.

Only thing is, it doesn't take much off the length, just layers it. I think I'll still have to get someone to trim it a little shorter for me, because I don't want it so long right now.

saraltx

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I got a professional hair cut only twice in my life, and both times I didn't even like it very much. So no need to waste money on it. I always cut my own hair. In fact, last time I cut it, a few weeks ago, I used the same method described in the OPs video link, and it was faster and easier than my usual method.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
I dare not cut my own hair. I'll probably look like a spastic. Or that I got all spastic when I picked up the scissors! :p
When I used to wear bangs, and I cut them too short, my husband would say "You look like a Cambodian Refugee." (No offense meant to any Cambodian Refugees out there!)