LARD

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So I have 10 quarts of lard, plus the two I put in the refrigerator. A friend brought his little boy over, selling stuff that schools do to the kids for fund raisers. Naturally we bought a couple of vastly overpriced items. Russel tried the cracklins and pronounced them good. He was very interested in the whole process and asked a lot of questions. Short version is he has two bags of river caught catfish fillets in the freezer. He’s going to bring them to me, I’ll fry them in the lard and invite him and his wife over for supper.

Cooking down the rest of the cracklins. Put two bags of about a half cup each in the freezer. Will probably get the same from this last batch.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here is the chocolate - chocolate chip cookie recipe I made today using lard. You can substitute lard for butter 1:1 in any recipe you feel brave enough to try it in! Note: These do not spread as much as cookies made with butter! You will have to use your judgement when testing for doneness.
2 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
1/4 cup Dutch Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
Whisk dry ingredients together. In a mixing bowl, add:
1 cup lard
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
Beat together, then add:
2 eggs
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
Beat together, then add:
2 cups chocolate chips ( I used Enjoy Life's Mega Chunks)
Bake 350* for 12-14 minutes.

Can you add burbon/wiskey?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's easier to just use fat strips, or bacon, when larding. I prefer rendered fat as it fully dissappears. I have used butter before. It can get messy so make sure fat is very cold for best results.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I rendered the rest of the fat today. I got 5 quarts and 1 pint of lard. I got a quart of cracklin' lard. It has a strong smell and taste, like cracklin's. It is a clear golden color, waiting to see what color it is after it cools. I got 5 bags of cracklins in the freezer. Yesterday I took out the "chicken parts" and bones, made dog food. I have all the extra stuff out of the freezer now. I have 26 CCX to butcher, 14 are sold, but I need the room for the chickens!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think that's awesome - and so is the pan! I've rendered lard at least three times. Once several years ago - probably 5 at least. I still have part of a jar of that older lard in my milk fridge. I need to pull it out and give it a look. I did another batch maybe a year ago - and it's beautiful, pure white and odorless. Sometimes I grab a jar of it thinking it's milk lol. Even pulled a prank on the grandkids when they were here. I took some out of the fridge, took the top off and was walking towards the dining room table with it. Kiddos were waiting there for their glass of milk. So, I feigned tripping and spilling milk in their direction. They both ducked thinking they were about to be soaked with milk. They were not amused lol. But, they were surprised that it was so pure white.

Third time was just a short while ago when neighbor butchered for me. I gave him half the pig so I only had half a pig's worth of fat. Still got several pints. And, because we've been talking about it so much I'm planning on frying some eggs in it soon.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ive only done lard once. I did it in the oven. I've made tons of bacon bits for soup since then and those pretty much just render. So I think the pot would be easier to deal with than the mess I had.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a couple of those huge pots! One is also enameled & I have made a whole lot of spaghetti sauce in it They also work well for water bath efforts. Just a PITA to store. :D Looks like you did a fine job!