Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
PH up and washing soda are both sodium carbonate...no difference :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Welcome grneyeldy! :bun

I make my soap as a dry powder. Same basic ingredients and amounts (except I add a little baking soda as well). You then run the grated soap through a food processor or blender with the borax and then mix the remaining powders well. 2 - 3 T to a load.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Welcome, grneyeldy!

I make the dry version, too, since I could just picture me trying to get a semi-solid gloppy mess out of a jar:p I love how it works so far. We were on vacation, and I washed clothes at my aunt's house. They stink of detergent.

grneyeldy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I guess it is really just what you want to do. I have been using the detergent all week and it seems to be working well. My daughter is making her first batch as I type this log. Her husbands thinks she may be alittle crazy, but this is a man who milks goats. I think he is worried about rather it will work or not. Of course, I am for trying anything at least once, especially if it will save money. After all, I have been a couponer for over 20 yrs and I hate to pay full price for anything! :lol:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We've been using the homemade laundry soap for well over a year with excellent results. I make the liquid detergent, as dh likes that better than powder. We get about 24 to 30 quarts of detergent out of a whole bar of Fels Naphtha, 2/3 cup Borax, 2/3 Washing Soda, and lots of water. I use white vinegar in the rinse instead of fabric softener.

I've even sold some to some of the ladies at church. So far, I've gotten 5 women making their own laundry detergent. :lol:

ETA :welcome

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
grneyeldy said:
Thanks for your input. I guess it is really just what you want to do. I have been using the detergent all week and it seems to be working well. My daughter is making her first batch as I type this log. Her husbands thinks she may be alittle crazy, but this is a man who milks goats. I think he is worried about rather it will work or not. Of course, I am for trying anything at least once, especially if it will save money. After all, I have been a couponer for over 20 yrs and I hate to pay full price for anything! :lol:
Hey! What's wrong with milking goats???? :lol: ;)

:welcome

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Hey! I am new and have all my ingrediants for making the powder laundry soap, but have a question- can I use a cheese grater for the bar soap and do I need to let it air dry a little before I mix it all up? Or just go ahead and mix it all up? And do I put it in a air tight container? :/

Thanks! Delia

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thats what i use , and just mix it up

ETA : I don't use an airtight container, use an old laundry soap box

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use a whole bar of soap ( pink zote ) , and a cup and 1/2 to 2 cups of both borax and color safe powdered bleach ( and add washing soda when i can find it )