Laundry soap...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
All I do is shake the jugs well before opening a freshly made batch. Usually does the trick, a little lumpy but they dissolve in the wash alright!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I put mine in a 5 gallon bucket beside the machine and scoop as needed. I don't use washing soda but use baking soda instead.

I couldn't find washing soda substituted baking soda and does a great job, but we also have pretty soft water here.

I also use dial soap instead of fels, since I can't find that either. Cleans great and I can't see be buying detergent from the store anymore.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
I put mine in a 5 gallon bucket beside the machine and scoop as needed. I don't use washing soda but use baking soda instead.

I couldn't find washing soda substituted baking soda and does a great job, but we also have pretty soft water here.

I also use dial soap instead of fels, since I can't find that either. Cleans great and I can't see be buying detergent from the store anymore.
You mean I can use Baking Soda? I still have not found what I needed to make my own so i started buying the Arm & Hammer brand of laundry soap as it is cheap and has a nice fresh scent. I woudl really like to make my own.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you can't find washing soda, you need to check at swimming pool supply places. Look for pH Plus or soda ash (sodium carbonate). This is what I am gong to do since I checked everywhere in my town and nobody carries washing soda.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I first started looking at ways to be more self reliant and economical I stumbled across a ...blog...I think it was. I just spent forever looking for the address and can't find it, sorry. The people there also had a hard time finding washing soda and several substituted baking soda. From what I remember, if they had hard water it didn't work out so well, but fot those with soft water, it did well. So I tried it.

It works well for me. Keep in mind if DH comes home very dirty, I have used 2 scoops to get the job done.

Hope this helps you.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Can someone post me a link to the recipies above. I can's seem to find them. I think I may give it a try.

Nevermind I found it. Thanks anyways. g

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok new ?????? for those of you making your laundry soap with the Fels Naptha Soap. What is the going rate on a bar??? I looked them up on e bay and they are just under two dollars a bar. Does this sound about right? thanks gina

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ok new ?????? for those of you making your laundry soap with the Fels Naptha Soap. What is the going rate on a bar??? I looked them up on e bay and they are just under two dollars a bar. Does this sound about right? thanks gina
Depends on where you find them....my closest store sells them for $1.39, my aunt can get them for $.99, and the store one town over sells for $1.79. Check your True Value Hardware store...that's where mom gets hers so cheaply.

OR...you could call or write the company and find out their closest or cheapest distributor to you and check that out.

Some folks have been successful in asking their local stores to order the A&H washing soda and even the FelsNaptha soap in for them.

turney31

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Dry laundry Detergent- 2 cups borax 2 cups washing soda 1 cup all colored bleach 1 bar fels-naptha or Zote I use 2 or 3 tablespoons. I love it! I find all Ingredients at Krogers I pay $1.19 for fels-naptha $1.00 for zote