Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Up to 4 ducks, several more doing the zip, and some have pipped as of this morning, but no more action yet. When I checked the bator with chicken eggs, someone was singing. I marked the air cells, X'd the probable pip locations, topped off the sponge cups, and tucked them in for the night.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Singing? I wish I could hear that LG. You are a lucky lady!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Total of 10/18 ducks. Final count: 2 not fertile, 1 pipped but died, 5 died w/o pipping, 10 alive and kicking. 7 are tucked inside their Mama Heating pad, and 3 left in incubator... waiting for leg bands b/c I suspect they are females!

Chicken eggs are starting to internally pip.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And, to add insult to injury, with our storm, there was also an earthquake @ 6:36 AM on Saturday, with the epicenter focused in/around our town, magnitude 2.1. Hubby and I were left wondering what the source of the BIG BOOM was!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad you got power back on, we do get used to our creature comforts. Not to mention that electricity can mean the difference between life and death. We had storms here yesterday, lots of trees across the lines, lots of power outages.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Baymule, you were suppose to send me some of that rain! The experts said we were to get severe storms, large hail, etc. We are still waiting.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We came back from running errands this morning to a completed chick hatch. 26 eggs were initially set. As incubation progressed, I continued to remove dead eggs. 3 more STINKERS removed prior to lock down, leaving a total of 13. That, right there is a miserable ratio! But, of the 13 that went into lock down, all 13 hatched. THAT, was a great hatch. I often have one or two that need assist, or make it to lock down but fail to hatch. Due date was Sunday. Hatch finished around noon on Monday. Nice color variation. Of the 5 black sex link eggs, 3 were female. It remains to be seen how my egg shape for gender selection will end up for this hatch.

While out driving, many streets were blocked off due to power line and downed tree work. Many trees still laying across the lines. Getting a second slam today, with high winds, heavy rains, flood watches, and wind gusts up to 50 mph. Given the current situation, with many areas still without power, and much more work to do to make roads and electrical system safe, The risk is elevated. I covet prayers for the safety of all involved. There was an earth quake Sat. AM as well!

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new chicks!

Be careful driving around LG!