Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Your hubby's funny! I miss hearing and seeing owls. They are scarce here, but in S.A. we used to see loads. Such beautiful birds!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So cool! We have a few here, we've been seeing them a lot lately, during the day even. They must be hungry. Luckily they can't get to my chickens. Eat those mice! We love our owls.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
GD and I arrived home this afternoon to interrupt a fox attack. So far 3 hens dead, one more most likely mortally wounded. I have not done a head count to see how many are missing. Crows have been screeching and fighting in the woods, so most likely there is fox activity or dead bodies. GD saw the fox, but was not able to give any details. Feathers everywhere. As one would expect, the fox took my favorite hen. She died in my arms. She was a gorgeous EE, daughter of a self blue Am. She had overall red body, and blue tail and wings. Excellent muff and beard. Blue egg layer. I was hoping to get some chicks from her.

Bodies are placed in lower yard, within rifle range of bedroom window.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Final count: 1 completely missing. 3 dead. 2 with wounds that are likely lethal. I have treated with H202 and triple antibiotic. They are standing, not moving, locked into a broody pen. Condition in the morning will be the determining factor re: continue to treat vs. cull.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We don't live in an area big enough for a true LGD. My dog was out all day long yesterday. This attack happened when I was gone for the afternoon. I work tomorrow, and will leave them in covered run/coop. Hope fox does not breach that. Neighbor 1/4 mile away in one direction has a vixen and 3 kits in her immediate area. neighbor 1/4 mile the other direction has a fox frequenting her yard. Looks like free range days are over for my flock.

In the mean time, I'll not be selling any eggs tomorrow. Need to keep a supply of hatching eggs at the ready.