Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lovely. Had some rain last night, will get a bit more today. It's a bit cooler, not even up to 60*! I don't do heat well. But, weather changes give me massive head aches. So... I'm laying low for now, gonna take a few Ibuprophen, then go out in the rain for some fresh air. God's blessings are raining down on me!

Here's a group that you may have not met:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got another one :ep this one is a little older it's got very faint blotches. Hopefully that'll be it for cotton mouths this year (I Hope). Good idea to carry a pocket knife at all times, it's my favorite tool.
Screenshot_20210702-124153~2.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you did that with a pocket knife, I'm guessing you keep your knives real sharp. Good job. I'd be worried about doing the deed with a li'l ol' knife. I'd want something with a 4' handle!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's a good warning. Fear of soil contamination by sourcing compost/mulch/hay materials from other properties is the PRIMARY reason why I got chickens. Some of my tomatoes have funky leaves this year. But, they are growing thick and lush, and setting blossoms like crazy. So... I'm left scratching my noggin over it. But, I don't think my garden is contaminated.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you did that with a pocket knife, I'm guessing you keep your knives real sharp. Good job. I'd be worried about doing the deed with a li'l ol' knife. I'd want something with a 4' handle!
I keep my pocket knife scary sharp 😂. Pin with a flat shovel (snow shovel works great) then cut the head off on the back side of the shovel. Head on one side of the shovel, body on the other side. Cut on the body side. This way the shovel protects you from getting bit. Like I said I normally leave snakes alone, but triangle head = dead if I have my way.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There was a copperhead on the front porch this morning! I went out and fed the animals. Paris trailed along with me. She is our old 13 year old GP. She saw the snake about the same time I did and she started stalking it. It’s mouth was open, ready to bite. I didn’t put up a square shovel the other day, it was leaning on the outside wall. I grabbed it and brought it down on the copperhead. Paris was snapping at it, it was snapping at her. I dragged the shovel, severing it in 3 pieces. I scooped up the head, still open mouthed, and threw it over the fence where Paris couldn’t get to it. Then I tossed the rest of the snake. ON MY PORCH!!

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You need to find out where you manure supplier gets his hay from. Most hay these days are sprayed with an Aminopyralid herbicide to control the weeds. It's getting to where no manure is safe to use in the garden unless you produce it yourself.

I've gone back to using shavings in my nest boxes instead of hay since the hay always ends up mixed in the coop litter.

Hay used to be so good used as mulch since it broke down to lovely soil. Not any more. :(

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There was a copperhead on the front porch this morning! I went out and fed the animals. Paris trailed along with me. She is our old 13 year old GP. She saw the snake about the same time I did and she started stalking it. It’s mouth was open, ready to bite. I didn’t put up a square shovel the other day, it was leaning on the outside wall. I grabbed it and brought it down on the copperhead. Paris was snapping at it, it was snapping at her. I dragged the shovel, severing it in 3 pieces. I scooped up the head, still open mouthed, and threw it over the fence where Paris couldn’t get to it. Then I tossed the rest of the snake. ON MY PORCH!!
Good work 👍 square tipped shovels seem to work well. There's more shovel edge to hit the snake with. With a pointy spade you need a good aim.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You need to find out where you manure supplier gets his hay from. Most hay these days are sprayed with an Aminopyralid herbicide to control the weeds. It's getting to where no manure is safe to use in the garden unless you produce it yourself.

I've gone back to using shavings in my nest boxes instead of hay since the hay always ends up mixed in the coop litter.

Hay used to be so good used as mulch since it broke down to lovely soil. Not any more. :(
I only source hay from one farmer who states that his fields are never treated with herbicide. But, the shavings in the nest box is a good idea. I use leaves that I collect in the fall, and grass clippings from my own yard as coop bedding.

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used to use pine straw, but it pokes you. It hurts when one gets you under a nail. Then I went to hay. I love how it smells, then all this aminopyralid crap started, so went back to shavings. My only problem with shavings is sometimes the eggs get "lost".

I put shavings in my coop and leaves out in the run. My new coop is a storage shed with wooden floor. I don't deep litter in there, just out in the run.