Leg cramp/pain! Leg is 75% better.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
excesive alcohol is a big culprit. google alcohol and leg cramps..they are very common

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
sunsaver said:
I have a pain deep in my calf muscle. It comes on real sharp sometimes. Other times it just aches. This has been going on for three days now and i'm getting worried that it will never go away. What is this? What should i do? I have been sitting around a lot. I used to walk all day in the garden, but it's been too hot. Any advice or idea what this pain is?
Could be a deep vein thrombosis(blood clot)....might want to get this checked by your doc. A deep pain doesn't exactly sound like a cramp and a DVT can be preceeded by "sitting around a lot".
That was my first thought...it was not described the way a cramp typically is. Get to the doctor FIRST THING in the morning. Or now.

Untreated? Pulmonary embolism.....death. If you have any trouble breathing or chest pain call 911.

Hopefully it is just a cramp.

S

sunsaver

There is a small bruise about the size of a quarter above the painful spot, but i don't remember getting hit by anything. Maybe the small bruise will help with the diagnosis. There is no visible swelling or redness. Could it just be a muscle injury?

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know a lady that died form a blood clot in her lag,,it hurt her all day and she refused to go home from work early and see a Dr. By the time she got home form work it was to late.She never made it to the Dr.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep...one of the docs I worked with got one from sitting in his tree stand too long. Described it just like you do....he had to start on blood thinners and started wearing TED hose. Free is right, a PE is a very quick, very painful death. :/

S

sunsaver

Y'all are scaring me. I doubt it's a clot because my blood is very thin from the alcohol use. The first day it started, their was also numbness and tingling in my big toe. I seem to be developing a similar pain in the tendon above the heel of the other leg. Finger often cramping too. The big toe is tingling again. That same toe was completely numb for about two months last year, but the feeling has since returned. I just woke one morning with a numb toe. ??? Also there is a small bruise over the effected spot. It's very localized pain, not the whole muscle. It almost feels like it's the tendon.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Beekissed and I are both trained massage therapists. If you came into my office with that description, I would plead with you to get back in your car and go straight to the nearest hospital, doctor, or walk-in clinic and get to the head of the line. I would NOT touch you. Period.

Bee is a nurse as well. Please take notice of what she said.

If there is a clot there, it may not take much for it to break free. It travels up the leg and as the veins get larger and larger until reaching the lungs, it travels rather efficiently and causes damage to the lungs....quickly.....pulmonary=lungs and embolism=blockage of blood vessel.

DO NOT RUB YOUR LEG!!!! DO NOT BUMP IT.

You are making me nervous.

S

sunsaver

I've been massaging it for three days. So what do they do for a clot? Surgery? It was much better yesterday, but started hurting again today while i was doing some work for a nieghbor. I'm well hydrated now, and as long as my leg is elevated it doesn't hurt so much. It feels like a muscle injury. When the sharp pain comes on, it feels just like a cramp or muscle spasm.
I have no insurance, no money, and the truck is broke down right now, so i can't go to the emergency room. I'll live or i'll die, but the hospital is not an option.

NurseNettie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
Y'all are scaring me. I doubt it's a clot because my blood is very thin from the alcohol use. The first day it started, their was also numbness and tingling in my big toe. I seem to be developing a similar pain in the tendon above the heel of the other leg. Finger often cramping too. The big toe is tingling again. That same toe was completely numb for about two months last year, but the feeling has since returned. I just woke one morning with a numb toe. ??? Also there is a small bruise over the effected spot. It's very localized pain, not the whole muscle. It almost feels like it's the tendon.
Seriously--- don't ignore this. While it could be dehydration--- a dvt is a definite possibility. And a dvt is dangerous (I'm a nurse). Though you live a frugal lifestyle, this is something you shouldn't put off checking out- it's necessary to make sure it is or isn't one. If it IS a dvt, you need medications and close monitoring for treatment. There are no home remedies for it- it can kill you. If nothing else-- STOP POKING AROUND at it-- if you have a clot, it can dislodge and become a major problem. Please do not ignore it. The advice you've been given is sound and prudent. Some things cannot be home treated with good results.