Let's come up with 365 recipes for what we can produce

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here in the eastern plains of Colorado, zone 5, we raise goats for milk, chickens for meat and eggs, an orchard, berries, and a garden. With all of this drought and food shortage talk, it got me thinking: can I come up with enough recipes to feed our little picky family for a year using only what we have on hand??? Just as a quick note: we often do gluten-free meals, and 2 of the 3 of us don't like most cooked veggies so we eat most of them raw.

=======================
Here's what we can produce on our 2 acres:

Starch: potatoes, millet, amaranth, corn

Protein: almonds, hazelnuts, english walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, black beans, white beans, chicken, eggs, poss goat, goat milk, homemade goat milk farmer's cheese (and assume turkey which is similar to chicken and beef which is similar to goat)

Fruit: apples, pears, plums, apricots, peaches, grapes, red and yellow raspberries, blackberries, elderberries, blueberries, watermelon, strawberries, raisins, cranberries (IF we can get them to root and grow), red and black currants

Vegetables: asparagus, broccoli, red cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers, greens/spinach, pepper (hot and bell), radishes, rhubarb, squash (yellow and zuke), squash (winter: amish pie pumpkin, hubbard, cushaw, butternut, spaghetti), string beans, tomatoes (yellow pear, roma, orange slicer)

Other from farmette: garlic, onion, dill, parsley, basil, chives, sage, mint, oregano, rosemary, stevia

Stored Supplies: salt, oats, rice, sugar, molasses, pickling spices, ground flaxseed, apple cider vinegar, honey, baking powder, tea, coffee, pan spray, olive oil/canola oil, pectin, canned tuna in water, cinnamon, nutmeg, dark chocolate chips, dum dum suckers, pasta (reg and gluten-free), bottled lemon juice, canned garbanzo beans, bouillon cubes, all-purpose flour, pepper, mayonnaise, spicy brown mustard, ketchup, pickle relish.

======================

So ... I want to create 365 menus and recipes using only the above items. Assume there's nothing in the cupboard or pantry. And we can use goat meat like beef. Can you help me? Please type a post with a recipe, and number it (first person's recipe is #1, etc ... so we can keep track). I'll add some too (I'll be back ... already late for morning milking).

Perhaps we can ALL benefit from this project.

ETA: (will bold things I add)

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'll start things off:

Recipe #1: Simple Greek Vegetable Salad

I love this from Garbanzo's mediterranean restaurant, and love recreating it my own way.

Ingredients:
1 cup peeled/seeded/chopped cucumber
1 cup halved yellow pear tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
sprinkle salt

Directions:
Combine all. Salt to taste. Add chopped red onion for a hint of spiciness, and chopped walnuts for a bit of protein.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i would do...

recipe #2:
vegitable soup

carrots
greenbeans
potatoes
corn
tomatoes
possably some meat
salt and pepper

you can add or subtract anything you want.

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've been trying to dream up basic versatile dehydrated meals--that is a good basic recipe.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Recipe #3

DESSERT!!!!

Zuchinni Cobbler
FILLING
8 cups Zuc. peeled and seeded use large
2/3 cup lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
Mix and cook until tender and set aside to cool

CRUST
4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup butter or oleo
cinnamon sugar to sprinkle on top

Mix crust till crumbly and pat 1/2 of crust into an oblong baking dish.
Bake that crust for 10 minutes at 375*
Place filling on baked crust and then put other 1/2 of crust mix over filling.
Sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar over top.
Bake at 375* for 30 minutes.

Don't tell them it is zuchinni and they will think it is apple....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Recipe #4

Stir Fry

Basically you toss several vegetables together with some meat for a quick easy supper.

Cube meat of choice, chicken or goat. Put a little oil in skillet and add meat. Toss in a handful of nuts and some dried whole hot peppers if you like them.
Take out and set aside. cut into bite sized pieces the vegetables of your choice or whatever you have ready to harvest at that time. Put in the skillet and stir until just heated through, add the meat mixture and get it all combined, turn off the heat. Serve over rice or other grains.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My wife got this basic recipie (for a soup called borscht) when she was in another part of our region. Some Russian peasant people had settled in that area, and the ancestors of the woman who shared the recipe had come over from Russia prior to the Soviet revolution. So the ingredients can be raised in a fairly northern climate, and I think also into the moderate-climate areas of the US, though I'm not sure about the hotter, humid areas of the Southern US. But maybe.

Anyways, tastes delicious.

1 quart of tomatoes (diced) with their water
3 largish potatoes, peeled & diced
head of green cabbage, knife-shaved or shredded
3 quart water - this may consist (up to 1 quart) of soup stock, incl meat stock, on-hand
3 large onions, diced medium-small
2 largish stalks of celery, diced fine
1 large beet, diced fine
1 large carrot, diced
1-1/2 cup of whole milk (or 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup cream)
Cooking oil
Butter
1-2 tablespoons of finely-chopped dill
Salt

We make this soup using a couple different knives to dice and shred the veggies, but of course you can use a food processor.

Into a soup pot, put the quart of tomatoes with their water and add three more quarts of water (or water/soup-stock combination), add the diced potatoes, beet, and carrot - and the shredded cabbage. (I like to shave the cabbage from the head using a serrated-edge knife, but you could use a grater or food processor for a fine shred.) Begin heating the pot on a burner, and try to keep the heat level of the liquid just below the boiling point.

Take a large skillet, heat it on the stove, coat the bottom with cooking oil and add butter, and introduce the diced onions and celery. Stir and saute these thoroughly, then add them into the soup.

Add the milk (or milk & cream) and stir in.

Simmer the soup for an hour, adding more water when evaporation reduces the level. Then add the dried dill, stir in. Simmer for a minimum of thirty minutes more before serving. Sample a spoonful or so of the broth and add salt (if needed) to taste.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
My wife got this basic recipie (for a soup called borscht) when she was in another part of our region. Some Russian peasant people had settled in that area, and the ancestors of the woman who shared the recipe had come over from Russia prior to the Soviet revolution. So the ingredients can be raised in a fairly northern climate, and I think also into the moderate-climate areas of the US, though I'm not sure about the hotter, humid areas of the Southern US. But maybe.

Anyways, tastes delicious.

1 quart of tomatoes (diced) with their water and add three more quarts of water (or water/soup-stock combination - can be a meat stock, if you like)
3 largish potatoes, peeled & diced
head of green cabbage, knife-shaved or shredded
3 quart water - this may consist (up to 1 quart) of soup stock on-hand
3 large onions, diced medium-small
2 largish stalks of celery, diced fine
1 large beet, diced fine
1 large carrot, diced
1-1/2 cup of whole milk (or 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup cream)
Cooking oil
Butter
1-2 tablespoons of finely-chopped dill
Salt

We make this soup using a couple different knives to dice and shred the veggies, but of course you can use a food processor.

Into a soup pot, put the quart of tomatoes with their water and add three more quarts of water (or water/soup-stock combination), add the diced potatoes, beet, and carrot - and the shredded cabbage. (I like to shave the cabbage from the head using a serrated-edge knife, but you could use a grater or food processor for a fine shred.) Begin heating the pot on a burner, and try to keep the heat level of the liquid just below the boiling point.

Take a large skillet, heat it on the stove, coat the bottom with cooking oil and add butter, and introduce the diced onions and celery. Stir and saute these thoroughly, then add them into the soup.

Add the milk (or milk & cream) and stir in.

Simmer the soup for an hour, adding more water when evaporation reduces the level. Then add the dried dill, stir in. Simmer for a minimum of thirty minutes more before serving. Sample a spoonful or so of the broth and add salt (if needed) to taste.
As a long-time borscht maker, and eater for my entire life, I'm thinking you may have doubled the water/stock in the recipe above?

Also, borscht doesn't usually contain milk (it will curdle), but you can add a dollop of sour cream to each bowl at the table :)

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow ... I go away for a few days to deal with this nearby shooting, and come back to find more recipes! Thank you so much! Keep 'em coming!

About the cobbler, can we use bottled canola oil instead of butter or oleo? Truth be told, I don't make pie crusts very often. And right now, I have zucchini coming out of my ears.

Recipe # 5 was the borscht ... wasn't planning to grow beets, but we could give it a try

Recipe #6 Basic Corn Bread

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal (grind home-grown corn!)
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 egg, beaten

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine dry ingredients thoroughly, then slowly stir in milk, oil and egg until moistened. Grease an 8 or 9 inch square pan, then pour in the batter. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know why you couldn't use the canola oil instead of the butter for the zuchinni cobbler crust. It is so easy to make, just pat it into place. I also cooked the zuchinni for the cobbler, but took the pieces and dehydrated them. Tasted like chewy cinnamon candy!

Recipe #7

Baked chicken

1 dead chicken
McCormick's Carribbean Jerk Seasoning

Generously sprinkle the jerk seasoning inside the chicken and outside, top and bottom. Place in large covered pot. Add a little water to keep bottom from burning. Bake at 350 degrees several hours or until a fork will twist easily in the meat.

Serve with vegetables that are in season at that time. Cook a pot of beans to go with it.

Recipe #8

Leftover chicken

Fry whole corn tortillas until crispy. Mash some of the leftover beans and put on the tortillas. Try to keep the beans as dry as possible so the tortilla doesn't get soggy. Top with chopped or shredded chicken, slices of bell pepper or jalepenos, and cheese made from your goats. Place them on a cookie sheet and heat in oven at 350 degrees until cheese melts and is bubbly. Make a salad to go with it, and serve.

Recipe #9

Leftover chicken #2

Boil the carcass in the pot the chicken was baked in. The Carribbean Jerk seasoning is already in the broth, so won't need to add much more seasoning. Take carcass out and let cool, pick remaining meat off bones and throw back in the pot. Add chopped onion, celery, bell pepper and any other vegetables that may be in season. Add pasta noodles and cook until tender. Serve with garlic french bread.

If you have a large family, start with two baked chickens so you can use the leftovers to make other meals.