liquid laundry soap

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hqueen, yes I did. I added some sage oil. I love the scent of it and it smells great in the detergent. Oh, and I added it before it gelled up, it was still pretty warm.

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think I made it a little strong *cough cough*, but it'll work out fine :)

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello! I'm fairly new to this site. I want to learn how to make some of my own products and I came across this forum. What does this smell like and can you add a scent to powdered detergent or just the liquid? I've never heard of any of this except for the BS so this is all new too me :) Thanks for your help!

BirdBrain said:
Here is what I use:
1 bar Fels Naptha grated fine
3 cups Washing Soda
3 cups Borax
1 cup Baking Soda

I whirl the soap and baking soda together in my food processor to make it even finer. Then I add to the rest, mix well and put in a tub by the washer. I use a rounded tablespoon full and a glug of vinegar with each load. This does not foam up so it is great for HE machines. If the load is rely dirty I put twice as much detergent in.

If you are looking for liquid, get a 5 gallon bucket. Fill it half way with warm water. Dissolve the powder in about 2 quarts of hot water. Add to the bucket and add enough additional water to get within an inch or do of the top of the bucket. It will gel as it cools and must be mixed up.

Several of us have moved from using tge liquid to just using the powder as storage for all that liquid can get cumbersome. Powder is easy and takes up very little space. I used to swear by liquid, but I lived in a bigger house then.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I believe you can find Fels Naptha soap, Borax and Washing Soda all in the laundrey soap aisle at Walmart. I would think other places also. I have seen them in Walmart in the recent past. Someone else will have to address the scenting of dry detergent.

Good luck with your endeavor! And :welcome

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The scent is... Different. You have to get used to it. First few times I made it with Fels I HATED it, while others claimed that they liked it (figured they were just plum crazy). Now, I've started to come to terms with it and I kind of like it now. It certainly doesn't make your clothes stink of scent when you're done, but whatever. You get used to that to. I've been debating on trying some of my clean cotton scent, but haven't gotten that far yet. Not sure how it'll incorporate or "stick" in the fabrics.

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks so much! I think I'll be spending lots of time on here reading and learning :) I'm so excited!

snapshot said:
I believe you can find Fels Naptha soap, Borax and Washing Soda all in the laundrey soap aisle at Walmart. I would think other places also. I have seen them in Walmart in the recent past. Someone else will have to address the scenting of dry detergent.

Good luck with your endeavor! And :welcome

Smokin Silkies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I guess there is only one way too find out :/ lol My family is used to me trying new things and they've come to terms with so much change already. I'm glad they are so easy going. They don't think twice anymore when I'm starting a new "project". I can't wait to get started! As soon as I have some free time away from my 4 kids & herd of animals I'll give it a shot lol...might be awhile :rolleyes:

Bettacreek said:
The scent is... Different. You have to get used to it. First few times I made it with Fels I HATED it, while others claimed that they liked it (figured they were just plum crazy). Now, I've started to come to terms with it and I kind of like it now. It certainly doesn't make your clothes stink of scent when you're done, but whatever. You get used to that to. I've been debating on trying some of my clean cotton scent, but haven't gotten that far yet. Not sure how it'll incorporate or "stick" in the fabrics.

goddessaside

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
myzanya said:
I have seen it mentioned before here for Fels-Naptha soap bar
and I havent.seen it in our area...
am wondering How different is it from an average soap bar...????
Very hard, no "scent" as such (just a rather utilitarian "clean" smell). Not going to win any beauty contests but does the job. <g> I read somewhere one time that it was the invention of Fels Naptha that made it possible for farmers to be around other folk without being noted as such by the smell of their clothing!

We've always kept it in the house from the time I was old enough to remember such things... I have always been very allergic to poison ivy, and if we knew--suspected!-- I'd been exposed, out came the Fels Naptha and I scrubbed off any places that might have been touched. It does seem to work, as long as you can soap up fairly quickly after possible exposure.

Rhonda

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, I use Zote soap which is available from Family Dollar. $1 a bar and lasts!

Latest posts