liquid laundry soap

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I use the big holes as well. I use the liquid mix and use 1/2 bar of FN, 1/2 c. Borax, 1/2 c. washing soda and 6 c. water. I use old detergent jugs with the spouts removed as they are nigh indestructible and the caps make for good measuring cups. I keep three jugs so that when I am down to one, I can make a batch and fill the other two empty jugs and I just rotate the jugs in that manner.

I usually heat the mix, fill the jugs with cooler tap water to about the level that will still accommodate the soap mixture and then split the soap between the two jugs. I do that because placing the soap and then topping it with the water created too much suds for a proper fill. Shake and then shake again before using.

I've tried scenting with the EOs but found the scenting didn't last past the wash and drying. I'd say that the soap may just remove that oil much like it does any other grease/oil and unless I use an exorbitant amount, which is cost prohibitive, I'm not going to get that smell in my clothes.

Besides...I love not having any scent in my clothing at all. I've grown so used to having scent free clothing that I can detect instantly when the boys come over to dry their clothing that has been suffused with their smelly detergents and softeners in my dryer...the smell will linger in my dryer and cling to my clothing for several cycles after their clothing is long gone.

Ick~too cloying.

I've been using the liquid FN detergent for 6 years now and I love it. I'll never go back to the other unless I can no longer find the mix ingredients....for now I'm pretty stocked up on those.

KaboomAngel

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
moxies_chickennuggets said:
I use rain water for laundry....
So... How does that work? A wash bin? A laundry machine? Interesting...

BeccaJoVon

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Yeah, that is what I was seeing, too, Bettacreek. I guess a bit of extra baking soda and a little more washing soda should work.
I have been using my naptha bar for stains, and it has worked very well... with the exception of my work polo shirt. I dripped some grease from something I was eating on it, and the first run through the washer (cold water only always) it didn't get treated, and then this run through the washer I remembered to rub the bar on it, but it still doesn't look like it has come out. My work polos are never dried, either, so I know that isn't the issue...
Not that it is a big deal, I think we're getting new shirts soon, which would be nice as the quality of these has been terrible.
Pretreating with Dawn dish liquid works great on oil.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BeccaJoVon said:
hqueen13 said:
Yeah, that is what I was seeing, too, Bettacreek. I guess a bit of extra baking soda and a little more washing soda should work.
I have been using my naptha bar for stains, and it has worked very well... with the exception of my work polo shirt. I dripped some grease from something I was eating on it, and the first run through the washer (cold water only always) it didn't get treated, and then this run through the washer I remembered to rub the bar on it, but it still doesn't look like it has come out. My work polos are never dried, either, so I know that isn't the issue...
Not that it is a big deal, I think we're getting new shirts soon, which would be nice as the quality of these has been terrible.
Pretreating with Dawn dish liquid works great on oil.
Pre-treating= If I am out somewhere, or even at home...and I stain something I am wearing....I immediately dot some Dawn on it....or the foam handsoap. Really, any liquid soap works great. I don't try to rinse, just finish the day out wearing it...then, take the piece of clothing off, roll it up, then wash regular the next time I do laundry. Most everything comes out well that way.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Cool tip! Thanks! I'll try that the next time I run it through the wash!
It has never been into the dryer, stained or unstained, so I think that I probably still have a chance of getting it out.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I gave up the dryer back in 05. Moved to a place where I wasn't allowed to have a clothesline... :barnie Was too poor to even think of using a dryer. 2 jobs, take home pay was never more then $900. month. I felt using the money to heat with...natural gas.....was way more important than a dryer. I collected some of the folding clothes racks.....some found at goodwill etc....bought an extra shower curtain rod...and hung everything up. I used plastic hangers for hanging the clothes in the extra bathroom tub...or mine if the other tub was being used. Sheets I draped over the furniture.

Now, I still have a dryer, but it is not even plugged in. I have a clothesline now, have my racks, and my extra shower rod. DH and I have been doing fine with that set up.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Moxie I wish we had more space and/or a clothes line. I have 2 racks that I use, and we don't dry underwear or tshirts, which makes up almost half of our laundry, so that does well. Someday I hope to be able to hang more of our clothes... just not yet :)

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My years I was on strike...I had a 2 bdrm trailer, out west in Kansas. I understand about limited space. Sometimes, I would load the racks up, then slide them back into the tiny laundry room, between the washer/dryer and the freezer/furnace. I am just stubborn that way, and absolutely had NO extra $$ to run the dryer. But, the heat from the natural gas furnace warmed the house, and dried the clothes.

Oh, it was my college age daughter and myself then too. 05-07.