Little Creatures

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our little or not so little bird input has decreased greatly after the "thaw" of melting snow.
I have also been putting a little scratch out for the lower ranked roo so he can eat after being run out.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
we don't feed them or encourage them, but we also can't really keep them out so the best we do is try to ignore them.

we used to trap and relocate them but it was getting really silly in that we could trap a new one every night for weeks at a time.

we don't grow sweet corn here. that's about all the concessions we make for them and we have to make sure to plant the onion starts we use inside the fenced gardens and they have to be planted deeply enough that the raccoons can't smell the fertilizer used by the greenhouse.
I read a while back that it's a high possibility that most animals that are relocated end up dying due to being taken out of their familiar area.

We have fencing around about 2 acres with electric. We did that to keep the foxes from hunting our poultry. Sine then there have been very few raccoons around. No more foxes hunting either.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Interesting thank you. :)

Can these plants be grown o a windowsill?
In a southern facing window you could possibly start the seedlings, but they should be grown outside in a garden plot to do the best. If you don't have a garden spot, you could probably grow a plant in a very large pot outside.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Marie2020 Keep me posted on how they do.

I planted all of my pepper seeds two days ago, and was looking for my Jalafeugo seeds that I've been ordering from Johnny's the past few years. I forgot to order them this year! I ordered some other seeds, but not the Jalafeugo. I saved some seeds from last year, so I planted those. They'll probably be crossed with another pepper, so It'll be interesting!
I'm still waiting on my seeds, however there are seeds I my chillies in the fridge, I may have a go at planting a few tomorrow. You never know my luck :)

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's an upload from google: Although peppers are self-pollinating and generally do not cross, sweet peppers and hot peppers belong to the same species and can cross with one another. If pollen from a hot pepper fertilizes the flower of a sweet pepper, all of the hot pepper genes from the father plant go into the embryo and the seed.
I've grown saved seeds that turned out some hybrids. They were actually some good peppers.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
While your Jalafuego is a hybrid, you will still get decent peppers from it. As a matter of fact, I believe it's fairly common to grow second generation seeds from hybrids. The resulting plants will have lots of genetic diversity that can then be selected to produce plants that excel in your growing conditions.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Us folks from "up north" are totally clueless about what a bobtail is, so I downloaded an article. Interesting article, and interesting creature. I can see why you are fond of them. When I was in Guatemala, we had a lizard that would come in through our AC unit where it wasn't installed tightly into the wall. My room mate wanted to evict it b/c she was scared of it, and it chirped. But, I wouldn't let her. I told her I'd rather have a chirping lizard in the room b/c it would eat any insects that came in. https://www.healthywildlife.com.au/bobtail-lizards/#/

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I was growing up, my brother would catch painted turtles in the lake when we went swimming. He brought one or two home, and my dad made a "turtle pen" out back around an old apple tree. They had a 6" trough for swimming. IIRC, the pen was about 8' x 8'. I also had a couple of the little green turtles that could be bought at the pet shop in there. I believe those little green turtles were about 49 cents! I love having reptiles in my garden, but sadly... they seem to prefer the lawn, where they are prone to chicken/duck/dog/lawnmower attack.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A Snapping Turtle came up from the marsh to lay eggs just outside of the gate.

DSCN6635.jpg