Little Creatures

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are feeding out a steer also and he always leaves crumbs for the birds.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
At our last house we had a lot of sparrows eating the chicken food, but not so much here. Turtle doves occasionally. We feed black oil sunflower in our feeder, and sparrows do not eat them.

I do love sparrows though, and love to hear their songs.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The birds are still less active but the squirells are waiting for the coop door to open now. Had one sitting on top of the swinging layer pellet feeder just having a buffet.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
today Mom said she had a raccoon looking at her through the patio door while she was working at her quilting. i didn't get to see it, but i believe her. the middle of the day is a strange time for one to be out but perhaps it just wanted to catch some rays after the cold of last night.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
today Mom said she had a raccoon looking at her through the patio door while she was working at her quilting. i didn't get to see it, but i believe her. the middle of the day is a strange time for one to be out but perhaps it just wanted to catch some rays after the cold of last night.
Maybe he was wanting a snack.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I read a while back that it's a high possibility that most animals that are relocated end up dying due to being taken out of their familiar area.

We have fencing around about 2 acres with electric. We did that to keep the foxes from hunting our poultry. Sine then there have been very few raccoons around. No more foxes hunting either.

if you don't move them far enough they will come back.

yes, i've read that it's not a great idea either. i much prefer what we are doing now (just ignore them and learn to work around them).

for the price of an electric fence we can eat a liftetime supply of sweet corn bought at the store. we just don't eat it that often where it matters much to me that we can't grow it here. i may change my mind in the future if i move or decide to do things differently here... until then, tally ho, it's just life as usual. :)

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would really like to find jalapenos it would be great to actually grow them . I only come across the pickled here
They're easy to grow. The variety I like is actually a hybrid from Johnny's Seeds, called "Jalafeugo". It has the hybrid vigor.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Marie2020 Keep me posted on how they do.

I planted all of my pepper seeds two days ago, and was looking for my Jalafeugo seeds that I've been ordering from Johnny's the past few years. I forgot to order them this year! I ordered some other seeds, but not the Jalafeugo. I saved some seeds from last year, so I planted those. They'll probably be crossed with another pepper, so It'll be interesting!

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
IMG_20210329_134532_442.jpg

Can you spot the bobtail? Just about stepped on this little dude on the front door step. Had crawled behind the pots by the time I got the camera Out. Tons of these around here, I love them!

(Hopefully this photo isnt too huge! It wont let me resize on the phone, sorry!)