Liverwurst cooking advice needed....even if you've never made it!

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I will NOT eat cooked liver, as in liver and onions. But pate, liverwurst, braunschweiger?
Gimme some crackers, some thinly sliced red onion and get outta my way! Love it. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You will have to be patient, mtn, since I just ordered a new seal for my canners and won't make this for almost two weeks! Sorry! But I will report back, you know me! :p

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Ok...got the gps going on the blackberry....where is this liverwurst party?? :drool

Bourbon Red

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I grind the liver, fatty pork, onions, garlic and sage (all I put in mine - oh - a little red wine too) all together raw. Then I whirrr it up in the food processor some more (or use one of those stick blender thingies) to get it really smooth (I like it 'grob'- but it seems to get too crumbly for me. Ground (blended) finely I can mix the fat, juices and wurst together in a jar and makes a nicer more spreadable pate). Pour it in the jars (again 2/3 as it expands when it cooks... put on a generous dallop of lard (this ain't diet food!) - that helps it not dry out. It all separates a little - so give it a stir with a knife when you use it. It's more of a firm spread than a slice. If you pressure can it it'll keep in the jar - but you can also just cover the top with foil, bake in a waterbath and then put lids on the jars and freeze them - that works great too if you have the freezer space.
Do it ASAP! Those livers won't last forever! Right OFG?

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
[small threadjack in process] What is the difference in liverwurst and liver cheese? I agree BBrooks :sick, but my Mom loves livercheese, and treats herself to it (the package stuff from the sandwich meat section of the store) about once a year. Just trying to figure this out.... [/threadjack] ;)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hehehe, I could probably figure it out, but I'll get there first and there won't be any liverwurst left for anyone!!!! :lol: So not to worry Free, your address will not be shared by ME!:bun

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Bourbon Red said:
I grind the liver, fatty pork, onions, garlic and sage (all I put in mine - oh - a little red wine too) all together raw. Then I whirrr it up in the food processor some more (or use one of those stick blender thingies) to get it really smooth (I like it 'grob'- but it seems to get too crumbly for me. Ground (blended) finely I can mix the fat, juices and wurst together in a jar and makes a nicer more spreadable pate). Pour it in the jars (again 2/3 as it expands when it cooks... put on a generous dallop of lard (this ain't diet food!) - that helps it not dry out. It all separates a little - so give it a stir with a knife when you use it. It's more of a firm spread than a slice. If you pressure can it it'll keep in the jar - but you can also just cover the top with foil, bake in a waterbath and then put lids on the jars and freeze them - that works great too if you have the freezer space.
Do it ASAP! Those livers won't last forever! Right OFG?
aint that right. brother its all on you and your february pigs. i'll be up to get me some of that liverwurst.

ok a confession. last nite for dinner all i ate was chicken liver pate on toast points, red wine....and oreos.

i'm not kidding. i think i gave myself gout and diabetes. and yes it was worth it.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2 weeks, huh? That should give us all time to make travel arrangements. You got enough room to bed us all down, free? I lubs liverwurst. I can only get the processed kind in the store, and who knows what's in it, but I bet fresh-made would "make your tongue slap the roof of your mouth silly."