Liverwurst cooking advice needed....even if you've never made it!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here is the recipe: http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/liverwurst.html

We didn't get casings, and I am thinking we can put it into a loaf pan like a meat loaf, stick a meat thermometer in the middle, cover it with foil (before the thermometer!), and steam it in a covered pot of simmering water. Maybe lift the loaf pan up on some canning rings to get the water moving under it.

Then it could be sliced for sandwiches.

Waddaya think?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Here is the recipe: http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/liverwurst.html

We didn't get casings, and I am thinking we can put it into a loaf pan like a meat loaf, stick a meat thermometer in the middle, cover it with foil (before the thermometer!), and steam it in a covered pot of simmering water. Maybe lift the loaf pan up on some canning rings to get the water moving under it.

Then it could be sliced for sandwiches.

Waddaya think?
What do I think?
:sick

That said, I would try a small amount in a little bowl first, just to see what the texture will end up as.
Better ruin a small part, then the whole batch.
Oh, and line the pans with parchment paper!!!!!!!

Bourbon Red

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That should work - or - I put it in jars and either cook it in the waterbath in the oven - or fill about 2/3 full (I use half pints as that's as much as I can eat in 2-3 days. Usually...) and put a big dallop of lard on top - put lids on and process 10lbs for what? I think it's 75 minutes for smaller jars 90 for qts isn't it? At 10 lbs. Looks like $#^* - tastes great.

Casings? You don't need no stinkin' casings!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I say try it and invite me over to taste test it???? :p
I adore liverwurst!!!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Bourbon Red said:
That should work - or - I put it in jars and either cook it in the waterbath in the oven - or fill about 2/3 full (I use half pints as that's as much as I can eat in 2-3 days. Usually...) and put a big dallop of lard on top - put lids on and process 10lbs for what? I think it's 75 minutes for smaller jars 90 for qts isn't it? At 10 lbs. Looks like $#^* - tastes great.

yeah what he said! jars are GREAT for it and you can freeze it in the pints. easy peasy

run, not walk, over to the ruhlman site for how he does it.
http://ruhlman.com/

or also check out julia child - she knows about this stuff

(speaking of.. my chicken pate was fabulous)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I vaguely remember rectangular shaped liverwurst coated in fat from my childhood in Germany. I scraped the fat off, but my friend's family ate it with the fat. Maybe her mother made it. But you definitely do not need the casing. I am sure the fat had something to do with preserving it.

When will this be done, I'll book a flight ;) Me love liverwurst. It is especially yummy on whole grain rye with pickles and covered by a piece of french bread :drool

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bourbon Red said:

Do you refridgerate the jars then?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, but the winner is:

Bourbon Red said:

That one is a smack on the forehead and a big "Duh!" from me! Of course! Easy-peasy!

Question, though....just grind the raw liver and the pork meat and add spices, raw pack, pour some lard on top, and process? Or precook the liver a bit as the recipe says to?

I've canned meatloaf this way, and it makes an amazing sandwich. I guess the liverwurst would be similar, but smoother, maybe.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
You absolutely MUST report back on how this turned out. I will try to be as patient as I can. I have three sheep due to be butchered on the 12th, with livers coming back to us. I love liverwurst, and need the iron and B12. And thank you for those links. I have searched liverwurst recipes for over a yearnow, withno luck. I did end up one day making a pate, that the dogs got. So not the same.

<<Where is the impatient smilie drummin his fingers on the table.>>