NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's funny, my dog was never afraid of gunshots or fireworks when he was a pup. Now that you mention it, may have been around the same time he was neutered (not that he's a LGD breed but still) that he got scared. He's finally getting over it now. Except when we rapid fire semi autos.... He hates that.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I hope so too! This $16 thundershirt has been the best investment for this problem...can't believe it worked so quickly and so well. Will still use it when I need to calm him down, like for transporting him in vehicles or if I know there will be a lot of gunfire all around(hunting season).

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i'm hard pressed to believe that neutering plays a large part of it. may be wrong but every Anatolian that I ever had was neutered at about 8-9 months and I never had one become fearful of loud noises. could be wrong, that's been known to happen before. flash bang is the name of those canisters that police throw into houses, ect to get the bad guys to give up and come out or makes it safer for the officers to go in after them. not only do they have a very, very loud explosion but the flash that it puts out is so bright it temporarily blinds them. that is what he exploded that scared emma to death. I don't think she'll ever get over it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aw poor dear, that's intense. Yeah I don't know why, my dog is just neurotic. My parents use a thundershirt for their dog, they're really happy with it. He'll always need it but it helps him.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ben started his fears of the loud noises after my boys set off some tannerite on the land. Don't know if you've ever heard it but it's akin to setting off dynamite...VERY loud and rolling/echoing noise afterwards.

It was Southern by Choice who told me about these breeds being known for developing fear of thunder after neutering, so it must be a "thing"? I'd never heard it but I'm not inside the whole LGD community of breeders and don't study up on the breeds much.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
well i'm not in the lgd community either so I don't know I just have never experienced it. and yes indeed I know what tannerite is. have red necked country boy friends that play with that stuff.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
forgot to answer your question about lgd's and birds of prey. I know you asked bay but i'm a busy body so I thought i'd throw my 2 cents in. yes my Anatolians all barked and chased big birds away from the barnyard and the chickens. any thing bigger than a bluejay was fair game. now JJ has taken up the torch and chases them away. she even keeps the blue heron away from my pond. and she isn't sure she trusts those jays much either. I believe ben was after the hawk because he knew it was up to no good. atta boy ben.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some tannerite sitting in my gun safe.... It's entertaining.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
forgot to answer your question about lgd's and birds of prey. I know you asked bay but i'm a busy body so I thought i'd throw my 2 cents in. yes my Anatolians all barked and chased big birds away from the barnyard and the chickens. any thing bigger than a bluejay was fair game. now JJ has taken up the torch and chases them away. she even keeps the blue heron away from my pond. and she isn't sure she trusts those jays much either. I believe ben was after the hawk because he knew it was up to no good. atta boy ben.

My Lucy dog was a LGD mix of some kind and she too would chase away any large birds from the land and they didn't have to be raptors. She would lunge up into the air at buzzards, crows, hawks, etc.

Jake was raised from a pup at her side but has no LGD in him and he never really caught onto that behavior, nor was he dog aggressive like she was, thus the need for Ben to arrive here to plug the holes in Jake's defense team. Jake is great for wild four legged preds but too friendly to strays and didn't react to aerial threats. Together they make a great team, though.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I was working in the garden until almost too dark to see my way when I heard a single coyote yelp in the field next to us..probably about a 100 yds out. Ben jumped up and gave one bark back, then went back to lie down. I guess that's all they needed to know...coyote is there, Ben is here...now we both know. :gig

I love that about these two dogs of mine....they don't waste a lot of words. :D