Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
One thing I see over and over on forums and YT vids on training these dogs is the information that the dogs are "independent thinkers" and are difficult to train due to this, that some things we shouldn't even attempt to train them on due to this and that we can't really expect much obedience due to this. I was even told this when I got Ben...not to expect that a LGD would train to obedience training and not to expect him to guard chickens effectively as he wouldn't "bond" with them. :rolleyes:

What a horrible thing to pass along...it's like some kind of bad rural myth. Nothing could be further from the truth, IME. Not only is it VERY important to train these powerful dogs to live on small homesteads but it's not that hard to do at all. They are intelligent and eager to please, food motivated which makes them incredibly easy to motivate, and very quick to catch on to most things you want to teach.

Another thing I see passed along as gospel truth is that you shouldn't even expect these dogs to leave chickens alone until they are 2 yrs old or even older, as they don't "mature" until then and are still puppy enough to want to chase chickens. That leads people into not even trying to train these dogs until it's so difficult to do that it takes forever to break their already established bad habits. What's happening up until that age? Yep...he's been allowed to bark, chase, lunge at or otherwise pay undue attention to the chickens in a run without any firm correction for it as a pup.

What a load of bull pucky!!! Not only is it important to train them immediately on chickens when they arrive as pups but you can also teach them not to play with the chickens then too, just like you can teach them not to jump up on children or put their mouths on children~or adults, for that matter~ you can teach them that chickens are not to be herded, chased, barked at, lunged at or any other unwanted behavior towards the chickens....or any livestock, for that matter.

The only acceptable behavior around livestock is a calm behavior and that needs to be ingrained in a dog, be he a puppy or not. He needs to be taught there's a time and place for rough playing, but it's never around or with the livestock.

As with training children, the lessons learned earliest are those that stick the longest and best, so the earlier you can train your pup on chickens, lambs, kids, etc. the better. Establishing your rule over the dog comes first and often simultaneously with training on these things....three basic commands get taught the first week and thereafter~come, sit, leave it.

For the life of me, I can't understand folks who claim their dogs won't come to them when called...that's the most natural instinct of any dog, to come to the leader of the pack. If you have not established that leadership, then problems naturally ensue.

I wish folks would stop repeating it as gospel that these dogs can't be taught to behave as a pup, that they can't be taught to come to you when you want them to or leave it. It's just not true and it really sets people up to fail with these dogs right from the start....then you see these dogs in rescue situations because people couldn't keep them from killing chickens, killing the neighbor's ~or their own~dogs, couldn't stop them from running off when called, etc. because they didn't even try to train them until it was too late.

Most dogs are independent thinkers, as are we...but we can still be taught to obey. Many breeds have been bred for hundreds of years for a certain purpose or job, so what? That's like when people say you can't use a Lab to guard chickens because he's a bird dog and has a high prey drive....such baloney! They are incredibly easy to train to chickens and are among the best of the breeds that make great farm dogs.

When people fall for that hooey and drop their expectations for the dog is exactly the point when they get what they expect...a worthless(for the job) or troublesome animal.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Was just watching a vid, yet another, on LGDs on YT wherein they stated that these dogs bark a lot and that's just something you have to put up with in these breeds. Somehow that doesn't hold true on my place, no matter the LGD that is here, as I ask them to change that propensity. There's necessary barking and unnecessary barking, just as with any dog, and that's something that needs to be addressed.

Yep, I train them to bark only when necessary. People then ask how I know when it's necessary and when it's not. That's probably because I've lived in these woods for most of my life, so I know the predator flow, I know the nature of the threat, I am outside at night and listen every evening to what's going on out there....most folks go in the house and night, the windows are shut, they watch TV or otherwise occupy themselves with no ear out for the subtle things going on out there on the land...they just hear the dogs barking and assume what they hear means that the dogs are doing their job and no one should interfere with that.

Learn your dogs, learn their barks, watch how they work in the day time and see what they bark at, for how long, and then use your own mind~yes, they tell you that these dogs actually KNOW more than you do, so you shouldn't try to change them :rolleyes:~and determine if you think what he's barking at is a real threat. If not, teach him that. If so, let him roll on.

It's not controlling IF he barks, it's controlling how long and frequently he barks. A dog is going to bark at a perceived threat and that's good....but perceived is the word we want to examine. If you live in town and the dog is underworked~meaning he has no real predators to ward off~he will bark at every dog or human that passes by and that activity is going on day and night in a town. These dogs shouldn't be kept in town, they really will drive you crazy with barking, as the only "threats" are not true predators at all.

But, out on the little homestead? Big predators are not passing by that frequently~unless you live in Africa or deep in Alaska?~ especially if they know you have these dogs on the land.

The barks can be kept to a real threat vs. a perceived one. Deer? Not a threat...Ben can take a run at them and a woof if he likes, but he can't stand and bark them off the land. No purpose in it. I can tell, in the night, if Ben is barking at a deer vs. a coyote...if you can't tell that with your dogs, you can take the time to listen and observe more and find that out. A warning bark at a predator sounds vastly different than a casual, I see you and you need to leave bark at a harmless animal.

Give a verbal correction for the bored, repetitive barks you hear that are located in one spot...that's just a dog vocalizing into the night, no urgency in his call. It's just a steady woof, woof, woof, woof towards one direction. That means whatever was there is moving away and he just wants to talk about it longer...I don't allow those kinds of barks.

An urgent and sharp, WHOA-WHOA-WHOA!!!!!~3-5 notes of alarm, is an alarm bark and you'll hear that moving across the land, not normally in one spot...that's a dog chasing a predator presence away from the boundary of his land. He may stand there at the point of the smell/sighting and continue with the sharp, urgent bark until the predator has turned and is moving away, then that should stop. If it lapses into the repetitive, lazier bark, then you can expect him to stop barking....give him a correction if it continues for more than a matter of a few minutes.

I sleep a wonderful, peaceful sleep here with my windows open all night, because even when the dogs have to bark it's blessedly brief and business like in nature. It's not often because they are doing their jobs just by being out there and the local predators know they are there...they can smell them, see them and are aware.

Let's get it straight...their barking does not do their job, their presence and vigilance is doing the job. The predators do not need to hear them to know they are there, no more than your dogs need to hear the predators to know if they are there....it's a world of scent out there in the night. If barking was doing the job a person could put a chihuahua out there and be done with it...they bark incessantly and at every little thing and you could save on the feed bill tremendously.

Feel free to train your LGD dog to bark only when necessary and only then...it won't ruin him nor keep him from his job.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have ours trained to a tap on the window. That only works if they are in the yard. if they are up by the road, nothing much works unless I want to walk out there and just like you, Bee, stand still and listen. I just stand there and Trip knows I'm there and appears out of the darkness with a goofy grin on his face. He gets a hug and that usually settles it. But that BOOF BOOF while laying in a hole, just because he can......tap the window and both of them look like they just got caught stealing a cookie.

Bee, well written and that is good training advice.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My old Lucy dog would get into that bored barking and I'd have to do the window tap on her too! :D Just sitting there in the middle of the yard...sitting, mind you...barking at a group of deer walking on the side of the mountain clear across the road on the next farm in the broad daylight.

Pretty soon she learned that just my footsteps moving towards the window was signal enough to shut it and shut it NOW...I'd take that first step off the couch and she'd stop barking abruptly. After awhile she got to learn what I thought was acceptable and what wasn't and I no longer had to remind her.

These breeds are so intuitive and sensitive to our wants that it doesn't take much at all to teach them to respond to what we want, does it? Smart, smart dogs!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just happened to be up in the night and got a chance to correct Ben on excessive, random barking. I listened for a bit...at first it seemed warranted and fairly urgent. A little later it lapsed into single or double woofs in various places on the land, but it was becoming too frequent and more low key, rhythmic in nature. That's just Ben wanting to talk into the night. If Jake isn't chiming in, it's not worthy of talking about.

Stepped out and told Ben to "shut it!" Blessed silence out there now, with only the fall night bugs singing.

Every once in awhile that training needs to be reinforced. How do I know I gave a correction at the right time and for the right thing? Because he has remained silent.

If there were a real threat out there, he'd bark anyway and it would hold a certain urgency to the tone, a certain aggressiveness and Jake would be vocalizing as well. Jake only ever barks at real threats...he's always been a very silent dog and will defer to his partner on general warning barks most of the time, but if it's big and it's close, I'll hear Jake out there too.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Also a good reason to move. That would never happen here, and I will never live in a place that could happen. Idiots. (By idiots I mean the court, not the owners)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have to agree with the court on this one, though not with the vocal cord cutting...I'd have made them decrease their number of dogs and attend dog training classes so they could learn how to manage their dogs more effectively.

No WAY should anyone have to put up with that for 10 yrs and no WAY anyone needs that many dogs to guard a handful of livestock on 3-4 acres in a suburban setting.