livin' on the funny farm- SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I notified all shelters in a 40 mile radius. The few that would take him don't have room TO take him. Most are city shelters and won't take a dog from outside city limits. The only 2 shelters that would take him, at one I would have to pay a 30-50 dollar fee to leave him, and the other asks 20 dollars but they have a long waiting list and dogs on death row at local pounds get priority, so they rarely have room. So I either have to keep him and feed him or find him a home. My 2 male dogs HATE him and it is a matter of time till there is a fight. I questioned the one that takes the dogs from death row about him being purebreed and wether or not he might have been dumped and she said that out of the last 20 dogs she pulled from local shelters, 12 were purebreed. She also said that purebreed dogs seem to come in waves, and they think that the puppy mills take the dogs they no longer want or need and dump them. There have been 7reports of found purebreed dogs in the last 3 days (as of Friday). And none are fixed or microchiped. So there is a good chance he is a dump. Very sad realy!

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's a couple more places to try:
http://www.houndshavenbassetrescue.com/SURRENDERING-A-BASSET-HOUND.html
http://www.bassethoundrescue.com/iowa.htm
http://www.iowabassetrescue.org/contact-us

If you choose to contact any of them, please do be clear that he showed up at your house (you don't own him) and you can't keep him because of your current dogs' attitudes toward him (not because he's nasty). Those two things will go a long way toward getting you bumped to the head of the line before people who are rehoming their dog because he doesn't match the furniture anymore.

I'm glad he found you while he looks for somewhere more permanent. Hope he finds somewhere quickly.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yah, the bad thing is that he adores my daughter and follows her every where. she said we should just keep him. :barnie i was SOOO hoping that his owner would be found quickly. you would think if he has an owner they would be frantic looking for him. he is a very nice dog. when i do look for a new home for him i am going to ask for a vet refernce and request that he be fixed. the shelters are closed today but am going to recheck with them tomarow. i also put found dog ads on all my facebook groups. and that covers a 50 mile radius. i also put on all of my ads "please if you let this dog go or dont want him any more, PLEASE let me know. no questions will be asked". of course i do have questions...

there hasnt been much going on here lately. (other than the dog)

i have a very uninteresting life.:idunno

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well, dog is still here. checked back with all shelters, vets, and sheriff offaces. he isnt causing any trouble. and the pit is getting used to him.

making pizza for dinner and my daughter looks at me and says "god, why cant we just get frozen pizzas or tv dinners like everyone else?" she didnt want to hang the laundry out yesterday, and thought we should get a dryer. and just wanted to play her game thing. :smack

my mom has called me 5 times today and 4 times yesterday. and still hasnt realy said anything.

even with the watering, the garden is starting to wilt. have lots of little tomatoes coming on, and the beans are flowering. but the cucumbers are about dryed up. the green peppers are flowering.

the latest batch of chicks is about ready to go out.

going to the big city tomarow. got to go to sams club.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well, i took away dd game. dh and i went to sams club by ourselves. told the kids (15 and 16 yrs old) if they did some cleaning, while we were gone i would treat them to some candy. got home and the cleaning was done. but the older of the 2 was mad cause she did all the cleaning while the other was on her game all the time. then she got mad cause i got the wrong kind of skittles. so i am now the temperary owner of a pink gameboy thing. grrr. now she isnt talking to me. DARN IT!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nah...nnow she has to complain how boring it is. She is normaly a good kid, but here lately...geeze!

I can't wait for school to start.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the basset hound owner showed up today. :woot

dd is still a brat. told her i was done with her bs, and she needed to straiten up her attitude. we will see how that goes. i think she knew i was at the limit.

we got rain today!! about 1 1/2 inch and we might get more here in a little bit. yay!

made some dr. pepper jelly today. it will be for my dd18 boyfriend for xmas. i want to see how it tastes before he gets any. i am starting to think up what i will give in the cristmas baskets this year. (i know it is early) but i want to do ALL homemade stuff this year. i am thinking lip balm, soap, jelly, loaf of bread-so far. i have been getting cheap baskets at yard sales for .10-.25 each.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Glad you found the owner.

I wanna be on your Christmas list this year! Those sound like great gifts!

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Totally agree I want to get started early too! I think matching soap, bath salt and bath fizz all in Christmas theme will be good, or maybe really nice necklace/bracelet/earring combos or some of both. I will still buy for my mom and best friend because they do so much for me they deserve a big Christmas--and I'm a gift-giving addict! I might do some honey jars too, depending on the bees!

Latest posts