Local Vitamin C Sources

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If shipping broke down [more], where would you get adequate vitamin C from every day? Please share your location for context.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm in WI. I'm allergic to oranges and choose to not eat citrus for fear of sensitization.

Looks like dried strawberries and kiwi would be my best options. I dont grow either.

I'm aware the Native American tradition was eating the kidney and fat deposit on top of the kidney, and deer intestine contents. I'm not there yet, and dont expect to ever want to get there. 🤢

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm in WI. I'm allergic to oranges and choose to not eat citrus for fear of sensitization.

Looks like dried strawberries and kiwi would be my best options. I dont grow either.

I'm aware the Native American tradition was eating the kidney and fat deposit on top of the kidney, and deer intestine contents. I'm not there yet, and dont expect to ever want to get there. 🤢
Rose hips? My roses produce an abundance of them although the Wood's roses far outperform the others.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Rose hips? My roses produce an abundance of them although the Wood's roses far outperform the others.
I was just looking up info on rose hips! 👍 Looks like Rosa Rugosa is a good choice for my area, but its suckering and spreading habit is a concern. Seed is expensive!

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blanc Double de Coubert is a Rogusa rose that hasn't suckered for me, and produces good sized hips. I don't know how abundant hip production is since I deadhead most of the summer. I stop deadheading late in the summer to get some hips. In a SHTF situation, I would stop deadheading.

I need to start some plants from seed.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's a fact that every place that humans have settled, there was a source of Vitamin C (well, of COURSE! otherwise the humans that settled there died out!)

Orange juice has been touted for Vitamin C mainly because it tastes so good, but it's neither the only nor best source.

Pine Needles, Rose hips, acerola cherries, blackcurrents, strawberries, brassicas, tomatoes and peppers, wild lettuce and chicorys and endives, thyme and parsley, kiwis, persimmons, the contents of seal stomachs.... etc etc etc.

The process of fermentation (as in sauerkraut) is virtually the ONLY way of preserving food that doesn't destroy Vitamin C. Even wine has vitamin C (although it's only a trace)

You only need 10 mg of C a day to keep scurvy at bay, which is almost impossible NOT to get, if you eat vegetables. Of course, getting more than that is better, as there are a lot of things Vitamin C does besides prevent scurvy.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most fresh green veggies have plenty of vitamin C.

Eating fresh meat has a very small amount but it is enough to keep you healthy if you're eating a mostly meat and fat diet. Organ meats are something that should be done except in the arctic with seal and bear liver because of the vitamin A level.

The problem with vitamin C is that it's sensitive to heat, drying, and time. Hence all the scurvey problems.

Latest posts