Lorihadams-- hi guys...been busy!

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My 5-yr old is giving me an attitude too! and he's in school all day, maybe that's where he's learning it. Right now he's up in his room because I lost my patience with him today.

The beach....mmmm....beach. I think we're heading to the lake this weekend. Too bad it's still a little to cool for swimming.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I told Maddie that she could go anywhere she wanted to for lunch on her birthday and she said "I want to go to Grandma C's beach house for lunch" :rolleyes: she lives in Wilmington, NC. I was hoping to go for her birthday but C couldn't get off work so we had to do it this weekend and now hubby can't get off work. I'm thinking I may just go solo for a few days. A change of scenery would do me good.

She does vacation rentals for Access the Beach Realty and she has several houses that she can get from some really good clients of hers for nothing for a few days for us every once in a while. We usually go for a week every year but because of the move last summer we couldn't swing it.

Now we are getting the bees and the goats and the new garden and if I'm gonna go I gotta do it now or it won't happen.

I did a lot better today with the schoolwork but had to make them both sit and do some written work for about 10 minutes each. It wasn't that bad....then we acted out all of their vocabulary words and that was fun. Then we went down to the pond and walked all the way around it and came back to research what kinds of eggs we saw in the pond....American Toad, btw. They lay the coolest eggs. I let the kids touch them and we found salamanders and newts and saw some minnows and talked about habitats and ecosystems. It was fun. :D

So much fun that Maddie came home and promptly collapsed on the couch. Gonna have to wake her up for dinner....

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
So much fun that Maddie came home and promptly collapsed on the couch. Gonna have to wake her up for dinner....
I had to throw mine in bed kicking and screaming......or maybe that was me. :/

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
"I want to go to Grandma C's beach house for lunch" roll she lives in Wilmington, NC.

I have family there. Well, they moved to Burgaw, but I spent many, many summers and easter vacations on Market Street right in the middle of Wilmington.

Thank you for that link!!!! I finally have gotten my DH on board with my plans for nut and fruit trees! The magic key was one of the persimmon trees! I've been looking for it for 2 YEARS at various nurseries.

http://www.tytyga.com/product/Wildlife+Persimmon+Tree

He had this tree as a child and won't touch any other persimmon. I, myself have never had a persimmon, but he can have whatever he wants!

I'm getting enthusiastic dialog from my husband about fruit and nut trees!!!!!!!!!

YEAH BABY! YEAH BABY! YEAH!!!!!!!! WOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!! :weee

:ya :clap :celebrate

Lori! I LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOVVVVEEE YOU!!!!!!! :love

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
You should get you some moonshine and put those persimmons in it! YUMMMMMMMMM That was my great grandma's favorite....great grandpa used to run 'shine, they were from Franklin county you know....moonshine capital of Va!

Gonna take me all day to catch up on here....I'm going through withdrawals....hubby took the computer to work the last 3 days. Grrrr.

Oh, and I have new pets.....American toad eggs that are turning into tadpoles as we speak....they were wiggling this morning and the kids were super excited. Gonna go down to the pond to get some new water to add to the mix....I'm gonna have frogs everywhere!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Mama's daddy ran shine way back when back in the NC mountains.

She told me a story about it once.

He and a friend went to another friends house to pick up a load. He knocked on the door and the response "who is it?" came back.

He replied by giving the last names of he and his friend - which is how they knew each other. Next thing they new, they heard cussin' and running and things breaking and shouting. Grandaddy and his buddy were trying to figure out what in the world was going on in there so he knocked on the door and hollered "Yall let us in now!!"

Eventually the ruckus died down and someone opened the door. Once he saw grandaddy, he was fightin' mad. "What in the HE** is the matter with you?!!!" he shouted. "NEXT TIME YOU COME TO MY DOOR YOU BETTER GIVE FIRST NAMES!"

"What are you talking about? I told you it was Webb and Eure. What's the matter with YOU?!!"

"I thought you said it was the REVENUER!!!! I done poored out all my lightenin'!!!!"

They never really were on speaking terms after that LOL.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
You should get you some moonshine and put those persimmons in it! YUMMMMMMMMM That was my great grandma's favorite....great grandpa used to run 'shine, they were from Franklin county you know....moonshine capital of Va!
Yup my DH is from Franklin Co....he's got it in his blood. :/

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
That story is AWESOME!

My cousins made a still for their 7th grade science fair project....put the sucker on wheels!

My mom was selling cars a while back and they had a contest where they gave away a Dodge Ram and the guy who won it came in to sign all the paperwork and had such a good time he brought everyone a gallon of shine when he came back to get the truck. :lol:

I got my almond trees ya'll!!! I got home from the library, TSC, and mechanic's (oil change) and they were on the back porch! They are bare root but look good and have buds on them. It is supposed to get below freezing tonight so I have them in the kitchen and we'll plant them either tomorrow or Saturday.

Got the coops cleaned out and they look a lot better. I had run out of shavings and hadn't added any in the last week...glad I only have 9 girls...:sick

Tomorrow I have to take Frawg to the vet for her last round of shots. We have tadpoles growing....we got up this morning and the eggs we got from the pond were wiggling and had developed tails overnight! The kids are waaaaaay too excited to have all these toad babies.....:rolleyes:

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Tomorrow I have to take Frawg to the vet for her last round of shots. We have tadpoles growing....we got up this morning and the eggs we got from the pond were wiggling and had developed tails overnight! The kids are waaaaaay too excited to have all these toad babies.....:rolleyes:
so where are the pics? :p