Lorihadams-- hi guys...been busy!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awww, I am so sorry...how tragic for you both. I hope he can remember the good times and get over the sad ones.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
:hugs Sorry to hear about Etta, Lori! Maybe it will help your son to draw a picture or tell a story about his favorite memories about Etta to help ease his grief. It is hard losing a good "pet".

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
well, today has been better although we had a tantrum last night concerning the tombstone. Tyler wanted to show Chad his markings and when they went out there there were deer nearby so hubby didn't want to go over there and scare the deer (he went hunting this morning). That did not go over well and I made him go back out to see it anyway. I think it really hurt Tyler's feelings that he put deer over his tribute to Etta.

This morning is better, the weather has turned colder today and we are actually looking at the possibility of some wet snow Saturday night. Tonight we have "spooky splash" at the YMCA....swimming with games and halloween activities all rolled into one. Gonna mean that I'm late milking tonight but it should be okay. I tried to milk Aliana a little later than normal this morning to compensate for the time difference tonight and we should be okay. I'll probably be about 45 minutes later than normal milking tonight.

Got Maddie a wig for her "vampire cheerleader" costume. She wants to be a Monster High girl but I refuse to buy another costume so we sprung for the Draculaura wig and she is wearing the hand me down cheerleader outfit (that actually kinda resembles the "fearleader" costume on monster high). The wig is black with pink streaks and pigtails and her costume is pink, white, and navy blue. The monster high one is pink white and black so in the dark it won't look that different :p

Tyler's costume is the same alligator costume from last year, still fits and is super warm which is good cause it is going to be in the 30s for trick or treating.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yeah, that has to be one of my favorite "barnyard" pics. :lol: We had the windows open at the old house and they free ranged there so they were always jumping up on the railing and peeking in the windows. We didn't have any screens so she just walked right on in and onto the table and helped herself to Tyler's dinner of chicken alfredo and peas.

She was a sweet girl and liked to ride on Chad's shoulder when we first got her.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
So, lets see....Hussie died Halloween morning, our other original hen and Etta's "sister". I am really thinking that the cold snap just did them in. Hussie was fine and then I got up Monday morning and poof, she was dead inside the coop. She was in molt though and I guess her time had come. I didn't want to ruin Halloween so I haven't told the kids yet.

Today, I acquired a new pet in the house......wait for it...............................................a meadow vole. Yes, a meadow vole. I had to look the dang thing up on the internet just to find out what it was. The kids were playing in their playhouse and apparantly it crawled up inside one of the walls. It is a little tykes playhouse that had blown over in the last storm we had so evidently the thing set up house inside one of the walls. Long story short we spent all afternoon trying to get the thing out of there so we could see what it was and after much beating and banging Chad finally got it out, caught it, and put it in a tub. Hopefully it won't be here long. :rolleyes:

Today I made chili and got all the laundry done cause Granny and Papa are coming for the weekend and tomorrow is library day so I don't know when I would get it done otherwise before they got here. We did lots of fun stuff for school today, talked about the human body and did some science experiments with bubbles and talked about light and force and how bubbles work and experimented with different shapes and stuff. Watched some neat experiments that a guy has posted on youtube, I highly recommend them because they are short and fun and easily reproduced at home. SteveSpanglerScience on youtube....do a search and you'll get all kinds of stuff he's done. It looks like he does segments on a local tv show or something and these are the videos of them. The kids loved them.

We also read a book on the human body and then because the weather has been so wonderful today, I let the kids play outside a lot. Then the playhouse episode happened and now Chad has gone hunting and they are cleaning up. They took their play food outside and played restaurant in the playhouse before they discovered the vole. My back porch is also covered in bubble solution. Fun stuff.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Tyler came in and said "mommy, that meadow vole must be nocturnal cause I heard him trying to get out of that box all night long....just digging digging digging all night long"

He was so cute. :lol:

Yesterday was rough...I went out and got the car loaded up and got lunch packed and everything ready for the library and a day at the park and the durango wouldn't start. :barnie Battery was toast...hubby called his uncle and he came and jumped it for me but we had to let it sit there with the jumper cables connected for a few minutes to charge enough to even get the engine to turnover. So I took the kids to the library and left the car running and put our return books in the drop box and then drove to the park and sat in the parking lot with the engine running for 20 minutes while the kids played where I could see them. I told a couple ladies that I knew what was going on and they agreed to keep an eye on the kids for me if they needed anything. After 20 minutes I called them to come get in the car and we drove home. It started again about 30 minutes later but by the time Chad got home it was dead again. He hooked up the voltmeter to it and got nothing. He took it to Napa and they tested it and said the battery was good but the connectors were fried so we had to get another battery. $119 :th

Oh well, nothing I can do about it. Today it is raining but Granny and Papa are coming tonight for the weekend and papa is bringing me his muzzleloader so I can go hunting Saturday evening when we get back from taking Bethoron to the breeder! It will be my first time hunting with a muzzleloader and I'm really excited to go. I had a 6 pointer run across the driveway in front of me last night when I came back from my beek meeting. We also watched 2 big does in my BIL's yard yesterday afternoon for a while so they are just everywhere and the bucks are really starting to run the does. I'm watching two squirrels chase each other all over the kid's playground stuff. Silly things. :p

Today we are gonna go back to the library to get a few more books and go to the book sale they are having all this weekend and see if they have anything I can use for schoolwork/reference materials. I also have to hit the grocery store again. The kids are killing me. They are eating me out of house and home. Last night Chad went to look for an evening snack before bed and all the yogurt, chips, bread, fruit, and cheese were gone. He was ticked.