LovinLife- Happy New Year's all!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Okeedokee! It might be a day or two but I will join Dreaming of Chickens in journaling status. And answer the questions! Thanks for the gentle invitation/ push!!!!!:)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
You can also use your journal to ask questions.....just change your title. I often change mine when I want to attract certain forum members to answer. For instance, when I have a duck question I'm hoping Wifezilla will notice, and when I have a goat question there are certain people I'm hoping are online, etc. I know Abifae does the same with her sewing interests and we don't all write a bunch of hilarious, well-written entertainment like OFG. I was surprised that anyone here was even interested in my dog stories, but they seem to be, so your journal can be about whatever you want. That is the nice part.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Snapshot, I'm no where near self sufficient and have been journaling for a year or more now. We are discussing our EFFORTS for the most part, no one here on this forum is fully self sufficient and many journalers are in apartments and such, Abifae comes to mind immediately. And several other people don't have land or property except a back porch or whatever.
TINY lot in the middle of the BIG city here! Jump on in Snapshot ... the water is fine. :D

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I received my "Red Cheeked Cordon Blue Finches" at the post office today. I got a pair from Finch Farm and have been sooooo excited to get them for over a week! I opened the box and they both flew out quick as lighting! I just cracked the box and they flew out like they have been waiting for days for someone to just crack it! I caught the female with a net and put her in the cage but the male has disappeard. I'm pretty sure he flew upstairs but can't imagine where. He's a tiny thing so I guess he could be hiding anywhere. Thank goodness I don't have the windows open! I guess I'll just have to wait until he starts calling for the female. Until then keeping all doors and windows shut. :hit I hope I didn't lose him :hit We have one recessed light in the celing in the stairwell that he could have gotten into and I'm hoping it doesn't go through to the attic. What's the smiliey for "nervous wreck"??

On lock down,
Angela

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
LovinLife said:
savingdogs said:
Snapshot, I'm no where near self sufficient and have been journaling for a year or more now. We are discussing our EFFORTS for the most part, no one here on this forum is fully self sufficient and many journalers are in apartments and such, Abifae comes to mind immediately. And several other people don't have land or property except a back porch or whatever.
It's nice to keep up with people who are on their way to and learning to be more SS. I like to read when somebody is learning to make soap, cull chickens, etc. it helps me learn to. We also do a lot of venting on here, which is good for the soul! :)
Yep yep! Efforts aplenty :)

I really love reading journals. I have my "go to" people for all KINDS of questions too lol.

Just jump in :)

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LovinLife said:
I received my "Red Cheeked Cordon Blue Finches" at the post office today. I got a pair from Finch Farm and have been sooooo excited to get them for over a week! I opened the box and they both flew out quick as lighting! I just cracked the box and they flew out like they have been waiting for days for someone to just crack it! I caught the female with a net and put her in the cage but the male has disappeard. I'm pretty sure he flew upstairs but can't imagine where. He's a tiny thing so I guess he could be hiding anywhere. Thank goodness I don't have the windows open! I guess I'll just have to wait until he starts calling for the female. Until then keeping all doors and windows shut. :hit I hope I didn't lose him :hit We have one recessed light in the celing in the stairwell that he could have gotten into and I'm hoping it doesn't go through to the attic. What's the smiliey for "nervous wreck"??

On lock down,
Angela
I got him! :weee I got him! He came flying out of his hiding space and I scooped him up with the net! Now he's safe and sound with his GF in the cage. Yaaaayyyyy!!

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know what to do with my son. He's 6 and is in the first grade in a public school. His father and I never married but remain friends. I am married and we have a 2 yr old daughter (DS's step-sister). My son has a good relationship with his father and step-father. We all get along fine. Nobody trashes anyone, we spend DS's birthday parties together and sometimes do other things together. However, I don't know how to get him to listen without yelling. I hate to yell, it's not in my nature but it seems to be the only way to get his attention. He is a bully to his sister and back talks to me. He's kind of a jerk most of the time. If we go somewhere fun he always say "well that was fun but they didn't have ______ or I didn't get ____". This makes me so frustrated. He says he wishes he didn't live here but he can't live with his dad because I stay home with the kids and his dad works, a lot. I wish I knew what to do to get through to him. If he's being rude to me or his sister and I tell him to go up to his room he yells at me and slams doors. He's 6! If he doesn't learn to respect and listen to me now then Im in a world of trouble later on. We have a set of rules posted and I also use the "pebble jar" as punishment and reward, but that's not motivation enough for him. Tell me what to do.....I'm so tired of yelling!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Plain and simple, don't yell. Sit him down and tell him there are new rules. He will be given 1 warning and told what his punishment will be for not listening. Then, if he doesn't listen, follow thru. Right now, you've "trained" him NOT to do anything until you yell, so that's what he's waiting for. If he slams the door, make him come back, and close it properly. If he complains about some place that you've gone not having such and such, tell him fine, next time we go out, you can stay w/a sitter. And then, do it.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Plain and simple, don't yell. Sit him down and tell him there are new rules. He will be given 1 warning and told what his punishment will be for not listening. Then, if he doesn't listen, follow thru. Right now, you've "trained" him NOT to do anything until you yell, so that's what he's waiting for. If he slams the door, make him come back, and close it properly. If he complains about some place that you've gone not having such and such, tell him fine, next time we go out, you can stay w/a sitter. And then, do it.
You make it sound so easy...what kind of punishment? Spanking, please say spanking....j/k. I would never spank. He's 6 and has the 2 yr sis that will sit there and mess with him if I try to put him in time out. I think he's too old for time-outs now. Any punishment ideas? If I say I'm going to take a toy he really doesn't care because the way he sees it, if I have the toy then his sis can't play with it and that's good with him. The other thing he loves to do is read but I can't take his books away. He's not a big TV watcher or "gamer". And I can't say that he's not allowed outside because none of us are allowed outside right now because of the killer skeeters. :idunno