LovinLife- Happy New Year's all!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your first meal of pork should be accompanied by a special "toast" of thanks to the pig that gave it's life so that you could live...

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britesea said:
Your first meal of pork should be accompanied by a special "toast" of thanks to the pig that gave it's life so that you could live...
Great idea!

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
Britesea said:
Great idea!
That is a good idea. I try to comfort myself with the thought that she was treated very well while at our home and by now she is at rest.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
im sorry you had to go through that and personally id be putting in a complaint and telling them that due to the unessicary behaviour you will not be using them again and will not be reccomending them to anyone else...

that was ridiculous and unessicary and that person better get his karmic redistribution...
not only for treating an inteligent creature like that, but for that behaviour around your kids to...

at least its done now, she lived a wonderful life and will put many a wonderful meal on your table.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Glad you didn't need the comealong and harness to get the pig in! I am sorry for your trauma after dropping her off. Just focus on the good life she had with you, the forthcoming bacon, and ham, and chops and next year you'll have someone better lined up.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LovinLife said:
I GOT THE PIG ON THE TRUCK ALL BY MYSELF TODAY!!! :celebrate
I went out this morning and set the ramp up and baited it with donuts and, with a lot of patience, got her up the ramp and in the truck! Then we drove the 1.5 hrs to take her to the butcher. Next time we are going to do the butchering ourselves, for sure!! When we got to the butcher they had a man meet us around back with an electric fork and he was stabbing her and stabbing her trying to get her out of the back of the truck. She was squealing and shaking the truck and my kids were scared. It was terrible! Then after she got out of the truck and into the holding area, I was packing the kids back in the truck and before we could get out of there he went into the holding area and started stabbing her some more. I could here her squealing as I was trying to get out of the parking lot as fast as could and talking to the kids really loud so they didn't hear. They were both very sad when we left and it took all I had not to start crying. It's not so much the fact that I raised her from a little piglet as it was to see her treated like that! I'm tearing up just thinking about it. I wish I would've know they were going to do that! I hope they went ahead and killed her quickly. Next time, if there is a next time, we will treat the pig with the respect it deserves, all the way until the end! I can't even imagine what they do to commercially raised livestock.....
I am so sorry to hear about your experience! That is terrible! One of the reasons I do my chickens myself. It is a ton of work but I must do it so that I know they went fairly peacefully. Kudos to your decision to do it yourself next time :thumbsup

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you for all the support!! I learned a lot of lessons with keeping my first pig, my other pigs will be grateful!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting her on the truck yourself!

And, there was an expose of slaughter houses a couple of years ago. They focused on cattle, but the same principles hold for any animals, I think. They do not get people working there that have any respect for the animals. I would be hesitant to say sociopaths are attracted to the job, but probably not far off. Having someone come out to your house will stress the animal much less. I'm sorry your kids had to see it, too. :hugs

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH is out collecting truck loads of FREE firewood, courtesy of Irene! :celebrate Now we just need to finish getting the wood stove installed. :rolleyes: I had to submit plans and the manufacturer's installation directions to the County for a permit. I just submitted a hand-drawing of the clearance wall and floor protection so I hope I hear something soon. In the meantime we will start building the wall and floor without covering anything up. We also need to purchase the chimney. I'm sure that's going to be a huge expense but it will pay for itself by next winter (if not this winter). I also need to get the glass frame fixed on the woodstove. Finally, I need to learn to chop wood. :lol:

We're headin' to the beach for the day! By for now.