Lupin Farm ~ Updated photos of the goat pen in progress

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
As a result I've become enamoured with Newfoundland, their commercials just make me want to pack up my old kit bag, load up the horses, and move to somewhere magical like Hearts Content, or Little Hearts Ease.

Who needs Ontario when Newfoundland has adorable village names like that?
I always wanted to move to the little town in Oregon called "Sweet Home"

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I need to come up with $25.00 by next Saturday...

For Luna's hoof trimming...

I'm hoping someone buys my tub of Solace lol because I don't even need it and its just eating up space.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My new saddle!

It's a FQH Wintec Western with a 17" seat. I had to order it to get the seat size, and boy is there a huge difference between the 16" and the 17" seat! I sat in a 16" at the tack shop and I felt like I was going to 'splode out of it, I tried out my 17" at home on the saddle stand and its GREAT. Nice a roomy for my badunkadunk lol. I need to switch out the nylon latigo with leather, but otherwise it looks great and I can't wait to try it out with Mylie. I'm pretty certain it'll fit her :)

newsaddle.jpg

Don't mind the english saddle pad and leather halter hanging from the horn LOL I have like no storage right now, I won't be getting my tack room and tack lockers until the summer, so for now all my stuff is camping out in my bedroom.

I made more yummy cookies today with our ducks eggs, I've discovered I'm not at all a fan of duck eggs for eating so I've been putting them in cookies and such.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ohhh... I love your new saddle... I'm trying to find a Wintec 500 english saddle with a medium-wide or wide tree, used.... so far no luck, but I borrow one from someone else at the barn and love it.

That must be so light compared to the leather western saddles.... it's a very pretty colour.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Im not a horsey person, and I cant tell ya English from western, or whatever... :lol: But that sure is one pretty saddle!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
ohhh... I love your new saddle... I'm trying to find a Wintec 500 english saddle with a medium-wide or wide tree, used.... so far no luck, but I borrow one from someone else at the barn and love it.

That must be so light compared to the leather western saddles.... it's a very pretty colour.
lol I'm looking for a Wintec 500 A/P as well :cool:

But I need an 18" seat, so its not so easy to find them used and I may end up buying new.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The one I borrow is an 18 inch seat (they run small, if you actually measure it, it's closer to 17 inches). My big fat quarter horse doesn't fit in any of the dainty english saddles... I need a big wide gullet...

I keep telling everyone at the barn I got a chunky horse so MY butt looks smaller up there :)

I've bought most of my horsey stuff on ebay, it's usually cheaper than the tack shops around here.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
The one I borrow is an 18 inch seat (they run small, if you actually measure it, it's closer to 17 inches). My big fat quarter horse doesn't fit in any of the dainty english saddles... I need a big wide gullet...

I keep telling everyone at the barn I got a chunky horse so MY butt looks smaller up there :)

I've bought most of my horsey stuff on ebay, it's usually cheaper than the tack shops around here.
Yeah, Mylie is about as wide as a house... like most wide QH. She has a huge bum ;) lol. I tried out the 17.5" at my local tack shop and decided the 18" would be better. I like a roomy saddle lol, I could get away with the 17.5" or even the 17" but the 18" would be nice and roomy. The 17" Western is awesome. I may eventually get a nice leather western too, because I'd like to show Mylie in a few western classes at our local fair. I'm gonna hit up the Claremont Horse Auction for that :cool: because they often have really nice westerns for a good price.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's gorgeous out today in Ontario! Lovely and sunny, lots of blue blue sky and its so warm! When we got all the snow it made it almost impossible for me to move a roundbale down to Luna's field so I've been taking hay down there from a roundbale by hand for the last week. It's a pain in the butt, and I always end up covered in hay bits but its cheaper than buying small squares. It really does give you an idea of how dusty roundbales are though. At least by pulling it apart the dust more or less goes while I walk it out there. I like the roundbales because its easier for us to feed, and easier to keep the hay infront of them 24/7 though next year I might try a little harder and see if I can get the large squares. My concern with the large squares is storage though. Like I'm sure I could find storage space for small squares in the lower barn (though its kind of damp in there) but where would I put those huge squares? Of course they'd be easier to tarp than a roundbale lol.

Anyway, we bought seeds for the garden the other day and I'm starting to get a little excited about spring coming. I need to start work on getting raised beds in, and we'll be putting up the fence up around the garden this year to keep the chickens and ducks (and the barnkitties!) out of the garden. We need to call a couple AG yards and get some prices to have soil trucked in and dumped by the barn and we'll fill up the pick-up with soil and bring it up to the house (not enough room for a big dump truck to turn up at the house). We've also got to get the concrete guys in to do the foundation for the garage, and I'm just in the planning stages of the new chicken emporium. The ice shed was a quick fix for them but unfortunately its not that practical for chickens and would be better suited to the goats IMO. The chickens need something purpose built that is extremely easy to keep clean, the ice shed is more suited to goats and would free up the little goatie house to be moved to the back of the garage to accomodate the girlydogs this year before we get the garage finished.

If ANY of that made sense to you, well good job! lol. The garage is getting a foundation slab this year and we're closing up the front wall of it with the big garage doors, and putting in a man door and hopefully insulating this winter. Next summer the woodstove will go in it, and "kennels" will go in it and the workshop for mum. It's pretty much useless as a garage because the roof is so low on the front to accomodate a truck lol.

I took Luna's blanket off her today. I went down to feed and do her hay and it was so warm out! Beautiful and warm out today so when I fed her I felt under her blanket which is a mid-weight turnout (220g of polyfill I think) and she felt a little hot so I whipped that thing off and let her go nekkie. I'm going to keep a blanket off her tonight, and throw her shell on her tomorrow likely because we are expecting a bit of rain. Her and Mylie have been laying about today because its so sunny out. Though, Luna likes to lay in her hay pile and flatten it so its always a flat patch of hay when I get down there lol. Mylie won't lay in her hay, she lays in the snow or on the grass, not hay.

Off to fill up Mylie's water now! and find a ruler so I can draw out my chicken emporium design ;)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We decided on the final size of the new chicken house today. We've been talking it over a lot, we started with 8x10 for 11 chickens, but knowing it is unlikely we will ever go much over 11 chickens we decided it was probably a bit large for our needs. Then we went to 8x8, still lots of room and really still on the larger side IMO. I think we've settled on a 6x8 coop for 11 chickens with a covered sun-deck instead of a run. Since our chickens free range all summer long from morning to when it starts to get dark out, we aren't in real need of a big run. I decided to build a nice covered deck for them with 1ft walls to keep most of the snow/wind out and wire above to extend our living space on days when it is not great for them to be free ranging.

We were at Chisholms Lumber a few weeks ago and mum noticed this log effect pine v-groove siding, and we've decided to side our chicken palace in that and paint it the green to match the house siding that will be on in the next couple years, it'll also match the goat barn. Our trim will be cream to match the trim on the other buildings, and our doors will be cranberry red to match the house and other buildings.

I saw a comment I believe Patandchickens made about the design of outside mounted nestboxes and we've decided to go with interior mounted (reusing my current nest boxes and adding 1 more likely) and using a hatch/flap on the outside wall to reach in.

I can't wait for the goaties to move into the ice shed and for the fences to go up this year. I can't wait for spring to be sprung! We've got our seeds for the garden sitting in the kitchen waiting to be planted, and the barn company is coming to replace boards on our barn and fix the roof where we have a leak, and the garage is getting a slab foundation! Not to mention Mylie being restarted under saddle by my coach.

Something mum and I have also been talking about is starting a website of abandonned structures in the Hastings County area. I love old and abandonned houses and I love taking photos of them. My dad even donated a really nice Minolta SLR camera and I have a Minolta Digital SLR that used to be his. Our house is filled with prints of abandonned buildings that I've taken and framed for my parents, and my mum adores the age and beauty of them.