lupinfarm's journal: a pretty little wilderness

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well.... Here I am, oil was delivered Friday.

Also, here is that poem I neglected to post! Our schools principal is insisting they be shown in the foyer of our school in the big display case.

Unpacking

Like the seasons you are
fitting, fading, blending.
Chameleon tendencies,
green to yellow to red.

Daffodils tickle
backs of knees,
you are playful
spring mornings.
Pushing onward you are,
sticky strawberry mess
smeared across mouths,
savouring flavours
of balmy summer heat.

Like the seasons you are
fitting, fading, blending.
An open box on the surface
of my tousled bed covers,
the contents are everywhere,
the memories are present,
The photographs askew.

Also, today I totally got a pair of purple skinny jeans... turns out I've lost a pant size, from a size 18 to a size 16 which makes me incredibly happy beyond all logical idea of happiness.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would be happy also!! Want me to do the skinny purple pants bunny dance for you?

:bun :bun :bun :bun

Congratulations!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, nothing much to say!

We put in our order at Performance Poultry yesterday through their website. We've ordered 5 EE chicks and 3 buff ducks. We're due to pick them up I think either May 1st or 2nd, that's the hatch day we selected so we'll see.

We're also ordering some meat chicks, but we're not sure how many! ... We want to have enough for almost the entire winter or at least for half of it. Mum was thinking of 30 meat chicks.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Yippee on the purple skinny pants. You need to post a pic of those.

New babies in March. Something to look forward to.

I want ducks so bad. Will hopefully sneak an order past my DH a little later on. He won't be thrilled but then - oh well. I figure he will like them when they get here. LOL

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Really great poem and very descriptive.

Yeah, on the skinny pants!!

Good luck and study hard for the exams!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Good poem! Congrats :)

Now you and Morelcabin have me all paranoid about waiting to long to order chicks :p So I finally quit dithering and emailed my order in to Jason (3 BBB turkeys, 6 pullet EEs). Thanks for getting me off my butt LOL

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
popping in to say HI
and hope all is going well for you in the frozen tundra! :)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wow, have you guys noticed the prices of the chicks this year? :ep
They want $4.25 for bantams...and my Chanteclers are $4.45 each.
I remember not to long ago chicks used to be about $2 each
Inflation...gets yu everytime.

Yes. Pat i would definitely be getting your order in early. Last year I called in June and there was no way I was getting on any list:>)

I've never done meat birds before Lupin, but I hear they are one big stinky mess:>)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Wow, have you guys noticed the prices of the chicks this year? :ep
They want $4.25 for bantams...and my Chanteclers are $4.45 each.
I remember not to long ago chicks used to be about $2 each
Inflation...gets yu everytime.

Yes. Pat i would definitely be getting your order in early. Last year I called in June and there was no way I was getting on any list:>)

I've never done meat birds before Lupin, but I hear they are one big stinky mess:>)
Haha yeah he's expensive, but he's also a smaller operation so the cost of running is higher, and we'd rather pay more and buy locally which he is to us!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well this week I have no classes because it's the only time the school gets to mark our exams!

I'm so excited to get our chicks and ducklings, it's so far away but I do still have a lot to do on the duck house and the coop needs some work finishing on it before more can move in. We're brooding this year in plastic totes because we're buying less than we did last time. We figured that a large number and large brooder the first time around and then just add on a couple each year kind of thing.

Next year we're thinking of selling a few chicks, hatching only as many as are ordered locally.

I really want to start a poultry supply business because as we all know it's terribly difficult to find poultry supplies. I looked for over two weeks for a new waterer for the girls after Kevin broke ours, and only just found it last week fo $54.99 at the co-op in Tweed, it's 7 gallons and has a valve that only refills once they've drunk some of the water, it also hardly ever freezes because the plastic is thicker than the old one.

Theres a cute little storefront in Springbrook we were going to look into renting next year, but for now we're going to run the business once we get started out of the barn, chicks hatched in the house and the poultry and hobby farm supply store in the barn (we have a small parking lot outside our barn so we're all set for parking).

Also, we've decided that come spring we're going to start get some goat kids. We're salvaging the old paige wire that was on the original farm fencing, there's some pretty huge sections out there and they're all in decent condition so we'll clip them off the t-posts, take the t-posts out for future use, then attach them to the back of the horse fencing so we can almost immediately accomodate goats come spring/summer.

Also, I HIGHLY reccommend these "whole house air fresheners" from LOWES. You stick them on your furnace filter and MAN are they awesome. We decided to try it out because oil furnaces don't smell so fresh and lovely despite it being a new furnace, I mean compared to the natural gas furnace we had at the old house. We put it on today, and it smells like christmas in here! My brother came home and wanted to know if there was any apple cider left for him! WE DIDN'T MAKE ANY, it was just the lovely scent of cinnamon coming out of the air vents.

My mums bestfriend and my riding coach Daina is coming back to Ontario from Alberta in April to stay at our house with her youngest daughter Naobi. Avery and Jade are going to stay at Avery's dad's house in Alberta (Avery is from a previous marriage, and Jade and Naobi are from her Common-law marriage with Peter, which is now broken up thank heavens..he was just a drain). She's going to be horse hunting with my mum, looking for a good prospect for myself and Kevin, probably going to go to the Peterborough Auction... the one all the meat horses go through, kind of like how Claremont used to be back in the day. Daina has an amazing eye, I mean.. Pal was just a ratty, burred up, skinny, and pie plate footed horse at the auction and he turned out to be a wonderful lower-level dressage prospect when he was younger (and when I first started riding him as my own).

Kevin has a natural jumper seat and he has the guts, so my mum wants to get him back into riding as well and because he is light he can still train up larger ponies.