lupinfarm's journal: a pretty little wilderness

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
well you sound quite comfortable with all this happening and that is a great thing.

I love that show paranormal state. they have some woozeys happening..LOL

I saw the rescue mediums a few times. I think it is missing in the tv lineup now, at least I can't seem to find it and that is cool you know where some of those homes are.

they say when you renovate an older home you can stir things up...who knows right?

Lily of the Valley---wow...that is one of my fav scents. Just heavenly fragrance! :)
LOL paranormal state rules my life, I could spend days watching that show. I'm perfectly okay with something not quite human in my house, so long as it means no harm. I went to a school once upon a time that had a poltergeist LOL, very amusing times there.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like animal stories, especially horses...LOL...they are my top critter! My horse passed from twisted gut about 8 mos. ago. Now waiting for Nicole to be a little older and then buying 2--one for her and one for me. Can't wait to have another horse. They are best!

I meant to ask ya....how many boarders do you currently have? Just wondering.

I hear ya on rushing the gate. When I lived up north I boarded my QH Willy. He was in a big pasture with like 30 other horses. They were fed 2 times per day.....brought into their stalls in the morning and late afternoon. Well needless to say when it was feeding time all horses wanted thru that gate...LOL...I had many toes stepped on many times...LOL

wow your Dad sure had the ordeal. that must have been quite a scary time for your family! I am so glad all was caught early and it gave him so many more years wtih you!

I will never debate religion. Everyone has their feelings and everyone has ins and outs with God in general..LOL...so that is your personal journey thru life. Your own experiences.

Also, is your boarding kennel very active? Do alot of people still board their dogs? I was wondering with the money crunch happening if people are going away less on holiday and if they are staying home more, did your boarding kennel get less business now??? just wondering how the economy might have effected that business.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I like animal stories, especially horses...LOL...they are my top critter! My horse passed from twisted gut about 8 mos. ago. Now waiting for Nicole to be a little older and then buying 2--one for her and one for me. Can't wait to have another horse. They are best!

I meant to ask ya....how many boarders do you currently have? Just wondering.

I hear ya on rushing the gate. When I lived up north I boarded my QH Willy. He was in a big pasture with like 30 other horses. They were fed 2 times per day.....brought into their stalls in the morning and late afternoon. Well needless to say when it was feeding time all horses wanted thru that gate...LOL...I had many toes stepped on many times...LOL

wow your Dad sure had the ordeal. that must have been quite a scary time for your family! I am so glad all was caught early and it gave him so many more years wtih you!

I will never debate religion. Everyone has their feelings and everyone has ins and outs with God in general..LOL...so that is your personal journey thru life. Your own experiences.

Also, is your boarding kennel very active? Do alot of people still board their dogs? I was wondering with the money crunch happening if people are going away less on holiday and if they are staying home more, did your boarding kennel get less business now??? just wondering how the economy might have effected that business.
We only board the dogs of those we have sold puppies to :) Technically, we aren't allowed to run a boarding kennel on our property, but we spoke with the county and they said we could board dogs we have sold as puppies. Horse wise, we had 2 boarders but we had to close for a while when the well needed doing (we had a freeze proof submersible pump system installed), and are waiting to re-open in the spring. We have pasture board only right now, as the barn needs renovating, but once the spring comes we should have at least one run-in shelter in the bottom field, and hopefully a few stalls up and running for part-time board. We grain twice a day but will do custom feeding as well, we seperate to grain, to prevent herd dependency, and usually insist on at least half an hour of one-on-one time a day in the round pen for younger horses, checking them over for injuries, adjusting winter blankets or fly masks, spraying with fly spray in the summer, etc.

:)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, we got our first egg from the girls today, totally exciting moment that was! ...

I know this has nothing to do with our farm, or anything, but It's pretty important to me as an individual. I have a friend, his name is Kemp, and for a very long time I won't lie, I have liked him a lot. Sure I'm 19, but there is just something, I know a lot of people can understand, just something, we're so similar, etc. and get along so well. I've had previous 'relations,' with him in the past, but it's never gone anywhere.

My bestfriend has always said he just runs, see we're from two very different social circles, and unfortunately for me, i'm not the kind his 'group,' want him around. I've gone to school with him almost my whole life, and his friends, and yet they have no idea who I am, even though they've spoken to me, etc. Well he had a girlfriend for a long time, just over a year I believe, and he's just broken up with her. I cannot express how completely and utterly happy I am about it. I just thought I'd share, because he means a lot to me, and things have been different since he moved to Balmertown last year, we've spoken a lot more, spent hours talking, and it's just different from all the other times.

ANYHOW, Dad is here this weekend, and we're going to be hooking up a feeding system for the girls' crushed oyster shells, I'm going to get some PVC and rig something up for their oyster shells now, as they just throw all the shavings in the dish I put in for them. Messy girls they are. I'm also going to be re-jigging the nestboxes, taking the ones I have down, and instead turning the divider wall into a nestbox wall, with the nests at the bottom then wire to the top of the henhouse.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
That FIRST egg is important.....so :weee

As for the boyfriend....Everything always works out for the best. We just don't always know what the best is going to be. But the dreaming about and thinking about our futures are all part of it.
It is what makes the getting to the point we are suppose to be
fun sometimes. So keep on thinking, planning, dreaming and wondering.

Sounds like a busy weekend for you and your Dad. Enjoy the time with him.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2dream said:
That FIRST egg is important.....so :weee

As for the boyfriend....Everything always works out for the best. We just don't always know what the best is going to be. But the dreaming about and thinking about our futures are all part of it.
It is what makes the getting to the point we are suppose to be
fun sometimes. So keep on thinking, planning, dreaming and wondering.

Sounds like a busy weekend for you and your Dad. Enjoy the time with him.
Bahaha, We got a second egg today, and I think I know which girl is laying them, she was awfully unimpressed with me taking the egg LOL.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hmmm...on the boyfriend

he is unattached right now....hey strike up some conversations etc. and see if it can go anywhere....you never know.

as for "his circle" of friends being different, fluff them off...LOL...it isn't THEIR choice for whom he might want to be with..........so hang in there and see if it can go anywhere, you would be surprised how long it takes a guy to figure out what type of woman he wants and go forward with his future with a nice gal.

the future can hold a ton of surprised in the love department..HA HA HA

and that chicken, tell her not to ruffle her feathers, that you are eating that egg..HA HA HA

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh Eggs, How exciting!

Eggs are wonderful! I love eggs so much (except for how they taste - thats just nasty!) I love multiple colors of eggs! What kind was your first egg??

Congratulations!

My favorite nest boxes arent boxes at all! I use 5 gallon buckets, with half of the lids cut off - the edges are smoothed, no harm to the girlies, and very nice even my biggest hen, so easy to clean out the straw or shavings, no fear of any bugs lurking, so its sanitary...and I can attach them to anything. I've considered painting them pretty colors, but nah...white is good!

Tina/tfpets

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
hmmm...on the boyfriend

he is unattached right now....hey strike up some conversations etc. and see if it can go anywhere....you never know.

as for "his circle" of friends being different, fluff them off...LOL...it isn't THEIR choice for whom he might want to be with..........so hang in there and see if it can go anywhere, you would be surprised how long it takes a guy to figure out what type of woman he wants and go forward with his future with a nice gal.

the future can hold a ton of surprised in the love department..HA HA HA

and that chicken, tell her not to ruffle her feathers, that you are eating that egg..HA HA HA
Yep, I have a dishy past with him, and he moved up north because his dad got a job in the gold mines last year, and I was the only person who ever spoke to him, and we kind of bonded while he was gone, and he'll be back next week in my old town. What makes me think, something could happen is that he's never been too great with calling me, or actually keep hang out times, etc. And he said he wouldn't be on much the next week cause he's packing and leaving Balmertown Tuesday, but he'll call me when he gets to the station down by my old town.

I am totally excited to see him, I'm supposed to be going to hang with him over the Chrimbo holls, so we'll see what happens! Everyone, including my own parents, think we're pretty much meant for each other, so I'll see.

LOL I went in to check on them just now as I was gone all day and I'm usually the one who locks them up at night, and they were all very angry with me for turning the little nightlight on so I could see.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tfpets said:
Oh Eggs, How exciting!

Eggs are wonderful! I love eggs so much (except for how they taste - thats just nasty!) I love multiple colors of eggs! What kind was your first egg??

Congratulations!

My favorite nest boxes arent boxes at all! I use 5 gallon buckets, with half of the lids cut off - the edges are smoothed, no harm to the girlies, and very nice even my biggest hen, so easy to clean out the straw or shavings, no fear of any bugs lurking, so its sanitary...and I can attach them to anything. I've considered painting them pretty colors, but nah...white is good!

Tina/tfpets
I have these storage crates that are kind of like milk crates from Zellers, they're purple and they're a bit smaller in one measurement than a traditional nest box, but they're 17 inches wide lol, and 11.5 inches deep and tall. My girls fit, they've shown me they fit while they eat their nests LOL, they're just lazy buggers. This morning we got a second egg from the same girl, and she laid it in the corner near the nest boxes, so we're getting closer!

Unfortunately though I have to use shavings in my boxes as they eat their hay nests, and I'd be a little nervous about putting straw in if they eat the hay, because if they ate the straw, well i'm not too giddy about getting an impacted crop to deal with lol.

Oh well!

And they're just large brown egg layers, Rhode Island Red X Col. Rock... essentially Red sex links, my girls are red, and the roos grow up white with a bit of black on them. They have very pretty pencilling around their necks lol. We're ordering 5 EE's from Performance Poultry in January, and 3 Buff Ducks... I'm building the duck house now, but I've stopped work until the Chrimbo holls next week when I can spend the day working on it, as by the time I get home from school there is only about half an hour to an hour left of daylight.